Kindle Forum banner

When you first open a book on your Kindle, that you haven't read before, where do you want it to sta

• The Cover

Votes: 78 75.7%
  • Page one of the story (includes prologue if there is one, because really, that IS part of the story,

Votes: 19 18.4%
  • Somewhere else (this could be maps, quotes, character lists, anything not covered by Option 1 or 2)

Votes: 5 4.9%
  • Don't care

Votes: 1 1.0%
61 - 80 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
As I mentioned in another thread, I'm an "old soul" who likes a physical book in my hands.  However, if I were to read one on a Kindle (which I'm
considering buying for my wife), I would say that I would like it to open up at the cover to give me more of a "real life" feel of a book in my hands.

·
Premium Member
63,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Ann in Arlington said:
Well, I certainly understand others' points of view.
Oh, I do too.

I admit that, if I could count on prologues being included, that'd probably be my choice in the poll.
Well, for the purposes of my poll, as defined, then, you should probably have picked that. My intent was to find out who wants to see the cover for the cover's sake. Not for the sake of seeing other stuff. Just sayin'.

Betsy

·
Registered
20,439 Posts
I've come to a conclusion.  I don't care where a book opens to, but i wish all all books would open to the same place!

·
Premium Member
63,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
telracs said:
I've come to a conclusion. I don't care where a book opens to, but i wish all all books would open to the same place!
Wouldn't that only be possible if they were all the same book?
;D

I wish Amazon would allow us to determine it, but I do think that would be complicated to implement.

Betsy

·
Registered
20,439 Posts
Betsy the Quilter said:
Wouldn't that only be possible if they were all the same book?
;D

I wish Amazon would allow us to determine it, but I do think that would be complicated to implement.

Betsy
okay, rephrase.... i would be happy if every book would open to location 0.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Atunah said:
I want to open at the cover so I am getting in the mood of the book. Most of the time I read long after I bought the book. The cover just sets it for me. I remember when I bought the book, or why. Then I can page through like a paper book until the story starts.
This pretty much sums up my opinion.

I'm very big on covers...they are sometimes the deciding factor in whether or not I purchase a book. Looking at the cover gets me in the mood and excited all over again.

I also like how purty they look on my screen ;D

And I always browse the TOC first. For a fiction book I suppose that's not so beneficial. However, if it's nonfiction, it's a glimpse at about what's in store. Again, it's all about the anticipation.

·
Registered
113 Posts
ireadbooks said:
This pretty much sums up my opinion.

I'm very big on covers...they are sometimes the deciding factor in whether or not I purchase a book. Looking at the cover gets me in the mood and excited all over again.

I also like how purty they look on my screen ;D

And I always browse the TOC first. For a fiction book I suppose that's not so beneficial. However, if it's nonfiction, it's a glimpse at about what's in store. Again, it's all about the anticipation.
Me too.... The only thing I don't like about the kindle is that the book doesn't start with a cover... I hate missing out on good cover art.

·
Registered
649 Posts
[soapbox]

I just opened a new book today. It started on the prologue. I hit Go To, and there was no Go to Cover option available. :mad: I started paging back. By starting with the prologue they skipped (going backwards) a quotation by Nietzsche, the book's title page, list of other books by the author, an About the Author section, copyright page, and finally the cover.

AFTER paging back through all this to the cover, only then did Cover and Front Matter appear on the Go To menu. That's crazy. Besides the inadequate book organization tools (my pet peeve), book navigation really needs improvement, regardless of which page the book first opens to. I have sent feedback to amazon about both those topics.

I love the idea of showing the current book's cover as the screen saver and would happily pay to remove ads if that option was available. We should start a petition or something for that.

[/soapbox]

·
Super Moderator
67,508 Posts
Sometimes, especially if there are a fair number of chapters, you have to scroll up to find the Cover.  You'll see a sort of scroll bar at the right of the menu when you tap 'Go To' but touch in the actual list to scroll.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
I had to vote for Somewhere Else because I'd like them all to open to a story summary - the kind of thing you see on the back cover or flyleaf of a paper book. It's not important for a book I just bought, since I've just been on Amazon and read the summary and that's why I bought it. For a book I don't get to right away or for looking for something for rereading - I'd like that. If nothing else, I'd like to be able to Go To a summary as a distinct thing like the cover.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Ann in Arlington said:
Sometimes, especially if there are a fair number of chapters, you have to scroll up to find the Cover. You'll see a sort of scroll bar at the right of the menu when you tap 'Go To' but touch in the actual list to scroll.
Yes, I did scroll, but it wasn't there-- although I sometimes have trouble with the PW touch screen so I won't swear with 100% certainty.

·
Super Moderator
67,508 Posts
I'd guess it IS there.  Swipe down for the scroll bar to move up. . . 'Cover' is the very first option in every book I've ever opened on the PW.

·
Premium Member
63,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
ellenoc said:
I had to vote for Somewhere Else because I'd like them all to open to a story summary - the kind of thing you see on the back cover or flyleaf of a paper book. It's not important for a book I just bought, since I've just been on Amazon and read the summary and that's why I bought it. For a book I don't get to right away or for looking for something for rereading - I'd like that. If nothing else, I'd like to be able to Go To a summary as a distinct thing like the cover.
I'd be OK with this, too...if it's been awhile since I bought a book, seeing the cover doesn't really tell me very much, other than MAYBE genre, though I don't always make those connections.

Betsy

·
6,006 Posts
I voted for 'somewhere else'.

I don't have any particular need to see the cover again, but when reading paper books I always used to read all the front stuff - the foreword or introduction if there was one, dedication, maybe a family tree of the characters in the story etc. and I confess I've become lazy about reading all that now I'm using a Kindle, since virtually all books open on the first page of the story.

I'm surprised that when authors/publishers have gone to the trouble of providing all that stuff, that they don't encourage readers to look at it by having the book open at the appropriate place.

·
Super Moderator
67,508 Posts
Linjeakel said:
I'm surprised that when authors/publishers have gone to the trouble of providing all that stuff, that they don't encourage readers to look at it by having the book open at the appropriate place.
Yes!

I can even understand not opening to the copyright info and all that. But if, for example, there's a prologue, or 'dramatis personae', why in the world would they specify the 'beginning' as the chapter after that? Makes no sense to me. . .but I'm guessing it's growing pains and just a matter of they've used amazon's suggestions without really analysing if somewhere else would be better for this book. I expect it will get better as time goes on and they figure these things out.

As it is, since I never know if there's something interesting before the 1st chapter, I'd prefer it to open at the cover: that way I'm sure I don't miss anything. Since it doesn't, I always go there anyway just to be sure. :)

·
Premium Member
63,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
I'm pleased that so many members have been interested in this poll, and I'm sure it's of interest to our author members to see the results. (And, Amazon, are you watching? :D)

I've edited the poll to clarify that in the poll, I'd like people to answer their preference, not necessarily what you do now, but what you'd like to do. Then, of course, in your post, you can say how you achieve that now....

So, if you'd like to open at the cover, for the cover's sake, that's #1. If you only go to the cover now because you are afraid you'll miss something, then it's probably #2 or #3 for you.

Betsy

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
The cover, definitely. I must be part of the move visual  "you judge a book by its ... " group. Most of us have spent the majority of our reading life with "real" books where the cover is right there, before you ever get to page one.

My one gripe with covers (and this is off topic, sorry Betsy) is when the people pictured there look very different from the way they're described in the novel.

·
Premium Member
63,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
Harriet Schultz said:
The cover, definitely. I must be part of the move visual "you judge a book by its ... " group. Most of us have spent the majority of our reading life with "real" books where the cover is right there, before you ever get to page one.

My one gripe with covers (and this is off topic, sorry Betsy) is when the people pictured there look very different from the way they're described in the novel.
No, that's fine...the nice thing with a poll is that you can do the poll results (you did vote in the poll itself, right?) and then make comments......

Betsy

61 - 80 of 87 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.