Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 233 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I devoured the Ramona books by Beverly Cleary. I also enjoyed the Encyclopedia Brown books because they had all the clues lined up at the end of the book.

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
Zelazny's Chronicles of Amber, McCaffrey"s Pern books, and almost anything I could get a hold of by Norton Norse Heinlein and Asimov.
Notice a Sci-Fi/ Fantasy trend here?

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I loved the Ramona books too.
Except for the one where their cat died.
I didn't care so much for that one. And we didn't even have a cat.

I also loved the Nancy Drew books. I had my aunt's set. Don't tell her. She thinks my grandmother gave them away. Shhhh.

And Mom had some of her old books that I adopted. The ones I remember best were a biography of Helen Keller and a biography of Benjamin Frankling. The BF one was really interesting, b/c most of it turned out not to be true. Which is a fascinating new concept in biography, I think.

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
The Five Little Peppers and How They Grew.  I still have my original book, and I also bought it for Little Gertie. 

Nancy Drew, of course.  My first was The Sign of the Twisted Candles. 

·
Registered
506 Posts
Off the top of my head:

1.  Trixie Belden series
2.  Ramona the Pest series
3.  The Secret Garden
4.  Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
5.  The Mrs. Piggle Wiggle Books (but I found I didn't like them when I tried to read them with my children)

·
Registered
137 Posts
I read and loved every series I could find, Nancy Drew, The Hardy Boys, Encyclopedia Brown, Chronicles of Narnia, and even the Sweet Valley High Series etc.  but two books stand out as favorites that I still revisit occasionally - "From the Mixed up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler" and "Watership Down"

I still love supposedly young adult fiction, I am ashamed to admit.  Reading the Gossip Girl books now. That is why I love the Kindle. No one knows that I am reading this stuff...

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
traceyreads said:
I still love supposedly young adult fiction, I am ashamed to admit. Reading the Gossip Girl books now. That is why I love the Kindle. No one knows that I am reading this stuff...
Except us ...

But then, a lot of us read YA, too.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I loved the Box Car Children books. Then my cousin gave me all of her Nancy Drew and Trixie Belden books.
I was a lucky kid as both parents are readers so we got to go to the library a lot and they always found a
couple of bucks for books from Scholastic while we were in school.

·
Registered
106 Posts
My most favorite book growing up was Ella Enchanted. In fact, I'm currently rereading the copy I've had since I was about 11. Chronicles of Narnia, Harry Potter (of course), His Dark Materials, and A Little Princess are all also favorites. I also really liked The Egypt Game, though when I mention it to people they've never heard of it.

There's also TONS of books I checked out of the library when I was a kid and young teen, and don't remember anything about them except certain plot points. I'd love to find some of those books and read them again.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
I liked the Bobbsey Twins.  Haven't seen that one mentioned...guess I'm showing my age. :D
Nancy Drew
Hardy Boys
Charlotte's Web
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

By the time I was 10 or 11.  The librarian at our city library, marched me over to the adult section.  I was reading a book or 2 a day and she was tired of all the paperwork.  She thought I needed a bigger challenge.  She started me on...Agatha Christie.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Paulus and the Acornmen by Jean Dulieu was the first "real" book that I read.

This edition is the cheapest one out there and it's $103.

Hardcover
Publisher: World Publishing Co., Cleveland, 1966
PAULUS AND THE ACORNMEN written and illustrated by Jean Dulieu. A Holly Book published by World Publishing 1966. 238 pages. Children's fantasy about a wood-dwarf made smaller by a witch and then has adventures with the Acornmen. 47 full-color illustrations and 4 B&W drawings. Lemon yellow hard cover with B&W sketch of Paulus on right-hand bottom cover, black lettering on spine. Bottom half of inside back and front covers with illustration of Paulus and acornmen. In better than fair...

I also read all of Nancy Drew, every Agatha Christie and most of Heinlein. Since I read The America series by John Jakes when I was 11 and loved most of them (hated The Seekers) I'm going to include them as childhood favorites.

·
Super Moderator
67,324 Posts
Scott O'Dell: Island of the Blue Dolphins

Apparently not yet Kindled.

I read this as a kid. . .one of the first chapter books I really remember, besides Nancy Drew, etc. When we lived in California (stationed at Pt. Mugu, south of Camarillo) my son had to read the book for school and they took a field trip to the Channel Islands park in Santa Barbara.

Ann

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Trixie Belden was my all time favorite. I wish they were available for Kindle, I would buy them all for my daughter. Ok for me lol.
I loved Nancy Drew too and Ramona among others mentioned here.

Melissa

·
Registered
368 Posts
Sara Crewe,(The Little Princess), Nancy Drew, Hardy boys.  Cereal boxes, magazines, newspapers anything I could get my hands on and especially....forbidden books we would sneak in the house and read by flashlight...I still remember Phillip Roths Portnoys Complaint.  I didn't even understand all of it but it was a best seller and only for grownups so I read it on the sly.    Those were the days  ;D,  Being naughty was reading a grownup book. 

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
Ann Von Hagel said:
Scott O'Dell: Island of the Blue Dolphins

Apparently not yet Kindled.

I read this as a kid. . .one of the first chapter books I really remember, besides Nancy Drew, etc. When we lived in California (stationed at Pt. Mugu, south of Camarillo) my son had to read the book for school and they took a field trip to the Channel Islands park in Santa Barbara.

Ann
No, not Kindled. I was just looking for it yesterday. They do have it on Audible though.

1 - 20 of 233 Posts