Kindle Forum banner

When you first open a book on your Kindle, that you haven't read before, where do you want it to sta

• The Cover

Votes: 78 75.7%
  • Page one of the story (includes prologue if there is one, because really, that IS part of the story,

Votes: 19 18.4%
  • Somewhere else (this could be maps, quotes, character lists, anything not covered by Option 1 or 2)

Votes: 5 4.9%
  • Don't care

Votes: 1 1.0%
21 - 40 of 87 Posts

·
Premium Member
63,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
scarlet said:
i don't want to change my vote, but i just had a thought (yeah, yeah, i know, it's rare)...

table of contents..... especially in an anthology.
Or nonfiction....

·
Registered
5,749 Posts
Atunah said:
I wish there was a setting one could chose where to open the books. That way everyone would be happy.
Agreed. Because as you can see from the poll, there's no consensus on this. We all have our own thoughts on what's best and nobody is going to be able to convince us otherwise.

I mean, if you can choose your own font and text size, why shouldn't you be able to choose where the book opens?

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I vote for the cover. For one thing, I enjoy seeing covers, and for another I don't always read a book as soon as it is downloaded. It might be days, weeks or even months before I get to any particular book and the cover is a nice reminder of what the book is and why I bought it in the first place.  :)

·
Registered
5,509 Posts
I always view the book cover and quickly skim through any foreword material before starting to read, but I'm fine with the e-book opening at the beginning of the story (which is the way Amazon wants publishers to format). If the e-book is properly formatted, it takes only a few presses to navigate.

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
How does Amazon know where to start the book? As an author, if I put the blurb in the front of the book, how will Amazon know to include that as the start of the book?

Betsy, I don't mean to take a Cafe discussion into the wrong place, but if readers want the blurb, authors should know about it.

·
Premium Member
63,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Gertie Kindle 'a/k/a Margaret Lake' said:
How does Amazon know where to start the book? As an author, if I put the blurb in the front of the book, how will Amazon know to include that as the start of the book?

Betsy, I don't mean to take a Cafe discussion into the wrong place, but if readers want the blurb, authors should know about it.
That discussion is already taking place there.

·
Registered
12,257 Posts
Amanda Brice said:
Agreed. Because as you can see from the poll, there's no consensus on this. We all have our own thoughts on what's best and nobody is going to be able to convince us otherwise.

I mean, if you can choose your own font and text size, why shouldn't you be able to choose where the book opens?
Agreed.

Or we could do it this way. For 5 years now the books opened at the 1st chapter. Its my turn now. For the next 5 years, it should open at the cover. ;D

·
Premium Member
63,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I came back to add the link, Gertie, but you're too quick for me!  The link is in my prior post now.

Betsy

·
Registered
567 Posts
I prefer a book opening at the cover. I love covers and am annoyed I have to click Go To every time. I'm also new to eReading and like the process to resemble reading a physical book as much as possible, and that includes thumbing through the front matter as I would a hard copy.

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
cvwriter said:
I prefer a book opening at the cover. I love covers and am annoyed I have to click Go To every time. I'm also new to eReading and like the process to resemble reading a physical book as much as possible, and that includes thumbing through the front matter as I would a hard copy.
I've had my K1 for 4.5 years and I still want to go through the front matter. I've always read the dedications, although I don't read the reviews. I've been reading for (hem-hem) years and it's too late to change my reading habits.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I also want to begin at the cover. I don't care about seeing the cover itself per se, but I don't like the feeling that I may be missing something when I start with whatever is coded as "The Beginning." I would rather page through material I don't need to read than miss something like a dedication, a quotation, a map, an introduction, or a prologue. The fact is that I never trust someone else to decide what is okay for me to skip. I read paper books this way and I don't feel the need to change because now I read ebooks.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I always zoom back to the cover and start from there. That replicates the 'real book' experience--you see the cover, you flip through the front matter, either reading it or not, as you choose, but in any case becoming aware that it exists, and then starting the book.

And, then there's the practical issue of risking missing important material, such as a prologue. I think it's unrealistic to specify in the poll that the contents of the book will start with the prologue. That's assuming a perfect world, and as we all know, the world isn't perfect.

(Okay, here's an analogy. Let's have a poll on whether we want to lock the front door of our house at night. And, as an afterthought, let's add that for the purposes of the poll, we're going to assume that there are no burglars, rapists, or murderers in our town, and never will be. Whatever the purposes of the poll, it's not going to illuminate the question of whether or not people want to lock their doors.)

·
Registered
886 Posts
I like to flip to the front cover too. I read on a tablet though, so the covers are full color and very pretty. I suppose that might make a difference between b&w readers and tablet readers.

And I do read the blurb/story summary if there is one too (I love it when there is one!), because I'm almost never able to read a book right after I purchase it, and I like to remind myself of what the story was about. And I also like to glance at the TOC so I can get an idea of what the story structure will be, like how many chapters or sections.

I like dedications and epigraphs too. Then I dive in! ;D

So yes, in general, I am a fan of reading the frontmatter... pretty much all of it! :D

·
Registered
993 Posts
I'd prefer for the book to start at the cover. Since I read primarily fantasy, there is usually a map at the front of the book and I want to have a look at it before reading. There is also usually an "Other Books By..." page I want to look at, and if there's a foreword I'll read that too. And if I don't feel like reading it, it's not THAT strenuous to click a few extra times to get to Chapter 1.

·
Premium Member
63,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
ElisaBlaisdell said:
(Okay, here's an analogy. Let's have a poll on whether we want to lock the front door of our house at night. And, as an afterthought, let's add that for the purposes of the poll, we're going to assume that there are no burglars, rapists, or murderers in our town, and never will be. Whatever the purposes of the poll, it's not going to illuminate the question of whether or not people want to lock their doors.)
Seriously? ::) ::) Geeze louise.

I just want to know if people want to see the cover first. Or something else.

Betsy

·
Registered
9,469 Posts
I answered the cover as well, but I would be most happy if the cover of whatever I am currently reading were the sleep screen.  When I used to shop for books and buy dozens at a time, the cover was most often what I remembered to let me know whether it was already in a stack at home waiting to be read.

Now I don't remember the name of the book I am reading or have just finished, who the author is, etc.  I know we can use the menu to bring up at least the book name, but since the K1, it doesn't show the author.  Every time you pick up a paper book, you have those reminders.  It is, for me, my only complaint about digital reading.

·
Premium Member
63,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
ElisaBlaisdell said:
I knew as I wrote it that it was an overdramatic analogy. Sorry about that.
Just a bit. ;)

Betsy

21 - 40 of 87 Posts