Kindle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my Kindle for about 3 weeks.  Frequently, when I use the "wheel" (forgot what it is called, and didn't check the manual) it doesn't move, and I have to work it a bit to move to an option on the screen.  Should I be concerned that my unit is defective?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
jweakley said:
I've had my Kindle for about 3 weeks. Frequently, when I use the "wheel" (forgot what it is called, and didn't check the manual) it doesn't move, and I have to work it a bit to move to an option on the screen. Should I be concerned that my unit is defective?

Thanks.
Do you mean that the wheel itself doesn't turn or the little silver boxes don't appear and move around?

L

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The wheel turns, but the "selection marker" often doesn't move up or down the area I'll call the "slide area."

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
jweakley said:
The wheel turns, but the "selection marker" often doesn't move up or down the area I'll call the "slide area."
I would say that you should contact customer service about that. It doesn't sound like normal behavior.

(Details on contacting CS are in the FAQ thread. There is a link at the top of the board.)

L

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My thanks to all.  And to correct my prior terminology, the situation with my Kindle is that frequently when I turn the Select Wheel the Cursor Bar doesn't move, and I have to spin the wheel to change the cursor bar's position.  I have contacted customer service about the matter.

Jack

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I received the below response from Amazon concerning the described issues with my cursor and scroll wheel.  Perhaps it will be of value to others that have a similar experience.

"Usually resetting the device will fix this problem. You will need a paper clip or other small object to perform this reset. Please don't use a pencil or any similar object where the tip may break off in the Kindle and could potentially damage the device.

1. Connect your Kindle to the power adapter, and ensure the charging indicator is on.
2. Turn the power switch on the back of the Kindle to the "On" position.
3. Carefully slide the gray back cover from the Kindle.
4. Locate the small hole on the back that is labeled Reset.
5. Insert the paper clip into the hole until you feel the button depress, hold the paper clip there for 5 seconds and then release.
6. The Kindle's screen should go blank, and then begin to restart. You'll notice the silver cursor moving up the right side of the device. The Home Screen will appear once the device has finished restarting."

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
jweakley said:
Leslie,

I will do it tonight after I save my books to a SD card.
It's good to be cautious but just so you know, a reset does not usually affect your library. In case your Kindle freezes and you can't back up your library, a reset will be the solution.

L

·
Super Moderator
67,323 Posts
I usually try a soft reset first, if the buttons are working, and only resort to a hard reset if it's totally frozen.  Why?  Just because it's easier.  And if it works I don't have to take my Kindle out of it's cover.

Ann

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Ann Von Hagel said:
I usually try a soft reset first, if the buttons are working, and only resort to a hard reset if it's totally frozen. Why? Just because it's easier. And if it works I don't have to take my Kindle out of it's cover.

Ann
I agree, Ann, I do the same thing. Alt-Shift-R for a soft reset (shift is the up arrow key).

L

1 - 12 of 12 Posts