Kindle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. My manuscript is complete. I have gotten it professionally edited and I am happy. Now I need to know what's next. For the life of my I cannot wrap my mind around whether I should be looking into my book cover first or formatting. I don't understand the whole print and ebook thing. Should I be going to one place to get both done at the same time?

When I'm start a contest in 99designs, they are asking me for information that I don't have yet like:
What would you like on the back cover of your book?
Barcode/ISBN.
And more...

Can I have the steps any of you have taken? Thanks

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hi. My manuscript is complete. I have gotten it professionally edited and I am happy. Now I need to know what's next. For the life of my I cannot wrap my mind around whether I should be looking into my book cover first or formatting. I don't understand the whole print and ebook thing. Should I be going to one place to get both done at the same time?

When I'm start a contest in 99designs, they are asking me for information that I don't have yet like:
Barcode/ISBN.
And more...

I did the formatting before the book cover since I did it myself.

I had Dawne Dominique--a great book cover illustrator--create my ebook and print book covers for around $250--$125 for the ebook, $125 for the print. Just keep in mind that you'll have to have your book cover artist reformat the size of the book if you intend to sell it on multiple sites.

I used Amazon's Kindle create to do the ebook as well as the print books.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Are you publishing an ebook, print book, or both?

There are specific formatting rules for each. I format everything myself, but I'm pretty sure you can't even upload your ebook to KDP without proper formatting. And you can't create a print cover without doing the formatting for the book first. You need an ISBN for print, and if you get one from, say Amazon, you can't use it elsewhere. You need your back cover blurb. You need your number of pages, paper color choice... and so on.

And as mentioned above, different stores have different requirements but a Google search will answer that.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Can I have the steps any of you have taken?
Hmm... a lot. Research w Google as ^ and by Kboards here. But it's not hard after you do it a few times.

You need to either find a formatter or format yourself. Then you need a good cover. Optimally you should work on both at the same time.

I use Vellum for formatting and I can format a word document in about thirty minutes. Done. Literally, the paperback and ebook is done in 30min. But some don't like the cost of vellum. It's around $250 USD (unless changed). This is worth it if you intend to write many books because this one time fee is a formatter's fee. There's also Atticus software now by Kindlepreneur. Whatever you do, you need two files converted by your word doc: an epub for ebooks and a pdf for paperbacks/hardcovers.

Be careful with covers. Use a cover artist and spend the money, if you can. Many are going to be buying your book based on your cover so get this step right.
Congrats on your book and good luck!

·
Registered
Sea of Two Suns
214 Posts

Barcode/ISBN.
And more...

A cover typically takes longer than formatting, maybe a couple of weeks unless they have a waiting list. So I would get that in progress. Some book cover design companies offer formatting too, you can select a package. Ebook launch is an example, highly professional, good turnaround time and I've always had a great experience with them.

You'll need to apply for an ISBN. There is a link through Amazon kdp I believe. Best to have that info together first, because formatters charge for re-dos.

·
Registered
142 Posts
e-books are simpler than print books. For an e-book you need :-
1) a word doc - style Heading 1 for chapter headings - everything else style body text - if you want different first paragraphs (ie drop caps) set a style derived from BT for that - no index or front/back matter
2) a front cover - follow guidelines on KDP help pages
3) a blurb - 150-200 words - look at what other books in the same genre as yours have - do NOT write a plot summary, think advert
4) You do NOT need an ISBN for an e-book though you can buy one and use it if you want to.

As long as you can provide all the above to a high enough standard, you do not need to spend any money on e-publishing your book. You will need an account with a distributor/publisher, but that is FREE.

For print books things are different - there are unavoidable costs - you do need an ISBN if you want your book to be sold in shops. DTP means laying out your manuscript in a file - possibly pdf - EXACTLY as you want to see it printed. For a paperback the cover has to be done as one piece ie front + spine + back all in one image file inc a space for the ISBN to be printed.

What that boils down to is that if you are on a limited budget, do not have a publisher to do some of the work, bear some costs, then producing an e-book is the best place to start.

I have done everything for both my e-book and paperback and I can say it is a LOT of work - probably took longer than the writing as I knew next to nothing when I started.
Font Material property Tints and shades Visual arts Graphics

Good luck - Nick

1 - 6 of 6 Posts