Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love my Kindle 1, but I won't miss the loud click when you depress the scroll wheel.  It doesn't bother me too much, but when my wife is trying to sleep next to me, it drives her crazy.  Thankfully, the quieter clicks of the page-turning buttons fall into her threshold of tolerance.  But I can't employ heavy use of the scroll-wheel click during bedtime reading... meaning no web surfing, just normal reading.  Of course, I'm assuming that the elimination of the scroll wheel and its loud click on the K1 won't be replaced by an equally loud click on the new K2 controls.  By the way, I will miss the cool silver cursor and the way it stretches into a cool line dancing up and down as I select things.  Oh, well.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I'm going to go against the grain and say, I am not going to miss the SD card slot.

Granted, it "couldn't hurt" to have one. But it's not something I ever used to begin with. And I'm not going to miss it being there on my K2.

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
The clunky, wedge shaped, angular design.
The large page turn buttons.
The switches on the back.
The dedicated charger.
The back cover that falls off.
The Content Manager (everything is done from one screen now).
The original cover.

I will miss my silver scroll bar. It looks like I hated my Kindle, doesn't it? I didn't. I loved it. There were just several things I wasn't crazy about that are now fixed.

·
Registered
180 Posts
standaman said:
I'm going to go against the grain and say, I am not going to miss the SD card slot.

Granted, it "couldn't hurt" to have one. But it's not something I ever used to begin with. And I'm not going to miss it being there on my K2.
Another one checking in. I've never once used the SD slot on my K1. I've used it on my Sony PRS-505 only once and that was to flash it with a 3rd party software; after that I've never had a need for it!

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I love my K1, but I won't miss the buttons on the back.  I have permanent notch in my fingernail from pulling those up.  I also won't miss the original cover, but I had replaced that with an M-Edge and 2 Noreves so that was no longer a problem.  I will miss the silver progress bar.  I never had the back cover fall off and didn't mind the page turn buttons.

·
Registered
289 Posts
For me, it would definitely be the switches on the back.  Can't tell you the number of times in the six weeks I had my K1 that I accidently turned my Kindle off when I actually intended to turn the wireless off (trying to flip the switch without being able to see the back of the device in my M-Edge case).

·
Registered
6 Posts
My biggest gripe was the clunky design ~ I had the Sony 505 before and was spoiled by how sleek it was in comparison.

But I WILL miss the sparkle motion!

·
Registered
103 Posts
I won't miss the old dictionary look up.  I'm really looking forward to being able to quickly lookup a word without losing the page.
I will miss the big buttons...so much that It is the main reason I'm still on the fence about weather or not I want the K2.

B

·
0 Posts
I don't think I understand the question.  Why on Earth would I get rid of my Kindle?  And if I don't get rid of it, how can I "miss" its features?

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Bacardi Jim said:
I don't think I understand the question. Why on Earth would I get rid of my Kindle? And if I don't get rid of it, how can I "miss" its features?
I think this question is for those who are upgrading to K2s from K1s. :) I'm keeping my K1 and getting a K2, it may be overkill.

B

·
0 Posts
ProfCrash said:
Nothing, I am keeping my Klassic Kindle.
We spent a total of almost $600 on our two Kindles. I don't see us ditching them for years. There will be a K4 before we upgrade.

But then, we aren't rich.

·
Registered
788 Posts
If I were replacing my Kindle, which I'm not, I can imagine that the only thing I wouldn't miss would be the lower resolution screen. I'm one of the odd ones that likes the angles, and isn't bothered by the placement of the switches.

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
I am fine with how Tavar looks. The switches don't bother me. I like the thickness. I like my scroll bar and the little silver thing. A higher resolution screen would be nice but I ahve run into one book were there are enough pictures for me to care.

·
Registered
376 Posts
It seems that Amazon addressed most of my Kindle 1 wishlist by removing the feature altogether  ???
(I wanted a more accessible SD card, more secure cover, and in-stock replacement batteries)

I like the switches up front, slimmer form and faster processor...but the features aren't compelling enough to make me want to make antoher investement (but I cant think of any feature availabe right now that would justtify my buying a new reader right now...I really have no major complaints about the Kindle1 that software can't fix).

·
Registered
11 Posts
I won't miss the buttons on the back that were difficult to access (after replacing the useless cover with an M-Edge).  And, I won't miss the book progress bar showing nothing but dots.  I really like the addition of the new percentage read on the left and final line number to the end of the book on the right.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Your scroll wheel makes noise?  Really?

1 - 20 of 49 Posts