Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious...
What was the last non-Kindle book you bought?
Why didn't you buy it on your Kindle?
Where did you buy it? And how much was it?

Mine was The Elegance of the Hedgehog
by Muriel Barbery and Alison Anderson

I found it while browsing in a B&N bookstore. As soon as I got home I looked it up on my Kindle to see if it was available and it wasn't. So I ordered it from Amazon for $10.20.
I am embarrassed to admit that I haven't read it yet. I tried, but it didn't grab me like I thought it would so I put it aside for a little while.
This is one of the reasons I find the "sample" feature on the Kindle to be a money saver for me.

How about you?

B

·
0 Posts
The Story of Edgar Sawtelle, thanks to Oprah. It was her book club recommendation. Bought it in hardback about a week before her Kindle show. I am about half way through it right now. Not enjoying it as much as I thought I would.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Mine was "Brisingr" by Christopher Paolini. And I bought it because I didn't have my Kindle yet, then turned around and bought it for my Kindle when it arrived.

Just doing what I can to help the economy... ::)

Nemo

·
Registered
10 Posts
Love by Toni Morrison. The hardcover was on sale for 5.95 + my 25% discount, and I just couldn't help myself.  I haven't started reading it yet, but I'm starting to realize I need to stay away from book sections of stores, because there is just something too tempting of having a real book in my hand, especially at such a good price. 

(Sidenote: Just checked Amazon and the hardcover is almost $20, so I did technically get a good deal, but the Kindle version is 4.95.)

·
Registered
4,898 Posts
I am reading The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair that Changed America on Sundog. That piqued my interest in the 1893 world's fair. So last weekend I bought print copy of America At the Fair: Chicago's 1893 World's Columbian Exposition. It still is mostly text, but there are more pictures which I wanted.

I still am buying print books -- "picture books". I am into hard cover books which include pictures on a variety of subjects. I know I have some serious $$ in those books. Don't regret it though.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
LuckyRainbow said:
The Story of Edgar Sawtelle, thanks to Oprah. It was her book club recommendation. Bought it in hardback about a week before her Kindle show. I am about half way through it right now. Not enjoying it as much as I thought I would.
I read that on my Kindle. I thought it was a most wonderful book but that it was very emotionally difficult to read. I truly enjoyed it, but admit to getting this aching heart heavy feeling during parts of it (I tend to identify too deeply when I am really wrapped up in a character in a book or on TV).

I thought the writing was gorgeous and I especially loved how the character of Edgar unfolded throughout the book. Very unique. I hope you end up enjoying it as much as I did.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Suite Francaise   -  I never got to read it yet.  Will probably download it to Kindle.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Sometimes I wonder if I should be honest with you guys...LOL. I could make up a book but really, it was The Humble Little Condom: A History. I needed it for a project I was working on and I really wished there was a Kindle version! I skimmed through it and got the info I needed. It's a fun book, written in a humorous way. It is not something to sit and read....

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Leslie said:
Sometimes I wonder if I should be honest with you guys...LOL. I could make up a book but really, it was The Humble Little Condom: A History. I needed it for a project I was working on and I really wished there was a Kindle version! I skimmed through it and got the info I needed. It's a fun book, written in a humorous way. It is not something to sit and read....

LOL! Amazon's going to wonder when there are suddenly a lot of orders....

Betsy

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
I was at the library before I got my Kindle and bought:

The Queen's Fool by Philippa Gregory $2
Comeback by Dick Francis $2
The Lion of Justice by Jean Plaidy 10 cents.

Then Gertie K. arrived and those three books have been sitting on my shelves lonely and unread.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Leslie said:

Had to quote it again because I LMAO at this one!

·
Registered
829 Posts
Leslie said:

SURE it was for a project. SURE it was. (I hope it didn't have pictures - omg - I'm laughing so hard my side hurts.. probably sleep deprivation

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
A bunch of books at once, actually:

- The Touch and Titus Crow (both by Brian Lumley)
- Skywalking (about George Lucas)
- Time and Again (two Nora Roberts books about time travel)

And a few others, but those are the notable ones.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Sandpiper said:
I am reading The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair that Changed America on Sundog. That piqued my interest in the 1893 world's fair. So last weekend I bought print copy of America At the Fair: Chicago's 1893 World's Columbian Exposition. It still is mostly text, but there are more pictures which I wanted.

I still am buying print books -- "picture books". I am into hard cover books which include pictures on a variety of subjects. I know I have some serious $$ in those books. Don't regret it though.
I'm reading that on my Kindle now. Loving it. Last book I bought was the current Bathroom Reader! I also buy coffee table books, mainly travel, odd places to visit, Route 66 weird things to see, etc.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Ender in Exile
by Orson Scott Card. Yet another book that gave no indication that there would be a Kindle edition released on the same day as the book. The hardcover arrived yesterday and cost $17.13. That's more than the Kindle edition but less than the price listed when I ordered it. Oh well...it was a great book.

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
Last non-Kindle book before Kindle purchase:
and

Last non-Kindle book purchased this past Tuesday evening, 11/11:
Author was speaking at an event I attended in Houston this week. I couldn't resist... he was signing them! :)

·
Registered
146 Posts
Ehm, Patricia Briggs latest, although the title completely eludes me at this moment. But I didn't have a Kindle yet. I think it's actually available on the Kindle, so that's sort of a shame.

Peh, the Kindle has actually been horrible for my finances. Amazon kept recommending A Wallflower Christmas to me, so I read it, and I liked it so much, I ended up buying about 8 books from the same author. And now I want more, and she hasn't written them yet! :'(

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
RovingSoul said:
Ehm, Patricia Briggs latest, although the title completely eludes me at this moment. But I didn't have a Kindle yet. I think it's actually available on the Kindle, so that's sort of a shame.

Peh, the Kindle has actually been horrible for my finances. Amazon kept recommending A Wallflower Christmas to me, so I read it, and I liked it so much, I ended up buying about 8 books from the same author. And now I want more, and she hasn't written them yet! :'(
You need to start taking advantage of Coinstar and convert your loose change into an Amazon Gift Card. That's what I did!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts