Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious...
What was the last non-Kindle book you bought?
Why didn't you buy it on your Kindle?
Where did you buy it? And how much was it?

***
Mine was The Elegance of the Hedgehog
by Muriel Barbery and Alison Anderson


I found it while browsing in a B&N bookstore. As soon as I got home I looked it up on my Kindle to see if it was available and it wasn't. So I ordered it from Amazon for $10.20.
I am embarrassed to admit that I haven't read it yet. I tried, but it didn't grab me like I thought it would so I put it aside for a little while.
This is one of the reasons I find the "sample" feature on the Kindle to be a money saver for me.

How about you?
 
B

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
The Story of Edgar Sawtelle, thanks to Oprah. It was her book club recommendation. Bought it in hardback about a week before her Kindle show. I am about half way through it right now. Not enjoying it as much as I thought I would.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
122 Posts
Mine was "Brisingr" by Christopher Paolini. And I bought it because I didn't have my Kindle yet, then turned around and bought it for my Kindle when it arrived.

Just doing what I can to help the economy... ::)

Nemo
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Love by Toni Morrison. The hardcover was on sale for 5.95 + my 25% discount, and I just couldn't help myself.  I haven't started reading it yet, but I'm starting to realize I need to stay away from book sections of stores, because there is just something too tempting of having a real book in my hand, especially at such a good price. 

(Sidenote: Just checked Amazon and the hardcover is almost $20, so I did technically get a good deal, but the Kindle version is 4.95.)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,898 Posts
I am reading The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair that Changed America on Sundog. That piqued my interest in the 1893 world's fair. So last weekend I bought print copy of America At the Fair: Chicago's 1893 World's Columbian Exposition. It still is mostly text, but there are more pictures which I wanted.

I still am buying print books -- "picture books". I am into hard cover books which include pictures on a variety of subjects. I know I have some serious $$ in those books. Don't regret it though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
LuckyRainbow said:
The Story of Edgar Sawtelle, thanks to Oprah. It was her book club recommendation. Bought it in hardback about a week before her Kindle show. I am about half way through it right now. Not enjoying it as much as I thought I would.
I read that on my Kindle. I thought it was a most wonderful book but that it was very emotionally difficult to read. I truly enjoyed it, but admit to getting this aching heart heavy feeling during parts of it (I tend to identify too deeply when I am really wrapped up in a character in a book or on TV).

I thought the writing was gorgeous and I especially loved how the character of Edgar unfolded throughout the book. Very unique. I hope you end up enjoying it as much as I did.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
829 Posts
Suite Francaise   -  I never got to read it yet.  Will probably download it to Kindle.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
19,280 Posts
Sometimes I wonder if I should be honest with you guys...LOL. I could make up a book but really, it was The Humble Little Condom: A History. I needed it for a project I was working on and I really wished there was a Kindle version! I skimmed through it and got the info I needed. It's a fun book, written in a humorous way. It is not something to sit and read....

 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
63,461 Posts
Leslie said:
Sometimes I wonder if I should be honest with you guys...LOL. I could make up a book but really, it was The Humble Little Condom: A History. I needed it for a project I was working on and I really wished there was a Kindle version! I skimmed through it and got the info I needed. It's a fun book, written in a humorous way. It is not something to sit and read....

LOL! Amazon's going to wonder when there are suddenly a lot of orders....

Betsy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26,676 Posts
I was at the library before I got my Kindle and bought:

The Queen's Fool by Philippa Gregory $2
Comeback by Dick Francis $2
The Lion of Justice by Jean Plaidy 10 cents.

Then Gertie K. arrived and those three books have been sitting on my shelves lonely and unread.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,581 Posts
Leslie said:
Sometimes I wonder if I should be honest with you guys...LOL. I could make up a book but really, it was The Humble Little Condom: A History. I needed it for a project I was working on and I really wished there was a Kindle version! I skimmed through it and got the info I needed. It's a fun book, written in a humorous way. It is not something to sit and read....

Had to quote it again because I LMAO at this one!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
829 Posts
Leslie said:
Sometimes I wonder if I should be honest with you guys...LOL. I could make up a book but really, it was The Humble Little Condom: A History. I needed it for a project I was working on and I really wished there was a Kindle version! I skimmed through it and got the info I needed. It's a fun book, written in a humorous way. It is not something to sit and read....

SURE it was for a project. SURE it was. (I hope it didn't have pictures - omg - I'm laughing so hard my side hurts.. probably sleep deprivation
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,205 Posts
A bunch of books at once, actually:

- The Touch and Titus Crow (both by Brian Lumley)
- Skywalking (about George Lucas)
- Time and Again (two Nora Roberts books about time travel)

And a few others, but those are the notable ones.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
Sandpiper said:
I am reading The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair that Changed America on Sundog. That piqued my interest in the 1893 world's fair. So last weekend I bought print copy of America At the Fair: Chicago's 1893 World's Columbian Exposition. It still is mostly text, but there are more pictures which I wanted.

I still am buying print books -- "picture books". I am into hard cover books which include pictures on a variety of subjects. I know I have some serious $$ in those books. Don't regret it though.
I'm reading that on my Kindle now. Loving it. Last book I bought was the current Bathroom Reader! I also buy coffee table books, mainly travel, odd places to visit, Route 66 weird things to see, etc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
731 Posts
Ender in Exile
by Orson Scott Card. Yet another book that gave no indication that there would be a Kindle edition released on the same day as the book. The hardcover arrived yesterday and cost $17.13. That's more than the Kindle edition but less than the price listed when I ordered it. Oh well...it was a great book.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,879 Posts
Last non-Kindle book before Kindle purchase:
and


Last non-Kindle book purchased this past Tuesday evening, 11/11:
Author was speaking at an event I attended in Houston this week. I couldn't resist... he was signing them! :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
146 Posts
Ehm, Patricia Briggs latest, although the title completely eludes me at this moment. But I didn't have a Kindle yet. I think it's actually available on the Kindle, so that's sort of a shame.

Peh, the Kindle has actually been horrible for my finances. Amazon kept recommending A Wallflower Christmas to me, so I read it, and I liked it so much, I ended up buying about 8 books from the same author. And now I want more, and she hasn't written them yet! :'(

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,879 Posts
RovingSoul said:
Ehm, Patricia Briggs latest, although the title completely eludes me at this moment. But I didn't have a Kindle yet. I think it's actually available on the Kindle, so that's sort of a shame.

Peh, the Kindle has actually been horrible for my finances. Amazon kept recommending A Wallflower Christmas to me, so I read it, and I liked it so much, I ended up buying about 8 books from the same author. And now I want more, and she hasn't written them yet! :'(
You need to start taking advantage of Coinstar and convert your loose change into an Amazon Gift Card. That's what I did!
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Top