Kindle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a Keurig and I've had it for years. They had to replace my first one within the first year, but this machine has lasted for many years and I'm starting to have problems. I've started searching & reading reviews and of course, they are mixed for every machine. There is a BUNN that is supposed to be good. Anyone own that? Thoughts?

There are many different Keurigs out there and it seems a lot of stores have their own model.  Trying to decide if I want to go the Keurig route again or try another. They seem to have a lot of options that are nice, but quality seems to be an issue. I see Sam's Club has a Keurig that comes with a reusable Kcup. I don't see others with that. Can all of the newer 2.0 versions use a reusable kcup? That is basically all we use here. I very rarely actually buy the kcups.

What do you think is the best single serve coffee machine?

·
Registered
9,160 Posts
Mr. Coffee BVMC-KG2B-001 Single Serve Coffee Maker, Black

I can't get the picture link to come up with Link-Maker, but the text links to the current model of the Mr. Coffee single serve brewer I have had for years. It works with all brands of K-cups as well as any K-cup adapter I have tried.

We started out with a Keurig, and after sending back or throwing away (recycling) 3 different machines because of problems with the pump/reservoir, we bought the Mr. Coffee because there is no reservoir. You fill the water for each cup.

The Mr. Coffee version is less expensive and works just the same. The only drawback to the original version I have is no size selection for the cup to be able to brew a "mug" of coffee rather than a regular cup. This newer version does say it will brew a 9 oz. cup. I still grind beans and use the adapter most of the time. I do see some Mr. Coffee machines now that have a reservoir, but I am quite content with my fill-at-a-time version.

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
I had a single serve Keurig that worked well until it didn't. I don't drink much coffee -- maybe one or two cups per day. This is my single serve

Or this one if you want glass, not plastic

For hot water . . . I have had one of these on my counter for many years

And a taller model if you want to put a mug under it. Holds the same amount of water as shorter model.

·
Registered
12,250 Posts
Many moons ago, I got a Senseo pod maker. It was a free promo and at the time I really liked it. Instead of all that plastic, senseo pods only use filter material in flat round shape. The system came from europe and they still thrive there. Then it became hard to find the pods in stores. So I got a Tassimo 10 years ago when it came out. I liked that system better than the Keurig that came out around the same time. They offered coffee brands from europe. I am guessing that is why they didn't catch on in the US. some of the tassimo disks are meant for 4-6 ounce coffees, which is a normal cup in Europe. It took them a long time to make super sized disks to brew 12 ounces with.
For a while they had Tassimo disks in stores, but Keurig pretty much took over the market.

I used use a french press back in the day, but because of my stomach issues, I couldn't do it anymore.

Then a few years ago I got a aeropress

And that is all I use now. I have a nice Bodum coffee bean grinder and get nice beans. Because it uses paper filters, I don't have the GERD issues as I had with the french press.

If I ever would buy one again, I would probably get one of those Mr. Coffee's crebel posted. So one can still use their own beans if wanted. It would be handy say in a 2 level house on the top one. If I ever find a darn house.

I drink coffee in the morning and then switch to tea.

·
Registered
899 Posts
I'm the only coffee drinker in the house. I'd like to get away from the Keurig but my problem is many of the reviews mention grounds in the cup. Thanks for the options mentioned... maybe one of these days I'll break down and buy another machine.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I remember one morning near the end of a really rough week in the office when we were standing around the Keurig machine, waiting our turns. As I put my cup in the machine, pressed the 'Go' button and waited for the machine to spit out coffee, I turned to my coworkers and said, "You know it's going to be a tough day when the instant coffee machine isn't instant enough."

My requirements in a good coffee machine:
  • Direct water line connection so it is never out of water.
  • Easy to clean. No hidden chambers that you can only access by disassembling the machine. Actual drains for spills rather than a hidden reservoir that holds onto spilled coffee for weeks. (It will take on a horrific stench if not cleaned!)
  • LARGE capacity. We don't generally drink from tiny teacups. Most of us use mugs!
  • A Separate hot water spigot for tea drinkers. When the water goes through the K-cup holder, it picks up the flavor of all the coffee that had passed through it before. Nothing worse than a coffee-flavored cup of Constant Comment tea. (Though, mocha isn't too bad for hot chocolate on occasion.)
  • Durable, with a good solid feel.

I am not so attached to any given brand so long as it is well-made and functions well.

Businesses should not dismiss the importance of a good coffee machine. When our K-machine broke down, the entire engineering department spent SIX HOURS taking it apart and fixing what was broken. (We also retooled it so it worked better, which included adding the separate spigot for hot water for non-coffee drinks.) Same company, when they decided they didn't want to pay for K-cups, had to put up with everyone walking out of the office during coffee break, walking down to the local coffee shop, and not being in the office for the better part of an hour. After two weeks of that, they started buying K-cups again.

In the end, what was the best instant coffee machine? It was an old, 4-gallon, 100-cup, percolator. Pull the handle and your cup filled instantly with artificial consciousness. No cups, no waiting. Just magically appearing, excellent coffee!

·
Registered
794 Posts
I've grown quite fond of our Nespresso Vertuoline. The flavors are superb and it's easy to use. Add hot milk from the frother accessory and it's sublime. Never thought much of the taste of Keurig.
The only issue we've had with the Nespresso is a clog malfunction that occurred as soon as we returned from a road trip, after it hadn't been used for about ten days. The trick, it seems, is if it's going to be idle for a period of time, descale it before you go. That cleans out whatever sediment is in the pump and plumbing before it's allowed to turn to rock (yes, even with filtered water).
It's funny, too, because before the Nespresso entered our kitchen, I'd been a lifelong fan of Taster's Choice instant (a taste I picked up in the Army all those years ago. My first sergeant's wife used to send it to him, and he was most generous about sharing). Now, TC tastes like dishwater to me.
WPG

1 - 8 of 8 Posts