Kindle Forum banner

When you first open a book on your Kindle, that you haven't read before, where do you want it to sta

• The Cover

Votes: 78 75.7%
  • Page one of the story (includes prologue if there is one, because really, that IS part of the story,

Votes: 19 18.4%
  • Somewhere else (this could be maps, quotes, character lists, anything not covered by Option 1 or 2)

Votes: 5 4.9%
  • Don't care

Votes: 1 1.0%
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Premium Member
63,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So there's a discussion in the Writers' Café about this and how to change where it opens and I thought it would be an interesting poll for our members.

Where do you want a book to open?

I want it to open at the story. As long as there is a "go to cover" option in the menu, I'm good. I've already looked at the cover when I bought it. And still can if I do "View by covers" which I don't. So obviously, the covers aren't really that important to me once I've bought the book. (Sorry, authors.)

I've edited the poll to clarify that in the poll, I'd like people to answer their preference, not necessarily what you do now, but what you'd like to do. Then, of course, in your post, you can say how you achieve that now....

So, if you'd like to open at the cover, for the cover's sake, that's #1. If you only go to the cover now because you are afraid you'll miss something, then it's probably #2 or #3 for you.

Betsy

·
Registered
924 Posts
I like starting with the cover so that I know I'm not missing a prologue.  A few times I've backed up a few pages from where the book initially opened and found one that I otherwise would have missed.

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
Trophywife007 said:
I like starting with the cover so that I know I'm not missing a prologue. A few times I've backed up a few pages from where the book initially opened and found one that I otherwise would have missed.
This. It's just a couple of clicks or swipes to go either way, I know, but I prefer to start at the cover so I do not miss a prolog.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
I vote for the cover, too. I've always been interested in the front matter, whether paperback or Kindle, since I began reading books and that was many, many moons ago. I won't necessarily read all of the front matter, but I'll at least skim it before reading the book proper.

·
Premium Member
63,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For those of you who say you want the cover because you don't want to miss the prologue, if books were sure to open to the prologue if there is one, would you still want to see the cover first?

My intent was that if you want to see the text TO INCLUDE the prologue if one exists, you would pick the "Page one of the story (includes prologue if there is one)" answer. 

If, regardless of whether there is a prologue or not, you would want to see the cover, as some have indicated in other threads, you would pick the cover answer.

It seems to me that it's a formatting issue if there's a prolog but the book doesn't open to it; that's where the book starts and the author should set that as the opening of the book.

In other words, in a perfect world, what do you prefer to see when you first open the book, the cover or the story, however it might start?

Sorry for any confusion....

Betsy

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
I don't always read a book right away and by the time I get around to it, I forget what the cover is like. My habit with paperbacks is to look at the cover again, read the back blurb to remind myself of the storyline and maybe read that little excerpt in the front. Then I'll read the book. I'd like to do that again, especially have the blurb available.

·
Premium Member
63,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wish I could press and hold on a book in my list and see the blurb and the cover.  But then when I go into the book, it would be right to the book.

On the PW, the Touch and the Fires, one can see the covers and browse by them; same with the apps.  So I think seeing the cover won't be a big issue in the future.  I do wish the blurb were downloaded with the book.

Betsy

·
Registered
20,435 Posts
I voted for first page of the story.  I have my PW on cover view on the homepage, so I can see covers there.  And if I want to see a cover when in the book, that's usually a go to option.  

·
Registered
267 Posts
This is one of the things that frustrates me. It seems like every time I open a new book I always have to go to the menu and either go to the cover or location 1. I like to see when the book was written and check out the table of contents first. There are things you miss sometimes, so I definitely want it to open to the cover.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I don't need to see the cover, but I always page backwards and often whould have missed something if I hadn't. It could be a prologue, but sometimes it's a quote, song or poem (what would those be called?), a relevant dedication, or an introduction, or something else that I'd be interested in. In the book I'm reading now, it was several maps of Paris, the setting for the story, with key locations noted. (Not that I could read the maps on my K3, but that's another topic!)

I'm not sure there's a good way around this. It's not easy to navigate on my K3, so I just wind up hitting the Previous Page button enough times to see if I missed anything, then Next Page to get back to the beginning, for every book. I've been hoping that it's less effort with the touch-screen Kindles to jump around in the table of contents and then get back to the beginning. If so, then my problem is solved and I'm less concerned with where the book opens.

·
Premium Member
63,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
GBear said:
I don't need to see the cover, but I always page backwards and often whould have missed something if I hadn't. It could be a prologue, but sometimes it's a quote, song or poem (what would those be called?), a relevant dedication, or an introduction, or something else that I'd be interested in. In the book I'm reading now, it was several maps of Paris, the setting for the story, with key locations noted. (Not that I could read the maps on my K3, but that's another topic!)

I'm not sure there's a good way around this. It's not easy to navigate on my K3, so I just wind up hitting the Previous Page button enough times to see if I missed anything, then Next Page to get back to the beginning, for every book. I've been hoping that it's less effort with the touch-screen Kindles to jump around in the table of contents and then get back to the beginning. If so, then my problem is solved and I'm less concerned with where the book opens.
On my basic Kindle, if I want to do this, I would hit the menu button, then use the five way controller to scroll down to "Go To" and then use it to select "Cover." Of course, in the book I tried it in, there would be 8 page turns to get back to where I actually want to be, the start of the book

On the K3, I would think it would be similar.

Betsy

·
Registered
5,749 Posts
Gertie Kindle 'a/k/a Margaret Lake' said:
I don't always read a book right away and by the time I get around to it, I forget what the cover is like. My habit with paperbacks is to look at the cover again, read the back blurb to remind myself of the storyline and maybe read that little excerpt in the front. Then I'll read the book. I'd like to do that again, especially have the blurb available.
THIS. That's completely my process when deciding on what book to read. I have more than 300 unread books on my Kindle at the moment, most of which I can't recall what it's about simply from a random text entry on the library. My Kindle for PC shows the covers in the list, but if there's a way to do that with the Kindle device, I sure haven't figured it out. So I'm left picking books at random and then having to page back to get to the cover (and ideally a blurb, as well) to see if it can trigger a recollection as to what it's about before I decide to read it.

·
Registered
924 Posts
The type of Kindle one has could affect one's answer.  If someone browses through cover pictures to choose the book (like apparently you can do on the Fire, PW, etc.) then you may not necessarily need to start with the cover when you first open it.  On my K3 and DX I only see titles so I'd like seeing the cover when I start a book.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I for the 'Somewhere else' option. 

I would like to start with the dedication page because that typically precedes any maps (Fantasy books) and any prologue.  I like to read the dedications to see who the author included.

·
Registered
12,257 Posts
I want it to open at the cover. Always have. I have been doing the "go to cover" since my K1.

I have a PW now and I still do it. The cover view on the PW doesn't help me much with that. the pictures are small. I want to open at the cover so I am getting in the mood of the book. Most of the time I read long after I bought the book. The cover just sets it for me. I remember when I bought the book, or why. Then I can page through like a paper book until the story starts.

I wish there was a setting one could chose where to open the books. That way everyone would be happy.

Of course I get really mad when there is no cover. I remember that too. But not in a good way. I feel ripped off if the cover is missing. Would be like buying a book at B&N and at the checkout they rip the cover off before they put it in the bag.

So yeah, cover.  ;D

·
Premium Member
63,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Atunah said:
I wish there was a setting one could chose where to open the books. That way everyone would be happy.
I agree.

Betsy

·
Registered
20,435 Posts
i don't want to change my vote, but i just had a thought (yeah, yeah, i know, it's rare)...

table of contents..... especially in an anthology. 

1 - 20 of 87 Posts