Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Betsy the Quilter said:
Hey, JMiked, love the Alfa logo! Do you have an Alfa? My husband had a '74 Spider Veloce when we met, and has owned a '67 GTV, a '67 Gulia Super sedan, and some four door sedan that he can't recall. I was very upset when he sold the Spider, although he bought something else to replace it.

Betsy
Whoa! I got to this really late, sorry. Yes, I owned a 1966 Giulia Sprint GT. It was a gem of a car, and I've always regretted that I sold it. Until I remember the incredible booming exhaust resonance at 70mph, the lack of air conditioning, the seats that were too short, the steering wheel that was too far away, the weird tire size, the unusable back seat, the claustrophobic side windows, and a few other things. But it was a real driver's car, very precise, very responsive.

I was lucky, I guess..... I didn't care for the pre- or post-1966 models all that much with the exception of the Canguro (never produced) and the Montreal (not legally available in the US).

I finally had enough of no A/C in the Texas heat and traded it off on a 1968 Mercedes sedan. Talk about culture shock.

Mike

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
jmiked said:
I finally had enough of no A/C in the Texas heat and traded it off on a 1968 Mercedes sedan. Talk about culture shock.
Mike
Mike--

Yes, that would be culture shock! I eventually filled my roadster gap with a Mazda Miata. With the Mazda, I found that we didn't need to carry a mallet with us to hit the fuel pump like we did with the Alfa! And I could drive it every day (and a great track car!) So I understand culture shock.

Betsy

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Betsy the Quilter said:
Mike--

Yes, that would be culture shock! I eventually filled my roadster gap with a Mazda Miata. With the Mazda, I found that we didn't need to carry a mallet with us to hit the fuel pump like we did with the Alfa! And I could drive it every day (and a great track car!) So I understand culture shock.

Betsy
Just for grins... Here's a picture of me and my first car (a fairly rare 1959 XK-150 Jaguar):

Probably should go in the Photo Gallery, but I'm claiming that it's one of the best Kindle accessories ever.

Mike

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
aaargh I must have picked the wrong thing from the drop down menu.   Oh, well, they both had "Kindle" in them, LOL!

Leslie?  Pidgeon?  Harvey??? Can't move stuff here....HEEELLLPPP!  Please move to Not Quite Kindle as I intended.

Betsy

·
Registered
76 Posts
My first car was a hand me down from my Dad - a 1965 Chevy Belair.
Sadly I have never owned my favorite car. A 1980 280ZX in fire engine red.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
My first car was 53 4 door Chevy  I got 15 miles on a gallon of gas and 3 miles on a quart of oil.

My favorite car was and  still is 56 T-Bird

Dh got me a 02 T-Bird (I wish it was 40 years and 60 pound sooner)  can only fit 1 grandson  at a time it. Try teaching the other to run outside  of car but he can't keep up, and the dog doesn't fit so it just sits on driveway, 6 years old with 3,000 miles on it..

Next car will be a hybrid

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
My first car my parent bought for me (but I never drove) they bought before I has sixteen....mom realized that it had no airbag or adequate safety feature and made dad sell it. It was a 1989 thunderbird...Same year as me. Then I got a 1996 Honda, which I had three years before I could drive. My friends' car accident scared me from driving for a long time. I waited until I HAD to get my licence to get it. I still drive the same car...I feel like such a baby on the forum.

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
As far as favorite car, I'd have to go with my current one. A turbo-charged Volvo sedan.... fast, exceptionally comfortable, very quiet, 35+mpg highway (19 in town, pfui).

And paid for.

Mike

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Jmiked! I know what your avatar is!!! Its an enso painting. :D

This is the first time I used what I learned in asian art outside of asian art class. lol

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
My first car was a 1952 Ford. I used that when I visited the family in N.J.

The car I drove to college was a 1950 tankChevy.

My favorite car was my Triumph Spitfire. I can't remember the year, maybe 1960.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My 1st car was a 1972 Vega. (aka: Spit) My dad was anal about his girls knowing how cars worked, so we pulled EVERYTHING out from under Spit's hood and replaced it with Porsche innards. It was really fast and I got a great understanding of cars. My 1st car that I bought was a 1980 Fiat X19. (aka: Tony) Tony was the best car and required very little maintenance. I had a kid come to my job to do oil changes, etc. Tony was fast and sleek. In order for my boyfriend to ride with me, his parents paid for me go to Laguna Seca raceway to learn defensive driving. My favorite car is my 1999 M3 BMW convertible. (aka: Toots) There is just no comparison to this unbelievable driving machine. Think change lanes and you are done. Have to do a quick slalom down HWY 280, no problem. Yes, I do tend to drive a little fast, but before you all jump on me, I am 46 years old and I drive very responsibly. I do not drive aggressively in traffic; I keep a very respectable distance from the car in front of me; I USE my turn signals ... I just like to kick it up a notch if the elements present themselves.

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Vegas_Asian said:
Jmiked! I know what your avatar is!!! Its an enso painting. :D
This is the first time I used what I learned in asian art outside of asian art class. lol
You are probably the only person that will ever identify it, heh.

:) :)

Mike

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
My first car was a hand-me-down from my grandmother: a 1966 Ford Fairlane, white with blue seats that I nicknamed "White Bullet."

My favorite car is probably my present car: 2005 9-3 Saab convertible, that we bought in Trollhatten, Sweden (this is me in front of the dealership).

To be honest, whatever car is "my" car at the moment is usually my favorite car. I even loved my little Datsun B-210 that I had a million years ago (after the Ford Fairlane!).

L

1 - 20 of 66 Posts