Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fellow OYB Readers,

This section will be a totally off-topic thread. We are a small group, but we have become quite close. We can share all non-biblical things here - what's going on in your life, something funny that happened, etc. It will be quite diverse in subject matter I suspect. I think this will be handy because then we won't have to search all over Kindle Boards (which has become quite huge - and that is a blessing!) for personal news on our fellow OYB Book Klub members.

Love,

Suzi

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
okey dokey - My DH and I worked yesterday to translate a lease agreement into English from Spanish, and the principals of our "new" church are going to be signing it today along with the Mexican landlord.  It is a "store front" in an area where most of the English speaking churches are (all within 2-3 kilometers of each other, Anglican, Baptist, Assembly of God, non-denominational and Presbyterian).  The building is shared by an appliance store, but the landlord feels they may move out when their lease is up.  We will have first right of refusal, but we will need a whole lot more money (and parishioners) in the pot to afford that.  In the back is a 2-room plus outside kitchen casita that is included in our lease.  Need to make some changes to a big empty space, bars on the windows and fix the roll up doors so we will get air in without opening to the highway.  We are all very excited!  Hopefully by the first of June we will be in.  Wanted to be in by Mother's Day but that won't happen.

Thank you all for your prayers and good thoughts.

HUGS to you all
Dona

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Jay and I had a great weekend, we went to see our 10 year old granddaughter Cannon play softball. BTW she did great. She plays second base and fielded several balls, also got 2 good hits and some runners in and she scored once.

Kelsea is her 13 year old sister and she had invited NiNa to go to the Mother/Daughter Banquet at her church in honor of Mother's Day. The original plans were I would go with my daughter Angie and Kelsea but Angie had to stay with Cannon at the ball field. I was thrilled that at 13 Kelsea still wanted me to go with her. It was such an unexpected blessing. Kelsea and 5 other girls signed and performed drama dance to "I Can Only Imagine". How beautiful!!

There was a woman who spoke about us being chosen by God as a Holy Woman and having the privilege to strive to be the best we can be. She said she felt special because she was always the last one chosen in school for anything. I could totally relate to that and it opened my eyes to the fact that we are special and we are chosen. How awesome is that! There was beautiful music by all age women and different women saying a few words on what their Mother, daughter, aunt, sister, grandmother meant to them. This was all spontaneous and from the heart.  

Not a dry eye in the church. I was blessed!

WONDERFUL news Dona!

Love the new thread Suzi! Thanks!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Dona,
I hope and pray that it all works out for you. God's plan will come to fruition one way or the other, and it seems that you are really working on it .
Blessings and prayers for you and you church.
Lettie

·
Registered
103 Posts
Dona,

I'm new to the Boards in general and this one in specific so please bear with my newness.

Congratulations and blessings as you move into this new space! May it soon become a sacred space as God works in glorious and mighty ways through your ministry!

I am a United Methodist pastor so I understand about all the issues with worship space and developing a congregation - but I never had the courage to try to "birth" a congregation.

Cherie

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Thank you Lesedi - I was involved in the organization of a mission church last December.  We have been meeting in a private home and had the strong possibility of a church building that had never been used. Negotiations were brutal so we quit working on that building and continued to look.  I had asked the OYB group to put us in their prayers for finding a place.  Now we need $, but then most churches do and we are ok.

We are also seating over 30 people now, all snow birds have left so we are definitely meeting some needs, before the exodus we were seating 50.  Our potluck was a huge success so we are really feeling confident that God is leading us.  Had a member there from Minnesota, but had been to Hibbing many times.  I had never heard of Hibbing before Betsy.

·
Registered
103 Posts
You know it's all a function of God's timing. We can work work an angle until we are exhausted but when it's God's time, things begin to fall into place in ways that leave us breathless in amazement and thankful to our core!

I served a church in La Jolla CA that had a number of snow birds involved. It was great to see them come back and kind of sad to see them leave. They had a wonderful place in the life of our congregation and their congregation back home. In your case, to go from 50 to 30 is quite a change.

We're trying to begin a community garden at our church for our members and people living in the nearby apartment complex and maybe even from the homeless shelter. Our dream is that we could take leftover food to the community food bank so that people could receive fresh produce as well as canned goods. Everything is falling into place - even the youth group wants a section of the garden - except that our area is in a drought and the Water Company has asked us all to cut back on water usage. We'll see what they say when we approach them about our project. I would appreciate some additional prayer support as we seek to move ahead.

Blessings as y'all continue seeking divine guidance and move ahead!

Cherie

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
What great news about your church, Dona!! God is so good! ;D

What a wonderful time for you, Linda! I am so praying that I can maintain a close relationship with my grandkids now that we live in different parts of the state. I really miss getting to attend those everyday/weekly events. How blessed we are to be grandmas!! :)

Welcome to you, Cherie. It so good to "see" new faces!  :)

We are getting ready for the nieces prom weekend and Mother's Day. My brother actually suggested that he, Larry and my dad take us "moms" out for dinner on Saturday evening after the kids leave for prom. My brother hasn't asked to do anything "family" for over 10 years! God is working...  ;D

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Here's a question.  Should we move the Christian Fiction Fans topic from the Book Corner area of the board to the Book Klub: One Year Bible area?  It seems to fit in here, and it would make it easier to find. 

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
JMO, but if it's moved then others might not klick on it and find the books.  Some people probably never venture to the bible threads. 
deb

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
drenee said:
JMO, but if it's moved then others might not klick on it and find the books. Some people probably never venture to the bible threads.
deb
That's possible.

I wonder if there is a way to "mirror" threads, or have the same thing in two places? I know that seems like a waste, but it's not a sticky, and the part of the board it is in is long, so when it is left alone, it disappears in the mass of other topics. This one's shorter, so it would always be visible.

You may be right, though. It may be best to leave it where it is, if it cannot be "mirrored" somehow.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
OK Y'all -  we have signed the lease on our building!  WOO WOO, started working on some improvements, hopefully we will have our first service there in a couple of weeks.  It won't be finished, but close to it - hopefully I'll get my camera there and will try to send a picture or two.  We have had some really nice donations, one for a stone altar, and another for a big chunk of our improvement costs.  The chairs we have chosen are about $40 US and we have enough in our budget for 25 and donations today for another 10. 

Thank you for all your wishes and prayers!  We are a real church and not a group of people meeting in a home.  PTL

·
Registered
103 Posts
Anju No. 469

Congratulations! What an exciting time as you move from one sacred space to what will quickly become another sacred space. We will try to be patient as we await to see pictures.

Blessings to y'all in this glorious time of transition. And may the ministry of your church continue to be a blessing in your city!

Cherie

1 - 20 of 64 Posts