Kindle Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok- as someone who hasn't read the series I shouldn't be over critical. But I didn't really like the sample and I've been warned off of reading the books from several friends who described it as "preteen hormonal drivel with no plot". As that is kind of harsh I thought I'd ask for the scoop from more people who have read the books, so I'm not going by just one or two people's opinions.

What did you enjoy about it? Does it get better after the sample?

Or useful criticism if you didn't enjoy it?

G

·
I haven't read any of the books but was warned off by the flyleaf of the first in the series, (Twilight)

Vampires are undead creatures of hell, not romantic heroes.  They are incapable of love.  Love is antithetical to their entire nature.  I will never willingly read another novel in which vampires are treated as loving, caring heroes.  Ann Rice already destroyed the mythos.  I won't encourage its further denigration.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bacardi Jim said:
I haven't read any of the books but was warned off by the flyleaf of the first in the series, (Twilight)

Vampires are undead creatures of hell, not romantic heroes. They are incapable of love. Love is antithetical to their entire nature. I will never willingly read another novel in which vampires are treated as loving, caring heroes. Ann Rice already destroyed the mythos. I won't encourage its further denigration.
Good point! The fact that it is a romantic novel where it doesn't seem to portray vampires as having any real problems- not even sunlight- is a throw off.

Any suggestions of good novels where vampires are still treated as, well, vampires? The only one I'm thinking of now is Dracula. It doesn't really seem like there are too many classical vampire novels after Anne Rice romanticised them.

G

·
Snapcat said:
Good point! The fact that it is a romantic novel where it doesn't seem to portray vampires as having any real problems- not even sunlight- is a throw off.

Any suggestions of good novels where vampires are still treated as, well, vampires? The only one I'm thinking off now is Dracula. It doesn't really seem like there are too many classical vampire novels after Anne Rice romanticised them.

They Thirst
Midnight Mass

Only the first one is available on Kindle.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh 'Salem's Lot! Of course! I enjoyed that book. Haven't read the others, hopefully they'll come out on Kindle eventually.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bacardi Jim said:
'Salem's Lot
Fevre Dream
They Thirst
Midnight Mass

Only the first one is available on Kindle.
Ooh looks like Fevre Dream is available on Kindle.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Vampires have been romanticized a lot. Dracula, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Fright Night.....

·
Registered
829 Posts
I read them all....  I liked them but didn't love them.  They did keep me entertained though.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Snapcat said:
Ok- as someone who hasn't read the series I shouldn't be over critical. But I didn't really like the sample and I've been warned off of reading the books from several friends who described it as "preteen hormonal drivel with no plot". As that is kind of harsh I thought I'd ask for the scoop from more people who have read the books, so I'm not going by just one or two people's opinions.

What did you enjoy about it? Does it get better after the sample?

Or useful criticism if you didn't enjoy it?
Read them all, enjoyed them. YA is my guilty pleasure. If you don't like much other YA fiction, you probably won't like these either - they're pretty typical, but I find them fun. However, I also enjoyed the sample enough that I wanted to see what would happen next. Now that I think of it though, the sample of the first book was pretty bland because nothing much happened. Bella moves to Forks, sees Cullens in the cafeteria, Edward is in her bio class and seems to hate her.
He's really a vampire! And they're going to fall in love! But you don't really get into any of that yet.
So I might suggest trying the sample of the next book to see if that captures your interest a little more.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
marianner said:
Read them all, enjoyed them. YA is my guilty pleasure. If you don't like much other YA fiction, you probably won't like these either - they're pretty typical, but I find them fun. However, I also enjoyed the sample enough that I wanted to see what would happen next. Now that I think of it though, the sample of the first book was pretty bland because nothing much happened. Bella moves to Forks, sees Cullens in the cafeteria, Edward is in her bio class and seems to hate her.
He's really a vampire! And they're going to fall in love! But you don't really get into any of that yet.
So I might suggest trying the sample of the next book to see if that captures your interest a little more.
Thanks Marianner, that's good advice. Though it is a shame that not much happens in the first book. I do like some YA fantasy fiction. I like His Dark Materials, and the Abhorsen trilogy- btw if you haven't read either of those and like fantasy I would recommend both those series. :)

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OH yes! The Prydain Chronicles! I keep clicking for the kindle version, hopefully they will have one up eventually.

·
Registered
103 Posts
It certainly isn't going to increase your IQ, but it is very good.  I don't know what is it about it that grabed my attention, but it's a really engaging love story.  It is very easy to read because it's YA. 
I was unsure after reading the first chapter, because of it's "high school" overtones but I persisted, and I fell in love with the story.

To Bacardi Jim...your post is exactly how the male character feels about himself, he loaths what he is and what he craves.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
I just finished Twilight.  It is a teen type novel but since all the teens are reading it I thought it was something I could talk about with teens and pre-teens. They are all obsessed with the series...and the movie is coming out next week so there will be a lot of hype about it.  Kind of why I read the Harry Potter books.  All the kids read them and it is a good way to connect with kids...common ground.  Having said that I enjoyed the book, it's an easy read,  and am now reading New Moon which is the next one in the series.    

G

·
Anniehow said:
It certainly isn't going to increase your IQ, but it is very good. I don't know what is it about it that grabed my attention, but it's a really engaging love story. It is very easy to read because it's YA.
I was unsure after reading the first chapter, because of it's "high school" overtones but I persisted, and I fell in love with the story.

To Bacardi Jim...your post is exactly how the male character feels about himself, he loaths what he is and what he craves.
The only thing worse than vampires falling in love is high school vampires falling in love.

*shudders*

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Snapcat said:
Though it is a shame that not much happens in the first book. I do like some YA fantasy fiction.
Oh, I didn't mean to imply that nothing happens in the first book, just that nothing happens in the sample! The first one is probably my favorite, actually. If you've seen the trailer for the movie, it seems like they actually stick pretty closely to the book.

Snapcat said:
I like His Dark Materials, and the Abhorsen trilogy- btw if you haven't read either of those and like fantasy I would recommend both those series. :)
Thanks for the recs - I'll check them out!

You might also want to try The Host, also by Stephenie Meyer. It's marketed more toward adults, although it is appropriate for teens as well. I loved it, better than Twilight, IMO.

1 - 20 of 129 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.