Kindle Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can honestly say that my sales have increased since some of them went free on Amazon. So, now that they've been out for a while, has it made an impact with you?

Carl

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
I'm about to find out. I've gone free on smashwords and it's already kicked in at B&N after 2 days.

Hopefully Amazon will pick it up.  ;)

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
My freebie is probably not the best one to draw many sales - it's a collection of two short stories, "very good but very short" according to what reviewers say. Some people just don't like short fiction, even if it is well written, and it shows. I've had over 9K downloads, 4 reviews (one of them 2-star, for shortness). So far, I don't see any big boost to my other books. Either people assume that all my books are on the short side, or they find my other books too different from the freebie collection. Don't know. Still, I think having a freebie is great for exposure.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
I just released my short story collection, and I'm selling the stories individually, as well.  I've made one of the stories free on Smashwords (hoping readers will like it and buy the entire collection.)  200 people have downloaded it in one day that its' been free so far.  (without me posting or mentioning it anywhere.)  I've only made one sale of the whole collection.  Of course, who knows if people have read it yet.

I also made my novella free for a weekend a while back, hoping to get some reviews.  65 people downloaded it, but no reviews.

The big difference between the two is that the novella had been out for a while before it went free, so I think it was harder to find.  The short story was free right when I released it and new books on smashwords show up on their home page, so I think more people are seeing it than with the novella.

So, thus far, free on Smashwords hasn't done much for me.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Mel Comley said:
I'm about to find out. I've gone free on smashwords and it's already kicked in at B&N after 2 days.

Hopefully Amazon will pick it up. ;)
Yeah, the trick is getting Amazon to make it free - it's all about hope lol

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Laura Lond said:
My freebie is probably not the best one to draw many sales - it's a collection of two short stories, "very good but very short" according to what reviewers say. Some people just don't like short fiction, even if it is well written, and it shows. I've had over 9K downloads, 4 reviews (one of them 2-star, for shortness). So far, I don't see any big boost to my other books. Either people assume that all my books are on the short side, or they find my other books too different from the freebie collection. Don't know. Still, I think having a freebie is great for exposure.
I've always thought that if you're going to release a book for free it should be one of your best, after all it's the others you want to sell and if the book you set free isn't up to scratch where is the incentive to buy your others. As for the shortness of the work, a lot of people out there do like short stories but others are getting used to seeing complete books for free. Personally, I believe it's time to change that expectation and I've already started to put up the prices of some of my books. Whatever happens I wish you luck with yours.

Carl

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Yes Carl, I completely agree - the freebie must be an excellent example of the author's work. In my case, shortness is really the only weak point of the book. I did a lot of thinking when choosing which one I would shoot for to try to make free. For many reasons, I didn't have a better choice. When I have more books out I'll probably do something different.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Ain't No Sunshine went free on Saturday and I have a little over 21k downloads so far. I've gotten a few 5 star reviews a 1 and a 2. I've decided to stop reading reviews because the bad ones depress me far more than the good ones excite me.

Since Saturday, I've sold about 60 Guardian of Eden books and about 20 Queen Bee's. So, I think the freebie is helping sales.

Twin shorts is also free. When it went free last month I saw an increase of about 40 sales. It hasn't sustained to this month though as I'm at 15 for the month.

·
Registered
926 Posts
I'm thrilled with the 12K downloads of We are the Monsters--I've definitely seen an uptick in sales for my other books, especially The House Eaters (40+ in the last three days after only selling 11 for the first half of the month). 

The exposure is priceless.  So what if only 5% of the free downloads read the book?  It's still a big number--

;D

·
Registered
235 Posts
My freebie went to #1 in Erotica on Amazon UK (I think it's currently #2).

So far this month, I have already sold twice as many units as I did for all of May.  But I only started in May, so it's difficult to tell if that is due to the freebie story or not.

It woul be nice to know, so I am interested in what others say on this thread.  :)

Angelina

·
Registered
134 Posts
Random, "I'm new at this" question.  Do the publishing houses also have to beg and wait for amazon to make their stuff free, or can they just set the list price to $0?

·
Registered
12,233 Posts
modwitch said:
4) It totally messed with my also boughts. It took almost three weeks for that book to be back associated with my other books, and almost a month to get a pretty good collection of "non-free" also boughts.
Wow, I hadn't even thought about this. :eek:

·
Registered
6,565 Posts
It did great things for the books which were free, especially the first one.  That one is no longer free and is selling very well -- though it has slowed a lot over time, and I think it has settled.

It has NOT translated at all to any of my other books.  The sales on those came to a complete halt when the two books were made free.  They've started to trickle back to normal now.

The other really cool thing is that I suddenly started selling the free books on UK, and that has kept up too -- but at a much slower pace.  I also finally sold another book there.

I have a better book to be a freebie, and so I have made that free elsewhere, and I'm going to leave it for a while, see if Amazon picks it up eventually -- either on its own, or via reports. (So far reporting hasn't worked, but it's only showing up free on Smashwords and iBookstore.  Could be it needs a little more coverage.)

Camille

1 - 14 of 14 Posts