Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
5,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Used to be "A list" and "B list", right? (was there ever a "C list"?) What is it now with the e-book explosion? Is there a heirarchy any more?

G

·
I assume this has something to do with your desire to get yourself named emperor and force everyone to buy your books? Trying to determine who you need to quietly send the assassins after to remove them as a threat?

·
Registered
5,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bards and Sages (Julie) said:
I assume this has something to do with your desire to get yourself named emperor and force everyone to buy your books? Trying to determine who you need to quietly send the assassins after to remove them as a threat?
Nah, it's just another Hugh Howey love thread.

·
Registered
5,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
glutton said:
Can
Rookie
Journeyman
Prospect
Gatekeeper
Contender
Champion
War Goddess
Shouldn't that be inverted? Unless the war goddess is on the bottom...which actually sounds like fun.

G

·
vrabinec said:
Shouldn't that be inverted? Unless the war goddess is on the bottom...which actually sounds like fun.
I was going from lowest to highest... and I guess 'Can' would refer to those writers who don't even attempt to format, proofread, edit, or use proper grammar, have no indentation, upload their work without covers, actually attempt to sell fanfiction illegally on Amazon, etc.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Wasn't really an A list, B list thing exactly like the actor's had. Although you could say A-list was ones that were top ten bestsellers, b-list were extended list best sellers. C-list would be effectively those that didn't hit the best sellers but routinely earned out royalties. Mid-list was everyone else that at least got listed. There were always a few authors that got their books published but seemed to get forgotten from the book publisher's list.

But those titles came from where and how the author's books were promoted in the publisher's catalog.

Now a days we are more concerned with how we are listed in a vendor's (Amazon etc.) catalog. Tha tmakes it hard to say with people doing well on one vendor sometimes and not others.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Starting at the bottom...

prawn
large prawn
jumbo prawn
artificial crabmeat
Basa
Swai
Tilapia
Cod
Flounder
Salmon
Tuna
crab
rock lobster
the other kind of lobster
orca
kraken

·
Registered
817 Posts
George Berger said:
orca
kraken
Whenever Hugh Howey posts, I will pay someone (I won't actually, but I'd respect you if you did this) to all caps, "RELEASE THE KRAKEN!" on his threads.

smreine said:
RELEASE THE ROCK LOBSTER!

No, wait. I mean...

RELEASE THE KRAKEN!
D*MN YOU, REINE! You beat me to the overused meme joke!

·
Registered
5,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Are you guys gonna take this seriously or not? This is important. It's like belt colors in karate. We have to have levels for authors to aspire to reach, otherwise, nobody wears a belt, pants fall down, and it all turns to crap.

·
Registered
817 Posts
vrabinec said:
Are you guys gonna take this seriously or not? This is important.
This is the Writer's Cafe. The only thing we take seriously are the escalating drama threads and flame wars.

·
Registered
786 Posts
vrabinec said:
Are you guys gonna take this seriously or not? This is important. It's like belt colors in karate. We have to have levels for authors to aspire to reach, otherwise, nobody wears a belt, pants fall down, and it all turns to crap.
It doesn't get much more serious than the kraken. 'Cept maybe for the prawns.

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
vrabinec said:
Used to be "A list" and "B list", right? (was there ever a "C list"?) What is it now with the e-book explosion? Is there a heirarchy any more?
As an almost serious response...

I think that we really have to tiers of authors right now. Kind of like when music split apart and there was the folk music and the art music (d*mn you, Beethoven!). On the one hand you have the top authors pushed by traditional publishers. People like John Grisham or JK Rowling. And then on a completely different tier you have people that are self publishing and are pushed to the top by their readers. People like Amanda Hocking or Hugh Howie.

Technically both tiers are successful but there's not a whole lot of crossover between the worlds yet. One sells large numbers to bored airport people and book clubs. The other appeals to the electronic gadget, spontaneous buying crowd.

·
Registered
84 Posts
vrabinec said:
The Hierarchy depends on who you ask, I suppose. If you look at it from the perspective of people outside publishing: readers, Hollywood folks, and bookstores it would go like this.

1. - Best Selling Traditional published authors like King and Grisham.
2. (Tie) - Traditionally published authors at any level.
2. (Tie) - Bestselling Indie authors who've gotten press in major publications and newspapers and maybe secured a film option or a traditional contract.
3. - Everyone else.

If you go by what people inside publishing think, the hierarchy would be similar with the traditional big sellers on top followed by traditional published authors who win awards or get high profile reviews. Below that, and in a completely different category, would be all self published and indie authors starting with the big sellers who've garnered attention in the press, and then anyone they can poach and use to make money. Below them, everyone else.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts