Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm on day 2 of my promo which has been great - I got up to 17 in Kindle Free. But now it's slipped to 19. Do I pull the plug on it? Does the  free ranking have any bearing on where it ends up on the paid ranking? Or am I better to see the promo through to the end, even if the free ranking slides downwards.

Not sure how this works, so any advice/opinions would be gratefully received  :) Thank you!

·
Registered
504 Posts
Dude, that's awesome!

Sorry, no real advice. The highest I've ever managed was 911 (hehe - I actually work for a company that makes software for 911).

Sounds like you're getting a tonne of downloads anyway. Personally I'd stick with it.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bec Allinson said:
Dude, that's awesome!

Sorry, no real advice. The highest I've ever managed was 911 (hehe - I actually work for a company that makes software for 911).

Sounds like you're getting a tonne of downloads anyway. Personally I'd stick with it.
Cheers Bec. Sounds like 911 is your lucky number :D

·
Registered
63 Posts
Definitely sounds like you've got a great promo running. The best I ever managed was #682, so you're doing awesome. How'd the rest of it go?

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
J. W. Rolfe said:
Definitely sounds like you've got a great promo running. The best I ever managed was #682, so you're doing awesome. How'd the rest of it go?
Thanks J.W. My last 2 promos were in the hundreds, so this one was pretty successful for me! 17 was the highest ranking it reached and I ended up with 10,400 downloads. There's been a noticeable spike in paid sales yesterday and today - not massive - but decent.

But the best thing about the promo is that it was for book 1 in a series and now I'm seeing a lot of sales for book 2.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I was in a similar situation, reached #12 and pulled the plug on promo. Had 10 sales at com and a few at uk. Got very good reviews, including a 4 star from a vine reviewer. Guess what? It quickly fell into oblivion. lol Looking back, I think I should have let it ride the promo out. :) So yeah, I'd let it ride if I were you.

·
Administrator
10,117 Posts
Don't stop a promo that's going well. It's the total # of downloads that matters, not your rank on the free list when the promo ends. The latter has no relevance to how you do post-promo.

Sent from my LG-VS700 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Becca Mills said:
Don't stop a promo that's going well. It's the total # of downloads that matters, not your rank on the free list when the promo ends. The latter has no relevance to how you do post-promo.

I agree with this! As I understand the pop lists, they look at the last 30 days' sales, so you ought to rack 'em up while you're on a roll. (Unless I'm wrong about how the pop lists work, of course.)

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Becca Mills said:

Thanks for all your advice/info, guys. I did let the promo roll and I'm now having a post-promo bump of about x3. Hope it lasts a few more days at least :)

·
Administrator
10,117 Posts
Shalini Boland said:
Thanks for all your advice/info, guys. I did let the promo roll and I'm now having a post-promo bump of about x3. Hope it lasts a few more days at least :)
Good for you, Shalini! I hope it continues! :)

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Becca Mills said:

Good to know. I'm on the second day of a Select promo. It hasn't been picked up by the big sites, but I've had decent downloads. I was thinking it would be best to let it ride the full five days, which I've never done with a Select promo before.

·
Administrator
10,117 Posts
LKRigel said:
Good to know. I'm on the second day of a Select promo. It hasn't been picked up by the big sites, but I've had decent downloads. I was thinking it would be best to let it ride the full five days, which I've never done with a Select promo before.
FWIW, the advice I've gotten before is to use all five days if you're getting a lot of downloads, as in thousands per day. If not, save some days and try it again later, hoping to get picked up by the big sites and move more. But that advice was given to me before the big sites cut their free listings way back. I'm not sure how that's changed the picture.

If you do extend to the full five days, it can't hurt to drop ENT and POI a line and let them know. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Thanks - I did let them know, but it was probably too-late notice. I just decided to do it on a whim. So far, I've had about 1600 downloads and it's at 157 in the free store. Would be lovely to get into the top 100. I'll let it keep going unless it slows down.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
LK, that's excellent! Contact a few more sites if you can, to keep the promo going. Mine slowed down on day two, but that was probably because most of the sites featured it on day one.

Let us know how you get on!

·
Administrator
10,117 Posts
Shalini Boland said:
Thanks Becca! :) :D

(I'm finding the smile emoticon a bit wimpy, but the grin is wa-a-ay over the top - makes me look like a loon)
Yeah, the ordinary smilie is the only one from the old set that I miss. But hey, we're all a little loony when it comes to our books, right? :D

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
I woke up to an explosion (for me) of downloads - over 950 overnight - and found out that Kiss Me Hello was featured on ENT this morning.

ENT is fantastic - I've had 600 +/- downloads in the last hour.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
LKRigel said:
I woke up to an explosion (for me) of downloads - over 950 overnight - and found out that Kiss Me Hello was featured on ENT this morning.

ENT is fantastic - I've had 600 +/- downloads in the last hour.
Woohoo!! That's fab news!

I love ENT too. They picked me up last week, but I didn't even realise until a kindly Kindleboarder pointed it out ::)

PS Kiss me Hello looks great. I just downloaded it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts