Kindle Forum banner

When you bought your Kindle, what was your previous Kindle experience?

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curious about Kindle knowledge prior to purchase. Please add your vote to the poll and comment here.

L

·
Registered
740 Posts
Yes I was/am.  I was going to buy K1 after a friend kept talking and talking about it but then found out that K2 was coming out so I waited and ordered one last week.  Now I'm just waiting anxiously :)

·
Registered
108 Posts
I hate to admit, but it was Oprah that got to me.  I'd never heard of one, but am a big reader.  We were going on vacation, and after hearing Oprah rave about it, I thought it was the perfect thing to use on vacation.  No more lugging 10 books in my suitcase.  We used the Oprah discount, and got 4 of them.  Myself, Mom, and sisters..  We are all devoted Kindlers now and LOVE them!  So far, I'm the only one who bit the bullet and ordered K2.

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
I had never heard of any e-reader before Kindle.  I was browsing on Amazon for a few months and kept seeing the advertisment.  Ignored it.  One day I decided to klick on it and I was intrigued.  I read a few things on Amazon, and was directed to Kindleboards.  I spent a few days reading posts here and placed my order.  One of the best purchases I have ever made

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Someone I knew had a Kindle and raved about it.  I did some research, but it was a little to much for this quilter, but then when Oprah had the discount and I had some Amazon coupons at the same time, I couldn't resist any longer!

Betsy

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
I'm on Amazon almost daily, and you know you can't open the website without a Kindle staring you in the face.  I read everything, including reviews, and watched demos on youtube. 

$399 was just too much for me to spend.  When it went down to $359, I still wanted but wasn't tempted.  I told my daughter I didn't want to spend more than $200 for it.  Not long after that, Amazon had the $100 off promotion and I couldn't hold out any longer. 

So, it was a long, carefully considered decision, which ended up as an impulse buy as soon as I saw the $100 off.  :D

·
Registered
723 Posts
I first read about it on Amazon . com
Then saw my friends recently. (She that bought me it for Xmas.)

I doubt I would have bought one for myself until it got way south of $300.
(like maybe $250)
Eric

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Took me 3 months till I made up I mind about getting it, at the time kindle was $399.00 .  29 days later its price was dropped to $359.00,. Thankfully I got the $40.00 rebate

·
Registered
544 Posts
Being an avid reader/gadget nut, the Kindle had been on my "most wanted" list for awhile.  I voted "Other" because I arranged a meeting through the "See a Kindle in Your City" thread on Amazon.  I met a local teacher (thank you Molly, if you're on here!) at Starbucks and she demoed hers for me.  It was love at first Kindle!

·
Registered
552 Posts
As a frequent Amazon visitor, I just got plain old curious about it when I constantly would see "want this book on Kindle".  At the time, with a rotator cuff problem and reading a heavy 600 page book, it looked so darn appealing.  So, I started saving.  Then when I saw on Oprah about the discount, I jumped on it.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good comments, everyone, thanks! I added two options, one for Oprah and one for "see a Kindle in your city." You can change your vote if you want.

L

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
I first saw the Kindle on Amazon and could not read enough about it after that.  For 8 months I had to save up my $$ in order to buy one.... and spent that time reading everything I could..... learning everything I could from the boards, so that when MaKK finally arrived the end of October, he was already a familiar friend.

·
Super Moderator
67,251 Posts
I did lots of research. . .wanted it from when I saw in in November of 07 but was not, at that time, prepared to spend the money.  After tax season 08 I ramped up my research and that's about the time "see a kindle" started so I took advantage.  Seeing it in person sold me. . . . I didn't get too much useful info from the Amazon forum. . . .mostly looked at third party reveiws.

Ann

·
Registered
261 Posts
I had heard about them when they first came out, but the frugal cost accountant in me thought it was a too expensive for a 'nice to have', so I really didn't look into them at all.

Then last spring DH had an unexpected 2 week string of freelance gigs during the Stanley Cup Playoffs, and to celebrate he surprised me with one - when it came in the mail I didn't even know it was something for me until I opened it!   :-*

However, I strongly suspect that one of the reasons he got me such an extravagant gift was so that I wouldn't say anything about the GPS he got for himself...  ;)

- you should add a choice to the vote about getting it as a gift!

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I had seen it and not paid it much heed, but one day I got bored and took a look at it. I was hooked. I read everyhing I could find about it, the good, the bad, and the stupidly ignorant. I began hounding my husband. I even made him buy stock in Amazon. It got to a point where everytime I opened my mouth he would jump in with "No, you can't have a Kindle." He gave in and I got a refurbished one. I love it! Still trying to get through all my DTBs, but I have already read more than a dozen on my Kindle in the two months I have had it.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Saw it first on Amazon, read the forum discussions there pre KB. Asked lots of questions which Leslie probably remembers. Took money out of savings and clicked, never looked back. The best gift I have ever given myself by far! ;D

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
Vaguely heard about it, was on amazon and saw the ads so I checked into it. spent a couple weeks debating it with myself then ordered Dec. 14. Got caught up in the delayed shipping, when the K2 was announced, another KindleBoarder sold me their Klassic so they could buy K2. I have been loving it ever since.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I had been reading ebooks for years, on my computer, a Franklin eBookman, 2 Dell Axims and finally an HP iPaq. I just happened to be on Amazon one day looking for DTBs and saw the Kindle. I did look at the Kindle page for about 5 or 10 minutes to check out the specs, saw eInk screen with no backlight and I immediately ordered!!! I was so excited to be able to read ebooks comfortably. I live out in the boonies, the closest store that sells books is an hour away. So ebooks have been my one vice for a long time and the Kindle made reading them pure joy!

1 - 20 of 71 Posts