Kindle Forum banner

When do you open a newly downloaded ebook?

• Immediately

Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Same Day

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • 2 or 3 Days

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • A Week or So

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • A Month or Sometimes Never

Votes: 10 45.5%
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious what your habits are from the time you download an ebook to the time you open it and start reading it.

For me it depends on how exciting the book is I suppose.  Most of the time I download an ebook to read later when I have the time.  Other times I will download if an ebook is a freebie and may not read that freebie for weeks or more than a month or more.

What about you?

·
Registered
16,323 Posts
I rarely download a book I don't intend to read immediately or at least the same day. I don't download novels that I'm not interested in enough to want to read them immediately.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
I'm a stockpiler. Like today, Stephen King's Under the Dome was a KDD. I read it when it first came out, but that was a borrowed library copy. So I bought it with the idea that eventually I'd like to have all his stuff (or at least most - I never did like the Dark Tower series) on my Kindle.

I also tend to read in waves. So, even though I'm not really in the mood for post-apocalyptic or sci-fi right now, I know I will be eventually.

All that being a long way to say that I often don't open books I download for weeks or months.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dan C. Rinnert said:
For me, it's usually immediately or the same day. For example, I have WiFi at home but not at the office. So, if I buy a book at work and have it delivered to my device, I won't get to open it until I get home and it downloads. But, if I buy a book at home, then I open it as soon as it's downloaded.
Thanks for the feedback... I think the results in this thread may be very interesting!

P.S. I like your book covers... did you create those? (the 3D ones)

·
Registered
12,255 Posts
Anywhere from now to 4 years  :D. Yep, I still have paid kindle books from 4 years ago I haven't read or opened yet.

I am just all over the place like that. Plus I buy when stuff is on sale. I can't tell you how many times I been recommended something and I find out by looking on Amazon that I own it.  :p. I have even tried borrowing a ebook from the library and Amazon tells me, no no, you own this one oh clueless one.  ;D

I will eventually get to all my purchased books, but I save a lot of money buy buying when on sale and reading whenever the heck I want.

·
Registered
16,323 Posts
Atunah said:
Anywhere from now to 4 years :D. Yep, I still have paid kindle books from 4 years ago I haven't read or opened yet.

I am just all over the place like that. Plus I buy when stuff is on sale. I can't tell you how many times I been recommended something and I find out by looking on Amazon that I own it. :p. I have even tried borrowing a ebook from the library and Amazon tells me, no no, you own this one oh clueless one. ;D

I will eventually get to all my purchased books, but I save a lot of money buy buying when on sale and reading whenever the heck I want.
I have done that. They should change the message to "no, idiot, we're not letting you buy it AGAIN." But I will have read it and forgotten which is even better. :D

·
Registered
12,255 Posts
JRTomlin said:
I have done that. They should change the message to "no, idiot, we're not letting you buy it AGAIN." But I will have read it and forgotten which is even better. :D
Yeah, I have those too. Which is why I track my reading on goodreads and also do spreadsheets. Yet I still look at something and then figure out I already read it. The downside of reading a lot I guess. ;D

·
Registered
12,230 Posts
The only time I download something and don't read it right away is when it's just a sample or a freebie. But if I paid money for it, I dig in immediately.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
To me, it doesn't matter if I paid or it's a freebie. If I wanted it enough to buy it I wanted it enough to read it now.

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
It really depends on the book.

If it is non-fic for research I'm doing I'll open it the same day or next day.

If it is fiction that I buy it depends on how badly I want to read it and my free time.

If it is Free fiction I might eyeball it in the first week to see if I like it. I am very picky about downloading Free books too. If it captures me, anything can happen and I might make the time to read it. If it doesn't capture me quickly I may not touch it for a month or more, but I will get back to it.

If a book can't pull me in with the first 20% I might try 10% more. If no, then I stop. It's not that I need a big bang or conflict at the beginning either. It could just be the setting and the set-up, or it could be just the voice the author has that keeps me wanting to turn the page.

·
Registered
12,255 Posts
Amanda Brice said:
It totally depends. Sometimes I download, open, and immediately dig right in. Sometimes I stockpile and it could be weeks, months, even years before I get to it.
Thank you. I started to feel like the lone ranger out here. :D. I can't believe I am the only stock piling and taking years to get to stuff. Heck, I have paper books I haven't gotten to yet, that have set in the bookshelf since before I needed bifocals. ;D

·
Registered
5,749 Posts
The sad thing is that my Kindle died last week and I haven't gotten around to replacing it yet. I have easily 300 unread books on it. You know what I'm doing instead? Reading all the paperbacks still in my TBR stacks from before I got my Kindle.

I could stop buying books tomorrow and be set for the next few years between the unread books on my Kindle and the unread paperbacks on my shelves. And yet I don't stop buying. It's an obsession, I tell you!

·
Registered
12,255 Posts
Amanda Brice said:
The sad thing is that my Kindle died last week and I haven't gotten around to replacing it yet. I have easily 300 unread books on it. You know what I'm doing instead? Reading all the paperbacks still in my TBR stacks from before I got my Kindle.

I could stop buying books tomorrow and be set for the next few years between the unread books on my Kindle and the unread paperbacks on my shelves. And yet I don't stop buying. It's an obsession, I tell you!
I always say it could be worse. Other collect shoes and handbags. I collect and read books. ;D

I too cannot stop buying. And I don't really want to anyway. If I buy something today on sale and read it a year from now, I still have saved money. Its not like the books are going anywhere or taking up space.

I have to make up for years of not reading. I went from zero to 180 the first year with my Kindle in 2008. I never looked back. :p

I am just not organized enough to only buy what I will read right now. I would never save money and I wouldn't have the joy of hunting for books. Its actually fun for me to find stuff I want to read.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts