Kindle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
World War II in Europe, Africa, and the Americas, with General Sources: A Handbook of Literature and Research (Kindle Edition)
by Loyd E. Lee (Editor)
No customer reviews yet. Be the first.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Digital List Price: $165.00  What's this? 
Print List Price: $165.00
Kindle Price: $132.00 & includes wireless delivery via Amazon Whispernet
You Save: $33.00 (20%) 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What's up with prices like this?  Anyone have any idea why a book would be so expensive for the Kindle? :eek:

·
Super Moderator
67,556 Posts
Get a sample and see. . . .N.B. be very careful that you click 'sample' and not 'buy'! :)

There's a book on Nuclear science that's over $6000.  Has lots of diagrams and charts. . .at least, the first chapter or so does. . . .

Ann

·
Registered
599 Posts
From the title, it sounds like a textbook, which usually cost way more than regular leisure reading books.

·
Registered
493 Posts
idolguy said:
What's up with prices like this? Anyone have any idea why a book would be so expensive for the Kindle? :eek:
I'm glad you asked, I answer this question in my new book, "Why a Book Would Be So Expensive for the Kindle", available in kindle format for $923.99. :)

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Encender Vaquero said:
I'm glad you asked, I answer this question in my new book, "Why a Book Would Be So Expensive for the Kindle", available in kindle format for $923.99. :)
I think I am falling in love with you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Is it a new release? It appears to me within the 24 to 48 hours of a new book coming out, I am seeing Kindle prices being the exact same as the hard cover price.  Not too thrilled about that discovery as this seems to be a new trend.  My wife wanted Jodi Picoult's new book "Handle with Care".  The hard copy price and the kindle price on the first day were the same at $15.37.  I noticed on Thursday evening the Kindle price dropped to $13.  This morning the price is down to the normal $9.99.  This really stinks because a lot of people want to put a book on their pre-order list and have it show up on your kindle, but you will be paying top dollar to buy like that.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Encender Vaquero said:
There seems to be something wrong with your sample.

It just repeats, "Wait for it." over and over. I do not understand. Is this supposed to be a mystery? ;)

·
Registered
37 Posts
I will tell you that publishers feel that they get a bit of a bad deal on Kindle editions.  The publisher generally gets 45% of the sale price for a print book, but they only get 35% of the sale price for a Kindle edition.  So the publisher of the WWII book actually took a $28 cut on the Kindle edition.  I'm reasonably sure the printing and distribution didn't cost $28 per book.  ;)

·
Registered
154 Posts
Here's one I was interested in, but passed on:

Codebreakers (Kindle Edition)
by David Kahn (Author)

31 Reviews
5 star:  (19)
4 star:  (5)
3 star:  (3)
2 star:  (2)
1 star:  (2)
4.2 out of 5 stars See all reviews (31 customer reviews)

Digital List Price: $40.00  What's this?
Print List Price: $60.00
Kindle Price: $32.00 & includes wireless delivery via Amazon Whispernet
You Save: $28.00 (47%)

Hey, I could have saved $28!!  One of the reviews says it's 1,200 pages long, that might explain it.  And it does have quite a few good to enthusiastic reviews.  Still passed. 

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.