Kindle Forum banner

When you first open a book on your Kindle, that you haven't read before, where do you want it to sta

• The Cover

Votes: 78 75.7%
  • Page one of the story (includes prologue if there is one, because really, that IS part of the story,

Votes: 19 18.4%
  • Somewhere else (this could be maps, quotes, character lists, anything not covered by Option 1 or 2)

Votes: 5 4.9%
  • Don't care

Votes: 1 1.0%
81 - 87 of 87 Posts

·
Super Moderator
67,480 Posts
Well. . . .given the clarification of the intent of the question. . . . .

I'm now torn between 2 and 3.

I don't need to see the cover just to see the cover.

BUT, I also don't want to miss anything. I definitely want to begin at the beginning of the important stuff. So, yes, I'd want it to start at the prologue if there is one. OR, if there are character lists or maps at the beginning, I'd want it to start there. If there's a relevant quote from Shakespeare or whomever, I don't want it to start after that -- the author picked the quote for a reason and I want to see it before I start reading the book.

I guess where I'd want it to start, if I could make it the same for every book I ever bought, is immediately after the title page. So I guess I could change my vote to #3.

Or, arguably, I'd probably still go to the Cover, just because I want to make sure that my idea of 'the beginning of the important stuff' is the same as theirs. :) See, that's the thing: I can't see there ever being a setting on Kindle that lets a user specify a particular point to start. Or if there was, I don't see it being that 'fine-tunable'. Not every book has maps, or character lists, or quotations, or prologues. So I'm sort of assuming that the option I really want would never be available, really, so 'cover' it is.

But if I was Bill Murray (you know, a 'god', but not 'the God') I'd say 'the beginning of what I think is the important stuff.'

That said, I don't mind checking out the cover. Though, somewhat off topic, I'll note that some ebooks don't seem to actually have 'real' covers, they're more generic. That does, I expect, affect my reading -- gee, they didn't even bother to make a cover image that reflects the story; wonder how much work they went into to get the story right. I probably read such books a bit more critically. :-\ And if it's by a major publisher and I've paid a bit of a premium for that, I do feel a bit ripped off.

·
Registered
787 Posts
In a perfect world, where I could have exactly what I wanted, I'd have the book open to the inside front cover--the blurb. I've already clicked on the cover to open the book, and now I'd like to glance at the blurb, and remind myself of what book this actually is. Of course, there's no guarantee that there will be a blurb in the e-book.

·
Registered
649 Posts
OK, so combining everyone's comments, a good overall compromise might be:

A book first opens to the page right after the cover which contains the blurb and a link to jump to the first page.

That way, on opening the book, you see its description so you can remember what it's about. Then you have the choice of: back up one page to see the cover, jump to the first page, or read through the front matter.  And if you opt out of ads, you should be able to pick your preference of book cover or pictures for the screen saver.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
I currently read on my Kindle Fire HD.  When I open a book for the very first time I want to see the cover first, then proceed as if i were reading a real book. 

The covers look absolutely amazing on the Fire HD. :)

·
Registered
84 Posts
I've never understood why it automatically goes to the first page of the story, that isn't the way books are read. 

I like to see the cover first, I have books I haven't read yet, from over a year ago, the cover reminds me why I picked those books.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I don't have OCD, but I must always start with the cover if I'm opening the book for the first time. Just so that I can page through the book and see the preface, table of contents, etc, if they exist. This helps me to orientate myself better in both the physical and mental sense!

·
Registered
795 Posts
The cover, definitely. For all the reasons people have already pointed out. But aside from that, I also want to see the date the book was first published, so I can get some feel for the time period it was written in.

81 - 87 of 87 Posts