Kindle Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I thought I'd test out Bookbub and requested a listing for the new title. It meets their criteria.

Until now, I've received no reply. They do mention that, if they haven't replied in 48 hours they can't place the title but is this really good business practice?

Are places such as this and ENT so beyond mere mortals that they can't even send a short message to say either "we don't like your book" or "we don't have space on that day, but how about this one"?

I feel a serious pout coming on.  :mad:

What is your experience with Bookbub? Do they need lots of notice? You can't book more than one month in advance.

·
Registered
5,749 Posts
What is the date of the listing you want to book? I've always booked about 3 weeks in advance, and they generally get back to me within a day or two saying whether or not they've accepted the ad. This last time they responded a day later saying that the date I'd requested was booked, but offering a different date.

Anyway, if the date you're trying to book is this week, it might be that they're not responding because they simply don't have room.

·
Registered
16,323 Posts
They've always been extremely courteous and cooperative with me even when they said they couldn't book something for some reason. In my case, it was because I'd too recently had an ad. But he explained why and offered an alternative. I've never had an email just ignored.

I'm surprised and would say that any company can slip up. I have no reason to believe that it's a pattern.

ETA: I have also found the people at ENT to be responsive and courteous, by the way.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I'm glad to see this thread got started. I was thinking about asking the questions myself as to whether they respond to let you know you won't be in and how far in advance they let you know if you will. I've tried twice but not heard back either time.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
They always reply to me and very nicely. I don't think it's personal. Just write them and ask about placing an ad for you book again. They do get a lot of interest, things fall through the cracks:)

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
I've run ads with them and had no problem; I also once had a book turned down (a memoir, which was very new and had only one review), and they responded quickly, within a day or two, to say they couldn't accept it.

Write again. Maybe you went to spam or got lost or just ... "something."

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
My experience with them has been very good. I had applied for a Teen/YA book, and they replied within the next 2 days asking some questions (legitimate and meant to help better place the book). I ended up featuring another book, and once again, they had replied within the promised 2 days frame to let me know the listing was approved.

·
Registered
16,323 Posts
Bruce Blake said:
I followed up my advertising requests with BookBub this morning and got this response:

"We actually are no longer able to respond to all of the submissions that we don't go on to feature."

Good to know for anyone else who submits.
Ugh. That is an unattractive attitude. How much work does it take to have an email just saying, "Sorry we can't help you. Hope you try again."

However, as I mentioned previously, my experience with them has always been good.

·
Registered
5,659 Posts
I know when I requested placement it was right on their site that if you didn't hear within 48 hours then the book was not accepted. I suppose they just must be very busy. I don't see this as unprofessional as long as it's on their site.

When I did get accepted I then needed to change my date and emailed them.  When I didn't hear back on the change, I emailed again and they were extremely nice. The first request for date chance had gone to spam. He apologized for it and everything and changed the date, no problem.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I have a book there today.  They probably already picked one in your category for the date you wanted.  With so many books free, I understand why they can't answer all emails.  Of course, they charge for the ad, so it's not like not getting a response from Pixel or ENT when you go free--so I can see your point. 

Right now I want to see if my ad is generating anything but KDP reports is "under maintenance." My addiction is being snuffed and I'm getting twitchy.   

·
Registered
877 Posts
I am only making a guess, but I would suspect that it isn't just a matter of not having the time to respond to every inquiry. If they send a polite "I'm sorry, but we are declining to feature your book at this time" note to each one, many of those authors would then be likely to argue the decision, ask for more information on why they declined, etc. I can imagine that it takes more toll on their work load than a simple "sorry, but no."

·
Registered
16,323 Posts
Kwalker said:
I am only making a guess, but I would suspect that it isn't just a matter of not having the time to respond to every inquiry. If they send a polite "I'm sorry, but we are declining to feature your book at this time" note to each one, many of those authors would then be likely to argue the decision, ask for more information on why they declined, etc. I can imagine that it takes more toll on their work load than a simple "sorry, but no."
It reminds me a bit too much of the excuses given by agents who couldn't be bothered with even an automated response so you could be sure your email had been delivered. I understand the problems and have found them great to work with, but it's still not an attitude I find admirable when you can't bother to respond to business correspondence.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
I agree that a company that charges upwards of $1000 for an ad can find the time to respond to people who wanted to spend money with them but could not be placed.

But I sort of figured this day was coming. Any advertising venue that is producing results will eventually get overwhelmed or change their model to something that no longer works. Use 'em while they are hot! It won't last!

·
Registered
400 Posts
The couple of times I applied (unsuccessfully) Rick got back to me within 24 hours, but that was about a month ago. Hopefully they'll use some of the money we're throwing at them to hire an intern to answer all the emails!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts