Kindle Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, Vella have found some readers, so it's made a start.

The top trending book has 2803 thumbs-up. Wolf by Rebecca Zanetti is a shapeshifter story with 37 episodes uploaded. She has over 40 books published and has been on the New York bestseller list as well as on Barnes and Noble and Amazon and iBooks bestseller lists. Her website is awaesome..

Not surprised that The Mariage Auction by Audrey Carlan comes in at 913 thumbs-up after it got some publicity from a journalist raving about it with an article after he checked out Vella. As a number one bestselling author of the New York Times, Wall street Journal, and USA Today, I guess that has helped with other articles mentioning her participation. He did say that some of the authors had yet to learn lessons on writing serial fiction from some of the samples he read. The Mariage Auction has 8 episodes with tags including strong heroine, steamy romance..

On the nonfiction side Hugh Howey is doing really well with 628 likes for his biography, Death and Life and 20 episodes uploaded. I would have thought that a biography would be a hard one to crack, but then it is our own Hugh Howe of Wool fame..

Those seem to be the top three trending so far. Others down the pecking order, the thumbs-up drop dramatically so they're going to need more readers.

By far the majority of faved books have more than 15 episodes, but Bug with only 5 episodes it has 156 likes for a dystopian, urban fiction, zombie story.

Not sure what all that means and if the thumbs-up are only on the free episodes. Great if we could hear if anyone had had episodes purchased for tokens yet or even reads with likes or reviews for the free chapters..

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
As a reader, I'm sure I'll find something to spend my free tokens on. Asking me to buy a bunch once those tokens are exhausted is a bigger hurdle for me. I will need to be hooked on something.

I think of myself as atypical of a Vella reader, though. I don't read on my phone and I'm well past the age of impulse buying. I can also get a lot of free content from my library and I subscribe to KU, so the cost of purchasing new tokens will be something I approach with some reluctance. Again, I'm not the kind of reader who will make or break Vella, though. Amazon wants the young readers who don't mind reading fan-fic.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Great if we could hear if anyone had had episodes purchased for tokens yet or even reads with likes or reviews for the free chapters..
Yes to purchased episodes, follows, and likes (no reviews or faves yet) but tiny numbers. I'm not seeing any real significant sampling of Episode 1 like I expected.

I drove no traffic. So organic discovery is there and paying users are there, but it's nothing to get too excited about.

The payment rate works out right (about half a cent per 100 words) so there's no trickery from Amazon there and its basically 3x KU rates.

·
Registered
2 Posts
That's really interesting. I wonder what will be the top selling category once thinks have settled in. I'll definitely be watching to see. Thanks for the great write up!

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
That's really interesting. I wonder what will be the top selling category once thinks have settled in. I'll definitely be watching to see. Thanks for the great write up!
It will be Romance because they'll bring their own super-loyal readers over themselves. They'll use it as basically "early access" to get the higher royalty rate, then republish as a book later for the page reads.

The question is whether anything but Romance can get a toehold, and whether readers will sample other stuff aside from the author that brought them in.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I've enjoyed reading some of the samples at Vella, and appreciate those of you who might have taken a look at my work - as well as that of others in the kboards threads - so we all get some eyes on our novels. Still, I find the backdrop of Vella to be particularly haphazard and difficult to maneuver towards the books I'm searching for. And, as with many new sales platforms, Vella isn't developed yet to showcase a lot of high-quality works. Give it time, and there will likely be several great books in each category, but right now there aren't enough to drive much interest. I like the income compared to Kindle Unlimited, but without more good books, there won't be enough buyers.............. the usual Catch - 22.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I'm fairly high in my individual categories. Of course, the only category that counts for discoverability right now is Science Fiction, because that's easiest for readers to click to. I am happy to report I'm No. 1 in the Star Fleet category. Of course, I'm also the only story in the Star Fleet category, too. But at least I am No. 1 in something. :)

·
Registered
633 Posts
I'm fairly high in my individual categories. Of course, the only category that counts for discoverability right now is Science Fiction, because that's easiest for readers to click to. I am happy to report I'm No. 1 in the Star Fleet category. Of course, I'm also the only story in the Star Fleet category, too. But at least I am No. 1 in something. :)

You're more than No. 1 in Star Fleet category. You're No. 1 in writing - I've been sampling lots of stories and yours is the first that I wanted to follow and I also left a review. Best of luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
What I've heard so far is people are returning episodes and reusing coins.

·
Registered
5,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Found this on Youtube. Early days for data, but I found it interesting. You need to expand the video to see the numbers of the spread sheets.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I find the backdrop of Vella to be particularly haphazard and difficult to maneuver towards the books I'm searching for. And, as with many new sales platforms, Vella isn't developed yet to showcase a lot of high-quality works.
Basically agree, but I'd phrase it a bit differently. The top stuff is easy to find, but they aren't distinguishing between the other stuff with a little traction and the really bad or miscategorized stuff. Page 1 is a mess in most tags/searches and most people aren't going to go further than that. But there's stuff several pages deep that should have been on page 1 based on any reasonable comparison of engagement.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts