Kindle Forum banner

When you first open a book on your Kindle, that you haven't read before, where do you want it to sta

• The Cover

Votes: 78 75.7%
  • Page one of the story (includes prologue if there is one, because really, that IS part of the story,

Votes: 19 18.4%
  • Somewhere else (this could be maps, quotes, character lists, anything not covered by Option 1 or 2)

Votes: 5 4.9%
  • Don't care

Votes: 1 1.0%
41 - 60 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
924 Posts
crebel said:
I answered the cover as well, but I would be most happy if the cover of whatever I am currently reading were the sleep screen.
There's where I draw the line. I love, love, love having my custom screensavers.

·
Registered
9,474 Posts
Trophywife007 said:
There's where I draw the line. I love, love, love having my custom screensavers.
I haven't done custom screensavers since the K1, but they are wonderful! Still, I would give them up for the option of book cover sleep screens.

That's the real wish, more customizable options for any of the Kindles...

·
Registered
575 Posts
My vote is for the cover. B/W or color I love seeing the cover as much as possible for a book. The one thing I miss about reading paper books.

·
Registered
649 Posts
ElisaBlaisdell said:
I always zoom back to the cover and start from there. That replicates the 'real book' experience--you see the cover, you flip through the front matter, either reading it or not, as you choose, but in any case becoming aware that it exists, and then starting the book.

And, then there's the practical issue of risking missing important material, such as a prologue. I think it's unrealistic to specify in the poll that the contents of the book will start with the prologue. That's assuming a perfect world, and as we all know, the world isn't perfect.
Just what I was going to say! The experience starts with looking at the cover and opening the new book. I hate to start a new book and see that I am already at 3%.

I would also like to see the "back" because sometimes I have read an entire book, trying to visualize the layout of its world, only to find at the end that they had a map there. It was probably inside back cover in the print version. Not a good way to format an ebook. It would be best to have that kind of thing appear right after the cover.

crebel said:
I answered the cover as well, but I would be most happy if the cover of whatever I am currently reading were the sleep screen.
That's a great idea! I would love that!

·
Premium Member
63,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
It's interesting to me how many people have said they want to replicate the experience of reading a paper book when reading on their Kindles (as far as the cover, back blurb, etc).  It's such a different experience for me that I don't really compare them.  But on the other hand, even in paper, I never spent that much time lingering over the cover or the front matter.  I guess, different strokes.

Betsy

·
Registered
2 Posts
I prefer to open to the cover and start at the very beginning; you should always start a great story at the very beginning. But that's just me.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Always the cover. I like to see the cover, then read or (TTS) listen to anything prior to the start of the story. I also feel cheated when there is no cover. Some books won't let you "go to" the cover, so I feel that I am waisting time having to click, click, tap, tap to go back to the cover. Even with samples, I like to go to the cover.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
The cover.  I always want to start something at the very beginning.  won't watch a tv show if I don't get it from the beginning, either!!

·
Registered
3,016 Posts
I go to the cover, then forward to the first page where I can place a note and enter the price and whether the book is lendable or not lendable.  When I finish reading the book I go back to the note and enter the date finished.

I like seeing the cover first.  I buy so many books it may be a long long time before I read some of them.

I also love the idea of being able to tap on the cover and see the blurb without having to download the book.  Double tap to d/l.  Sometimes I have up to 10 books and want to decide which to read first but really didn't have to download them all.  But that's not a big deal, I suppose.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Betsy the Quilter said:
It's interesting to me how many people have said they want to replicate the experience of reading a paper book when reading on their Kindles (as far as the cover, back blurb, etc). It's such a different experience for me that I don't really compare them. But on the other hand, even in paper, I never spent that much time lingering over the cover or the front matter. I guess, different strokes.

Betsy
It's not that I necessarily want to spend a lot of time 'lingering over the cover or the front matter.' I just want to know what's there, in case there's something interesting or important.

I'll admit, I love it when the table of contents of a novel is tucked at the very back of the book. Scanning through page after page of Chapter 11, Chapter 12, doesn't do anything for me.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Most of the time you get attracted to a book by the cover.  It is the doorway into the book.  So even without the prolouge it is the cover for me.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I've had a K3 for years.  This Christmas I asked my husband for a Nook (the one with the glow light) so that I could check my formatting there firsthand--and read without a separate light)  I was kind of astonished to find that there were several things I actually liked better about the Nook, once I had one.

One of those things?  When I open new book, it goes to the cover.  I <3 that more than I ever knew I would.

·
Premium Member
63,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
I'm finding this all really interesting.  I've had a Kindle since October 2008, and I've never once missed seeing the cover of a book....not even the first time I used it.  I must be really weird....  :D

But then, I've never considered the cover part of the reading experience. Even with paper books. The cover, to me, was someone else's interpretation of the book.  I never much cared about someone else's interpretation--that had nothing to do with me.  For me, the cover, only was about being able to pick it out on a shelf so I could read.  Kind of like a distinctive hat on a friend.  To my friend, the hat might be a statement of their personality; to me, it's just a way to pick them out in a crowd. :)

Betsy

·
Premium Member
63,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
storylover said:
I prefer to open to the cover and start at the very beginning; you should always start a great story at the very beginning. But that's just me.
Well, of course, I prefer to start the book at the beginning, great story or so-so story. But what constitutes the beginning? The copyright page and the table of contents? Or, the first line of the story?

It does appear that for most here, the cover constitutes that beginning, which I find really interesting.

Betsy

·
Registered
2 Posts
For me, the cover does constitute the beginning. The cover (usually) sets the stage and our expectations of the book. So much is/can be conveyed with the cover.

·
Super Moderator
67,507 Posts
I want to start at the very beginning.  It's a very good place to start. ::)

So, I vote Cover.  I like to page through the front matter and see if there's anything interesting -- like a list of other books in the series or something useful like that.

As it is, mostly they open to the beginning of the story and I ALWAYS use GoTo Cover -- just to make sure I don't miss anything. :)

·
Premium Member
63,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Ann in Arlington said:
I want to start at the very beginning. It's a very good place to start. ::)
I think we are all agreed on that; it's just what constitutes the beginning that differ amongst us. Oh, if only Amazon would let us have choices...

like a list of other books in the series or something useful like that.
I like to look that up afterwards...and I usually do it outside of the book, because if the book is early in a series and hasn't been recently updated, it's unlikely to have the full list.

Betsy

·
Super Moderator
67,507 Posts
Well, I certainly understand others' points of view. As others have mentioned, 'beginning' is often defined as the first chapter. If there was a prologue or 'what has gone before' section, you won't see that unless you go back. And a lot of the sorts of books I read have that. Which is why I routinely 'Go To Cover' just to make sure I don't miss it. :-\

I admit that, if I could count on prologues being included, that'd probably be my choice in the poll. But, as it is I can't.

Now, I don't fault Amazon for that -- it's my understanding that the publishers specify where the book's 'beginning' is for kindle purposes. I think they're foolish to specify the first chapter if there's a prologue. But because they so often do, I can't be sure that there isn't one. I suppose if I was really worried about it I could keep track of which publishers include the prologue as 'beginning' and which don't, but that' seems like a whole lot more work than just habitually going back to the cover whenever I start a book. ::)

41 - 60 of 87 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.