Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a big fan of crime and mystery fiction myself, and don't read much beside that, history, and occasionally literature.  Lots of people around these parts seem to enjoy romance or fantasy.  What are your favorites?

·
Registered
876 Posts
I enjoy trashy novels - which is good, considering I wrote one - but mainly, I read crime, thrillers...I like some fantasy and sci-fi, too.

·
Registered
122 Posts
1. Mysteries/suspense
2. Biographies
3. Historical Fiction

I read lots of different things...but no horror and no paranormal.

·
Registered
16,323 Posts
The novel I happen to be enjoying right this second?

I love historical fiction, but there isn't a huge amount of good historical fiction out there, certainly not enough to feed my reading addiction.

I love fantasies but am VERY picky so a lot of what's out there I don't like.

I love mysteries but again I'm quite picky.

And I love novels with LGBT protagonists which some people consider a separate genre. I don't, but that depends on how you look at it. There are, for example, some extremely good mysteries with gay/lesbian protagonists.

I could never say ONE is my favorite.

·
Premium Member
6,848 Posts
I read a lot of different things - from Historical Fiction to Celebrity Memoirs to Contemporary Literature ..... but my fave fave fave favorite genres are (and always have been) Science Fiction and Fantasy.

·
Premium Member
6,848 Posts
JRTomlin said:
And I love novels with LGBT protagonists which some people consider a separate genre. I don't, but that depends on how you look at it. There are, for example, some extremely good mysteries with gay/lesbian protagonists.
hmmmmm ..... I keep my LGBT novels in separate collections from my regular fiction but that's mostly because I want to find them easily when I'm in the mood to hang out with my own peeps.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
JRTomlin said:
And I love novels with LGBT protagonists which some people consider a separate genre. I don't, but that depends on how you look at it.
I hate to speak from ignorance (not that it ever stops me), but I can imagine that some LGBT fiction would appeal mainly to LGBT people themselves, while other stories would find a larger audience. As I mentioned in another thread, Joseph Hansen's mysteries featuring gay detective Dave Brandstetter were widely read and admired among fans of private eye fiction.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Historical fiction and historical romance (and history NF!)
I've read historical fiction for years, after Margaret George's 'The Autobiography of Henry VIII' whetted my appetite. I devoured anything and everything in that genre and came acroos historical romance by accident...and have loved it ever since. It's the escapism that does it for me.

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
Horror novels are my passion.  I love them.  They are what first got me reading and into writing.  After that come thrillers and detective novels.  I went through a Tom Clancy phase one, too, when I worked at a radio station where my job seemed to be sitting there for 4 hours doing nothing...and I wanted LOOOONNNG books to read.

·
Registered
10,391 Posts
Mainly science fiction and fantasy, and some science nonfiction. I'm generally underwhelmed when I try to stretch outside of those genres, except when humor is involved: good humor, parody, satire, etc. can make me enjoy many genres I would otherwise eschew. (I hadn't used the word "eschew" in a forum post for quite some time, so I decided this was a good opportunity.)

·
Registered
632 Posts
YA Fiction
Fantasy
Sci-Fi
Juvenile Fiction

Those are most of what I read, but I read EVERYTHING, except maybe horror.  Not at the top of my list, but I'll pick it up if I get a good recommend.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Action/thriller like James Patterson, John Sanford and such.

As of late I've been enjoying a lot of YA fiction also like the Heroes Of Olympus series by Rick Riordan, the Immortal Nicholas Flamel series by Michael Scott and the Leviathan series by Scott Westerfeld.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I love mystery, but all fiction is great--I like romance, suspense, family sagas.  I just don't read very much non-fiction, even though I know there's lots of interesting stuff out there.  I like to get inside a good story.

Julia

·
Registered
142 Posts
Horror is definitely my favorite but I read anything and everything...I'm not picky as long as it is a good story.
Crime/suspense/spy type novels (sure wish I could remember all those spy "tricks" they describe in the books! LOL) science fiction/fantasy/classics, etc. I mostly read for fun but if it's a subject that interests me I wil read non-fiction also.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts