Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imagine this scenario:

You are a junior in college, living in the dorm on campus. In February, your roommate Joe moved into an apartment, because he had a girlfriend and wanted to spend more time with her. Joe is also a member of a fraternity but chose to move into an apartment, although he spends lots of time at the fraternity house. When Joe moved out, he left lots of stuff behind in the dorm room, including clothes, a refrigerator, and a desk chair.

Over the course of the semester, you’ve called Joe and asked him to come pick up his stuff. Joe hasn’t done so. For the past six weeks or so, Joe has become “sketchy,” ie, not returning phone calls, not answering text messages or emails.

It is the very last day of the school year and all students have to be out of the dorm today. You’ve already delayed your departure by a day trying to resolve the problem of what to do with Joe’s stuff. You went to the RA and asked what would happen if you just left Joe’s stuff in the room. The RA said that everything would be confiscated, plus all the fees for not cleaning out the room (approximately $500) would be charged to Joe, since he didn’t move out properly in the first place.

At 9:30 pm on Friday evening, Joe’s girlfriend Marie calls. She tells you that Joe is saying to just move his stuff to the fraternity house and they will store it there for him. You are very annoyed at this. Why can’t Joe just come and move the stuff himself? Well, it turns out that he is already home (about 2 hours away from campus) and has been sick for the past 3 days with the flu. As you are talking to Marie on the phone, you hear Joe’s voice in the background. You ask to speak to Joe and Marie reluctantly gives him the phone. You explain the situation and Joe loses it, screaming at you and saying you should have dealt with this problem months ago and not waited until the last few days of school. Then he hangs up on you.

It is now 9 am on Saturday morning. You have your stuff to pack and have a 5 hour drive home. Joe’s stuff is still in the room. What would YOU do?

·
Registered
21,587 Posts
In all kindness, you have already tried repeatedly to get him active.

I would now:
1.  Call the Frat House and leave a message with anyone that Joe's stuff is here and if the Frat wants the refrig, etc. that they have to come and get it immediately.
2.  Call Joe/Marie and tell them that I have left a msg at the Frat and am not doing anything more.
3.  Give the same info to the RA.
4.  Go home.

Yeah you got to "live with Joe" next year. Maybe.  From the sounds of it, he may not be coming back.
And you will have just as bad a time of it being known to be a pushover as a pain.  Joe clearly is never going to have a good opinion of you anyway.

Is this a real-life problem?

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
I think Geoff nailed it.  The only piece I would add would be to start whatever process is necessary to ensure Joe is not your roommate next year.  :D

And perhaps get something in writing from the RA that acknowledges items left behind are Joe's responsibility, and therefore any fees incurred will be charged to him.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
geoffthomas said:
In all kindness, you have already tried repeatedly to get him active.

I would now:
1. Call the Frat House and leave a message with anyone that Joe's stuff is here and if the Frat wants the refrig, etc. that they have to come and get it immediately.
2. Call Joe/Marie and tell them that I have left a msg at the Frat and am not doing anything more.
3. Give the same info to the RA.
4. Go home.

Yeah you got to "live with Joe" next year. Maybe. From the sounds of it, he may not be coming back.
And you will have just as bad a time of it being known to be a pushover as a pain. Joe clearly is never going to have a good opinion of you anyway.

Is this a real-life problem?
I agree.
Joe needs to take responsibility for himself, and his stuff.
Maybe now he will learn to do so.
After a fine/losing stuff or both.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I would leave Joe's stuff, go home and enjoy my summer break.
Joe needs a crash course in life 101. He needs to learn responsibility for his own problems and how to treat others. Maybe a $500.00 fine will help him with that.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Joe needs to learn to take responsibility for his things and his actions.  I would only deal with my own personal things and let Joe take the consequences of his actions.  I also don't think Joe should be allowed to live in the dorm next year.  When you choose to live in the dorm you take on certain responsibilities and if you don't live up to them you should lose the privilege.  Joe...what a jerk!

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Joe has effectively abandoned his stuff.  Make sure the RA knows the situation, in writing, and has signed off on the letter.  Document the steps you have taken to get Joe to come get his stuff, including letting the frat know it is there. 

If the RA says you are still responsible for the $500 deposit, then confiscate as much as you can carry and sell it to recoup the money. 

·
Registered
234 Posts
Just went through basically the same thing a couple of weeks ago when helping out my Goddaughter.  We reported it to the RA, once we knew the roommate wasn't going to show, and hadn't done anything to begin to move out.  The RA was nice enough to take pictures of the before and after for us and make notes about the situation.  We cleaned the entire room, moved all of her stuff to one side of the room, took out my Goddaughter's stuff, and the RA took another round of pictures. She still doesn't know if she will get any of her deposit back, but there was no way we were going to pack all of the roommates clothes, etc. and then find a place to store them.  We had enough to deal with just getting her out of there.

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
It sounds as though the roommate has done all that is required.

I would probably do as Kindle Convert and leave everything as clean as possible, alerting the RA so as to document my efforts, etc., but Joe would be on his own at this point.

·
Registered
12,456 Posts
That roommate is irresponsible and spoiled, and needs a lesson in life. I agree with the above advice - just make sure that Joe is the one who has to pay the fine, which it sounds like will be the case.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Seriously just take care of your stuff, Joe's stuff is not your responsibility.  He had to know he had to take care of his stuff prior to check out day, you went above and beyond the call of duty by trying to notify him.

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
Joe's supposed to be a grownup. If he's old enough to have his own apartment, he's old enough to deal with the removal of his own stuff. The roommate bears no responsibility; he shouldn't even have to call the frat house. Let Joe handle it.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
I'm wondering how they know which roommates stuff it is?

I'd leave it, but I'd want to be totally sure I wouldn't get charged. I'd want to make sure there is no fine print that says any cleaning charges are applied to all students assigned to the room. I wouldn't 100% trust the RA to know.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I agree with everyone. It's Joe's responsibility but been as responsible and good person as you are, call him once more and give him the last chance telling him if he doesn't want fine of $500, he should come get his stuff right away. You are going back to your home right now. Make sure RA knows those left in the room is not yours. Take picture and ask RA to sign the paper says those are Joe's. In worst case, Joe should be your friend but he could said those left in the room is yours... so just need to be sure fine won't come to you.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
No Brainer.

Leave the stuff and let him reap the consequences

1 - 20 of 48 Posts