Kindle Forum banner

41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
evdarcy said:
UPDATE: So to get rid of the horrible barcode sticking out and the back text being covered by the barcode, I've uploaded a new cover to KDP. This is the EXACT SAME COVER, save for moving the bottom part of the back-text up ever so slightly. NOTHING else has been changed...

Not according to KDP! Apparently now my spine is a problem! I have no idea how, or why!

In addition to this, it keeps showing the OLD file on both the content details and the launcher. I've tried uploading a different cover, a renamed cover, but I still get the old CS cover with the barcode showing.

I've had to go through Amazon's horrible way of trying to send a message about the problem. CS definitely trumps on this part, I have to say! I feel like I'm going to get a horrible bog-standard message back telling me something I've already done and we're going to go around and around in circles!
This is the kind of thing that keeps me from wanting to move. :'(

I can understand why Amazon would want to consolidate its operations. What I can't understand is why they couldn't just replicate CS's process in KDP. These stories about weird cover incompatibilities are troubling, even though they don't always happen. The long time it took to roll out proofs and author copies was troubling. The fact that there's still no expanded distribution is troubling (even though I don't use it). How hard could it possibly be to just copy what CS was doing? Why reinvent the wheel--very slowly, and not always accurately? None of this inspires confidence.

·
Registered
194 Posts
The thing that I don't understand is why Amazon didn't just rename CreateSpace, start calling it KDP Print, and be done with it. I mean, Zon owns CreateSpace, don't they? Why did they have to reinvent a perfectly fine, functioning wheel?

·
Registered
439 Posts
UPDATE 2:  So apparently, as a 'one-time courtesy' they're going to contact their technical team to figure out the problem... ????!!

Definitely preferring CS for their ability to help.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I know this topic is a bit old but does anyone have new info on createspace? I just added a book there because it's what I am used to and the site is so painfully slow. It takes forever to load, are they doing it on purpose? It's not just the loading your book section but the community section took 5 minutes to load. I mean a forum on fast interent should not take so long. Plus it had a section on the breakthrough novel award. Isn't that over 5 years old? If amazon wants to kill it off why don't they just do it and just transport the books from it to kdp print (or whatever it's called) Or at least send some emails explaining the plan. When I did my first book I mistakenly posted in the forum and was getting so and so also posted in this forum emails years after I posted, and had clicked I don't want emails. All I've heard are rumors from message boards that it's closing down. I choose it to have my new book mesh with the others.

·
Banned
2,208 Posts
I last published a book in May, and CreateSpace then was smooth as ever. Meanwhile, I keep reading horror stories about KDP Print. To be sure, a lot of those are no doubt newbies seduced by Amazon's baited hooks -- publish in 15 minutes! -- and they just throw a Word doc at it, and it doesn't work. I decided to test out the switchover, which I did with an unimportant book three weeks ago today. It went live on the JP store the same afternoon, which I found amazing. However, it fell off most of the Amazon stores that aren't served by KDP Print (IN, MX, AU, CN) and of course off Barnes & Noble and the Book Depository. It's three weeks now, and they still haven't appeared on the last two. (I don't bother checking the others.) That seems awfully long. I used to figure a week or ten days for CreateSpace expanded distribution.

Among the complaints I've seen lately are books being rejected for publication by KDP Print, though they've been sold through CS for years, for such reasons as the spine being the wrong size (how is that possible?) and the metadata not conforming to what's on the actual cover. This makes me wonder how seamless the actual switchover will be.

But at the rate KDP Print has developed over the past two years, I'm fairly confident that CS won't be shut down before the national conventions in 2020.

Yes, CS is being squeezed. I always counted on getting my books in three business days, if I ordered on Monday. Now it's more like a week. And they arrive by USPS, not UPS, in an Amazon Prime box. (OTOH, KDP Print bulk orders are infamous for arriving in multiple boxes of three, four, five books.)

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Thanks, Cassie. I've been trying to get to CS for two days and I keep getting some crazy site address. Adding www worked just fine.

Anyone remember when Amazon phased out Mobipocket and we all had to switch to DTP (the original KDP)? I was lucky to have someone who did the switch for me. I would have been completely lost. So, I'm sticking with CS until I'm forced to move to KDP Print.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Laura Rae Amos said:
Is anyone considering (or already tried) Barnes & Noble press for print books? https://press.barnesandnoble.com/
Thank you SO MUCH for posting this. It says it prints in Australia. I've been trying to get Australian editions at a reasonable price for a year now. Ingram Spark charges US prices + huge postage even though it has a plant in Melbourne. So far, a UK printing is cheapest - and I'm in the process of trying to get a print book through Streetlib to test them. But if B&N REALLY print in Aust - I will definitely give them a go.

If you want feedback, I will post - maybe not this month because university goes back.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Cassie Leigh said:
The website has definitely gotten glitchier recently. I'll go to check my sales and get one of those "CS is down for maintenance" messages and have to refresh the page and the previewer seems to be taking longer to launch than it used to.
I started the publishing process for two coloring books this weekend and the previewer wouldn't launch at all. I got a message about Flash being out of date, so I downloaded the latest version, installed it, restarted the computer and it made no difference - still got the same message. I'm now waiting on the review process for both books. We'll see how long that takes. It's already been more than the promised 24 hours for the first one.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Createspace site security is bad. Given that, I don't understand how anyone uses it. Not long ago, didn't folks get their bank payment info hacked or something? I was an IT security guy in my previous life, and after seeing some of the (growing) number of faults and flaws in their security, I quit using it. I think I complained and got the "yeah well we're being phased out" line.

·
Registered
136 Posts
notjohn said:
A pain, why? Because you have to spend fifteen seconds checking your sales on a different platform? The more platforms, the more sales! We're more than halfway through the month, and my CreateSpace sales are just seven short of my KDP total. My Draft2Digital sales are about 30 percent of KDP, and I probably have some on Google though I don't bother checking on those, nor on Babelcube nor ACX nor StreetLib, though they all add up to something at the end of the month.

Judging by the screams I hear every day on the KDP forums, that pain will be eclipsed by the constant hiccups of KDP Print Beta. Just today a poster was complaining that he couldn't order author copies; he kept getting shuttled to a 404 error.

I am delighted to hear Julie's paean to IngramSpark, because when and if CreateSpace is ever phased out, I'll be double-releasing through KDP Print (I trust the Beta will be gone by then) and IngramSpark. I've already begun to buy my ISBNs, and only regret that I didn't do it long ago.
If you are buying your own ISBNs, how do you prevent people from finding your real name? (taking into consideration that you have pen names).

·
Registered
136 Posts
Patty Jansen said:
Createspace will distribute your book to many retailers worldwide. KDP print doesn't. Createspace will make changes to your book for free. Ingram Spark charges you $25 a pop. There endeth the argument.
# Agreed.

Plus, I have recently published my first ever title under KDP Print... and unlike my CS titles, which never had any issue, this one came with a spine issue. Off to a good start... :mad:

A

·
0 Posts
Nobody222 said:
If you are buying your own ISBNs, how do you prevent people from finding your real name? (taking into consideration that you have pen names).
My ISBNs are all under my company name.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Does anyone know, will createspace send proofs to Australia still? I was planning on going with KDP, but not being able to get a proof copy concerns me a little. Mostly I just want to check that the colours come out right on the cover!

·
Registered
297 Posts
Rinelle Grey said:
Does anyone know, will createspace send proofs to Australia still? I was planning on going with KDP, but not being able to get a proof copy concerns me a little. Mostly I just want to check that the colours come out right on the cover!
I had a box of proofs delivered earlier this month. I'm not sure if I just got lucky, but I believe it was much faster than before. The delivery box also now says PRIME.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I do both CS and KDP for Leonard's paperbacks.

I like both.

I think I like KDP more now that they finally offer proof copies for authors. It's nice having your sales all on one dashboard.

But so far I have left The Mouse that Roared books in CS because I know that when I transfer them, KDP will ask me to prove copyright ownership all over again and it's just too annoying and random depending on who's handling your case.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I got the Amazon/CreateSpace email yesterday that I have been dreading - the coming merger. I have been CS all the way.

So yesterday I used KDP for the book I just released. Gave it a test run while holding my nose. Wow, is all I can say. Zon took CS's system and made it better. Way better. More options, easier to use, and faster. Colors? Tons, not just 50 standard not-what-I-want colors. The paperback went live within hours, instead of the typical two days with CS (I fiddle with cover adjustments sometimes).

I'm sold on the process, and I can hold out some slim hope that they will continue to improve it. As for the rest of the program, such as ordering my own copies, I'll have to give it a shot as a test. I saw I could add a proof copy to my "cart" at Zon, but didn't see where I could order author copies (if someone could give me a heads-up as to how and where that is, it would save me probably hours of fruitless scowling and whiskey-drinking).  :p

As far as getting a PB published, the process was a dream. I'm happy.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Laran Mithras said:
I'm sold on the process, and I can hold out some slim hope that they will continue to improve it. As for the rest of the program, such as ordering my own copies, I'll have to give it a shot as a test. I saw I could add a proof copy to my "cart" at Zon, but didn't see where I could order author copies (if someone could give me a heads-up as to how and where that is, it would save me probably hours of fruitless scowling and whiskey-drinking). :p
In the KDP Bookshelf, click the three-dot menu on the right of your book and there should be a "Request author copies" choice. They go to your Amazon shopping cart, which is a bit weird, but that's how I do it.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
BillyDeCarlo said:
In the KDP Bookshelf, click the three-dot menu on the right of your book and there should be a "Request author copies" choice. They go to your Amazon shopping cart, which is a bit weird, but that's how I do it.
On my dashboard, that gives two options:

Request Printed Proofs

and

Request Author Copies

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I just spent one minute looking for it and found it - and came here to edit my post to say never mind, found it. Ha.

But thanks for the answers! Zon has put some effort into making this easy.

41 - 60 of 63 Posts