Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
12,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife borrowed In Bruges
from our library for us to watch this week. It's been highly recommended by a work friend of mine.

Anyone seen it?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Less humorous and more brilliant than you would guess by watching the trailer or reading the back of the case. Has a very "Sexy Beast" vibe, and Jordan Prentice's "Jimmy" completely steals the film. Great, great movie.

·
Registered
273 Posts
The Day that the Earth Stood Still.  The original 1951 version.

G

·
tc said:
The Day that the Earth Stood Still. The original 1951 version.
One of the all time genre greats, along with Forbidden Planet.

Michael Rennie was ill
The Day the Earth Stood Still
But he told us where we stand

And Flash Gordon was there
In silver underwear
Claude Rains was The Invisible Man

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
I was in Bruges when they were filming In Bruges so I definitely wanted to see it. It was more violent than my usual taste and I probably would not have opted to see it under typical circumstances. But overall it was good. I really liked Colin Farrell. And of course, the scenery was beautiful.

L

G

·
Yo Leslie,
Since you seem to watch these types of movies for the "scenery" (I like to read Playboy for the articles), I thought you'd like to know that I am the body double for Huge Jackman and Colin Farrell. Here is another sample of my work:

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
I just wanted to share - and WARN - this past weekend I officially watched the dumbest movie ever made. We watched it on recommendation from a couple of friends, downloaded it from itunes movies and hooked it up to the tv. I had high hopes.
Let me first say I'm a big fan of semi-stupid movies (Love Adam Sandler, that kind of thing). This one stars Luke Wilson and is called Idiocracy. It sounds kind of dumb, but I love him so gave it a shot. The premise is this: a man (Luke Wilson) gets 'frozen' in an army experiment, and long story short gets woken up somewhere around the year of 2500. Basically, smart people stopped procreating in the past couple of centuries, and stupid people bred like rabbits. So, at this time when he wakes up the world is run by total morons, and he is the smartest man in the world.
Sounds at least semi-interesting, right? WRONG! It was, by far, the most awful movie I have ever seen. And I've seen some awful movies. I was definitely dumber for having watched it. Stay away....FAR away!!

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Jen said:
I just wanted to share - and WARN - this past weekend I officially watched the dumbest movie ever made. We watched it on recommendation from a couple of friends, downloaded it from itunes movies and hooked it up to the tv. I had high hopes.
Let me first say I'm a big fan of semi-stupid movies (Love Adam Sandler, that kind of thing). This one stars Luke Wilson and is called Idiocracy. It sounds kind of dumb, but I love him so gave it a shot. The premise is this: a man (Luke Wilson) gets 'frozen' in an army experiment, and long story short gets woken up somewhere around the year of 2500. Basically, smart people stopped procreating in the past couple of centuries, and stupid people bred like rabbits. So, at this time when he wakes up the world is run by total morons, and he is the smartest man in the world.
Sounds at least semi-interesting, right? WRONG! It was, by far, the most awful movie I have ever seen. And I've seen some awful movies. I was definitely dumber for having watched it. Stay away....FAR away!!
Not to sound snarky, but with a name like Idiocracy, what were you expecting? Seriously, though, it actually gets a 72% on rottentomatoes! It says it has hilarity and biting satire. Okay....I'll stay away. Thanks for the warning, Jen!

L

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Ethan said:
Yo Leslie,
Since you seem to watch these types of movies for the "scenery" (I like to read Playboy for the articles), I thought you'd like to know that I am the body double for Huge Jackman and Colin Farrell. Here is another sample of my work:
Thank you for that, Ethan! Glad to know.

I am sure you read Playboy for the articles. Same reason I read Out. ;)

L

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Leslie said:
Not to sound snarky, but with a name like Idiocracy, what were you expecting? Seriously, though, it actually gets a 72% on rottentomatoes! It says it has hilarity and biting satire. Okay....I'll stay away. Thanks for the warning, Jen!

L
I know, but from recommendation of two people I used to trust with movie reviews, we gave it a shot without doing any checking on it. The way he described it, it sounded kind of cool. And we were in the mood for some dumb humor. I can handle some, but not this level.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
My husband and I both loved Idiocracy.

Brawndo, it's what plants crave... It's got electrolytes!

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Jen said:
Basically, smart people stopped procreating in the past couple of centuries, and stupid people bred like rabbits. So, at this time when he wakes up the world is run by total morons,
Sounds like our Government!

Okay, no replies to this. Let's not make it a political issue ;D

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
pidgeon92 said:
My husband and I both loved Idiocracy.

Brawndo, it's what plants crave... It's got electrolytes!

It just really goes to show, different strokes for different folks! One of my favorite movies of all time is the Big Lebowski, many people I know hate it. To each his own!

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
Leslie said:
I was in Bruges when they were filming In Bruges so I definitely wanted to see it. It was more violent than my usual taste and I probably would not have opted to see it under typical circumstances. But overall it was good. I really liked Colin Farrell. And of course, the scenery was beautiful.

L
I never even heard of it... :-\

Betsy

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I've got Zodiac from netflix waiting for me... its been waiting for the past couple of weekends as I haven't been home long enough to watch a show. 

Over the ThanksGiving weekend I have all this season's (that's out so far) sitting on my DVR for a Heroes weekend.  Oh and 24 is finally back on! I think it starts on the 23rd or 24th of this month. I'll have to check again.

TheresaM

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Bacardi Jim said:
The Queen
Loved The Queen. Helen Mirren was perfect, so was the guy who played Prince Phillip.

Since I posted in the scrabble thread about Snow Cake, I think I'll be watching that this weekend and maybe move on to The Search for John Gissing.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
We've seen this movie before, but I like it. We'll watch this and whatever other
movies that are on Dish Network.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts