Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you're like me, you look at the cover and go quickly to chapter one, read the opening line and start the decision process. Do I buy it? Maybe you read the opening line of chapter two. It either grabs you or it doesn't. What is your favorite opening line? One that you wrote. And tell us what book please, might want to buy it.

Here's one of mine from my latest novel, First to Die.

A dark SUV slipped through the fog and came to a stop. It was quiet. Almost silent.

·
Registered
16,323 Posts
One to a historical novel trilogy I will be publishing soon:

"Putain de merde!"

·
Registered
522 Posts
This is from my WIP:

Of course you think I'm a rambling idiot.

·
Registered
147 Posts
"In the gathering gloom, a light rain had begun spitting in his face and Appius Claudius Caudex was making a dash across the strait." (The War God's Men)

·
Registered
395 Posts
My favorite belongs to my current fantasy/fairytale WIP:

Addan discovered fire. It floated in the air, angry and red, and when his eyes fell upon it, it spoke to him.
I'm also rather fond of the opening line from Gods Tomorrow, though:

It was easier than he ever would have imagined, wringing a woman's neck.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Runner up, from The White Tree:

"It was the dog's fault Dante was about to die."

And my personal favorite, from a story I sold called "Steve Kendrick's Disease":

"We went to Greenvale for the same reason anyone goes anywhere: to steal all the good stuff while everyone was offplanet."

·
Registered
164 Posts
Favorite ever:

"It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen."

My own is from a short story:  

"The day after the American boy drowned, John Keefe fished a camera from the river."

·
Registered
231 Posts
Though hours before dawn on a cool, rainy spring morning....  ('Twas a dark and stormy night rehashed, lol).

·
Registered
691 Posts
My favorite opening line - of a novella I sold to a literary magazine, was:

"The sex with Mom was good, and for once, I was in the mood for it."  

(The novella's title is 'Pigman's Fingers' - and yes, it got much darker than that.)

They edited it around and hid the opening line a few paragraphs in :)

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Ian Fraser said:
My favorite opening line - of a novella I sold to a literary magazine, was:

"The sex with Mom was good, and for once, I was in the mood for it."

(The novella's title is 'Pigman's Fingers' - and yes, it got much darker than that.)

They edited it around and hid the opening line a few paragraphs in :)
Awesome. An editor really only has two choices after reading that line: reject it like it was fired out of a cannon, or read to the end on the spot.

·
Registered
334 Posts
"The day I learnt I was a demon was the worst day of my life." - The Demon Girl by Penelope Fletcher ... me! Lol.

But, I have to contribute one I didn't write, which I think is one of the most amazing opening lines ever; "It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife." - Jane Austen/Pride and Prejudice.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts