Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finished "Out of the Wild: Venezuela" and it was awesome. I think it's the best reality show I've ever seen.

What's the best reality show you've ever seen?

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,076 Posts
I think it counts as a reality show, but it's almost part documentary as well. There's a show on BBC called Mastercrafts which only has one six episode series so far. Each show takes a look at a different old world trade that is still being practiced, though in far lesser numbers, throughout the UK. They take three or four normal people who would like to learn the craft for various reasons and put them through a six week crash course with a master to learn these things that people apprentice at for years and years to learn. At the end one is judged the best and their work is featured prominently somewhere and they generally earn a chance to work at the craft for a bit longer.

So far they have done episodes on Green Wood Furniture (a very handmade sort of furniture that uses uncured wood and hand tools), Thatching (as in making a roof from straw), Blacksmithing, Stained Glass, Hand Weaving (the fabric panels from threads sort), and Stone Masonry. I was already really interested in stained glass, but I surprisingly found myself wanting a go at blacksmithing as well. Thatching and Green Wood Furniture were both far more interesting than I thought they'd be, too. If you can get hold of the series I highly recommend a viewing. This is the sort of thing I wish we got on Discovery and TLC instead of Amish Mafia and Honey Boo Boo.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
67,495 Posts
See, for me, the concept of "good" in conjunction with "reality show" is kind of mutually exclusive. And "best" is right out. ::)

Though, if Mythbusters counts, I could get behind that. :)

Oh, and Top Gear. Those guys are a hoot!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,696 Posts
Best is really a matter of opinion but my favorites are Project Runway, Next Iron Chef & SYTYCD.

My favorite guilty pleasure is Design Star... terrible but I love it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,391 Posts
T.L. Haddix said:
Would Dirty Jobs count as a reality show? Or Mythbusters? If so, disregard my earlier comment.
If those count, they would probably be at the top of my list, too. :)

(Mythbusters is one of only two shows I have set up for automatic recording on my DVR -- the other being The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson.)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,410 Posts
I am a reality show hound, and get caught up in almost all of the major ones.  I just looked at the video you provided and it looks like that is my new must see show.  Thanks for sharing!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26,676 Posts
Deadliest Catch with Mythbusters a very close second.

I think SYTYCD would go under competition shows, but it's my hands down favorite in that category.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,410 Posts
Thank goodness for DVRs otherwise I'd be in trouble.  I guess I'll have to track down the Alaska season, as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
237 Posts
Scheherazade said:
This is the sort of thing I wish we got on Discovery and TLC instead of Amish Mafia and Honey Boo Boo.
Amish Mafia is the best show ever made!!!

OK, not really. It really is crap. I did catch that "green wood furniture" show though...and wow, almost made me want to run out and try some of that stuff.

Honestly, I'm really not a reality show person. I do admit to enjoying an episode of Hell's Kitchen now and then. I like Gordon Ramsay in small doses. Kitchen Nightmares was actually pretty good though. I'm talking about the original BBC version of course, not that annoying one that ran on Fox.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
581 Posts
Scheherazade said:
I think it counts as a reality show, but it's almost part documentary as well. There's a show on BBC called Mastercrafts which only has one six episode series so far. Each show takes a look at a different old world trade that is still being practiced, though in far lesser numbers, throughout the UK. They take three or four normal people who would like to learn the craft for various reasons and put them through a six week crash course with a master to learn these things that people apprentice at for years and years to learn. At the end one is judged the best and their work is featured prominently somewhere and they generally earn a chance to work at the craft for a bit longer.

So far they have done episodes on Green Wood Furniture (a very handmade sort of furniture that uses uncured wood and hand tools), Thatching (as in making a roof from straw), Blacksmithing, Stained Glass, Hand Weaving (the fabric panels from threads sort), and Stone Masonry. I was already really interested in stained glass, but I surprisingly found myself wanting a go at blacksmithing as well. Thatching and Green Wood Furniture were both far more interesting than I thought they'd be, too. If you can get hold of the series I highly recommend a viewing. This is the sort of thing I wish we got on Discovery and TLC instead of Amish Mafia and Honey Boo Boo.
I would love to see this show. Been searching, but having trouble finding a way to watch. I tried Netflix, Amazon Instant Videos, and BBC. Amazon doesn't sell this series on DVD, either. I did find some youtube videos, and think I can patch the series together there. I am determined. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,076 Posts
GreenThumb said:
I would love to see this show. Been searching, but having trouble finding a way to watch. I tried Netflix, Amazon Instant Videos, and BBC. Amazon doesn't sell this series on DVD, either. I did find some youtube videos, and think I can patch the series together there. I am determined. :)
Yeah, I had to have someone send me the files which I imagine they got through a torrent. I don't like downloading things through torrents, but sometimes you're all but forced to. This is a good example of one of those situations. They really need to make television and movies as easy to legally download as they have books and music. Sometimes it's nearly impossible.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,410 Posts
I just watched three episodes of Out of the Wild: Alaska.  Waiting to find Venezuela.  I really enjoyed it, but don't understand why people who are not in the proper shape want to go on these epic excursions when they know they are not fit and are going to slow everyone down.
 
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Top