Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Super Moderator
67,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The "Kindle Celebrity" thread prompts my curiosity.  When you demo your Kindle, what do you show people?  Do you let them touch it?  Do you open books, show whispernet, download a sample, change font?  Just curious.  I've not demo'd mine that often but I'm wondering what everyone thinks is the most important -- or coolest -- thing to show the neophytes.

Just wonderin'

Ann

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
I like to show how easy it is to get a new book through whispernet, always seems to impress.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Strangers haven't asked to "touch" or hold the Kindle except for my one friend. Otherwise, I've only flipped through pages and showed them the home page for selecting a book to read.

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
I'm very picky who I let hold it.  I also like to show the whispernet feature, and ease of ordering.  I show my home pages and the amount of books it will hold.  I try to open a newspaper.  That seems to impress as well. 
I think it depends on the person you're demoing to. 
deb

·
Registered
607 Posts
Well I let them hold it, answer their questions, show them the font size changes, and then show them the few things they might not have thought of (access to the kindle store, free wireless).  Most people seem to assume it needs to be hooked up to a computer like an ipod for everything.  Yesterday at the Container Store I actually bought a book during my first demonstration since I was almost done with the sample chapter and knew I would by buying it. 

The questions I always get asked:

What does it cost?
How many books does it hold?
How many books are available for it?
Does it have sound?
Does it have a light?

Lara Amber

·
Registered
534 Posts
I like to show the home page, show how to look up descriptions of a book from there (one click to the right), select a book and show page turns and font changes.  I usually turn on the TTS, and if they like that feature, change the voice from female to male and vary the speed.  I'll skip that part if they don't seem interested.  If I have time, I'll buy a book and show how quickly it downloads; that is an impressive feature!

Of course, I have to tell them that the Oberon cover is not included in the price of a kindle.  A lot of people are tentative to hold it (especially when they find out the price), but I think feeling how light and thin it is without the cover is impressive, especially when you tell them how many books they are holding in their hands (currently about 150).

I also tell them that they can get magazines and newspapers, but I don't have any yet, so I can't demo them.

I brought it to work the other day and made the mistake of taking it out in the break room during shift change.  I was trying to talk to one coworker, but other people were shouting questions at me!  It was rather overwhelming.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I don't offer to let people hold my Kindle.  I typically show how thin it is, my homepage listing my books, how to order a book thru whispernet, and what a page looks like.  I also like to tell people about the ability to download sample content before purchasing a book. That might be my favorite feature!

I've had people ask me about my DecalGirl skin, too. 

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
I usually just answer people's questions.  At church last week I had two other women in my class asking me about it.  If it's someone I know, I usually offer to let them hold it, and I make sure that they get a good look at the e-ink screen.

·
Registered
21,587 Posts
I too am picky about letting strangers hold or touch my K2.
Most of the time the "demo" is on the Wash DC Metro and I keep it tightly in my hands, thank you.
I show the electronic paper, the variable fonts (they always like that).
Talk about Whispernet and downloading books, daily newspapers.
Talk about the text-to-speech, but usually don't have an environment where I can demo that.
And they really like the 1500 books that it can hold.
And the bookmarking for my place in each book and the ability to add bookmarks that I want.
Oh and notetaking, highlighting.
That about does it for me.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
only family got to hold my kindle when I demoed it. Other than that I keep it within my grasp. answer the usual questions. Make mention of the other brands available and how they differ. I usually refer the kindleboards if they seem really interested.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
LaraAmber said:
What does it cost?
How many books does it hold?
How many books are available for it?
Does it have sound?
Does it have a light?
My answers, he he:
Enough that I'll be real careful not to lose or break it.
All of them
All of them (*ahem* one way or another)
Does your [DT]book?
Does your [DT]book?

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
I show the homepage, page turning inside a sample, and sometimes I'll order a sample for them. I only let them hold it if they ask. I also show them how to adjust font size.

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
The only ones who have seen mine are the Spouse Thingy and the Boy. If it happens and someone asks about it, I'll let them hold it, download a sample, whatever they want as long as they don't actually BUY a book on it. Sure, it's a risk; they might drop it, break it, whatever...but it's a thing, and things can be replaced.

I'm one of those oddities that lets people sit on my motorcycle, too... If it drops, it drops.

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
I don't really like anyone to handle mine, but I usually go to the Home page and open up the Kindle manual. I then show them how to navigate in the book, go back to the home screen and how to buy a book. I try to give them a feel for it, but I try to make it brief. I like to read it and usually I'm in the middle of a book and want to get back to it.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I let people hold mine, but only for a second. And it makes me very nervous. I show them the different fonts (I know a lot of people with bad eyesight, including myself) and I usually show them the TTS.  ;D I've sold at least two (for sure) and maybe five total.  :eek: I still say I should get a gift card out of this.  ;D

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Ann in Arlington said:
The "Kindle Celebrity" thread prompts my curiosity. When you demo your Kindle, what do you show people? Do you let them touch it? Do you open books, show whispernet, download a sample, change font? Just curious. I've not demo'd mine that often but I'm wondering what everyone thinks is the most important -- or coolest -- thing to show the neophytes.

Just wonderin'

Ann
I very carefully let them hold it naked to feel the weight of it (unless they're eating a jelly doughnut or something). I show them how to turn pages, set a bookmark, change font sizes, and the lookup and search features.

I ask them to name a favorite book and turn on the Whispernet and show them how a sample of that book is downloaded in seconds. They are always amazed.

I get so enthusiastic, I have to make sure I don't start breathing heavily and talking too fast. Don't want to scare them off by sounding like a carnival barker. (Step right up children, in the center ring we have the Amazing Kindle...") ;D I've 'sold' several. I wish Amazon would give us a kick-back. ;)

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
marianner said:
I usually just answer people's questions. At church last week I had two other women in my class asking me about it. If it's someone I know, I usually offer to let them hold it, and I make sure that they get a good look at the e-ink screen.
Oh, OK. You were in a meeting at church. At first I had this flash of you sneaking a read during the sermon with your Kindle disguised as a prayer book in a Black Celtic Cross Oberon cover. Just kidding. Don't mind me. :D

·
Super Moderator
67,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I was at choir practice the other night and had my Kindle out to read when the director was working with another section.  One of our guitar players just picked it up without really asking.  We had been talking about it, but still.  I had to take a couple of deep breaths. . .I know he didn't have any nefarious intent. . .he's a guitar player and totally understands the whole 'valuable item, treat with care' thing.  He'd actually seen it before but is apparently getting more interested in it.  Plus he likes my rosewood skin which is almost the exact color of the body of his guitar.  I've told him to ask the pastor if he'd like to see the K2.

Ann

1 - 20 of 24 Posts