1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What happens when you gift a kindle e-book:
a) you get charged for it no matter what
OR
b) you only get charged if the recipient "accepts" it?

Newbie question, apologies if already addressed earlier! ;)

·
Premium Member
63,460 Posts
cidneyswanson said:
What happens when you gift a kindle e-book:
a) you get charged for it no matter what
OR
b) you only get charged if the recipient "accepts" it?

Newbie question, apologies if already addressed earlier! ;)
It's a purchase; you get charged as soon as you hit "buy," same with a gift card. My sister-in-law gave me a book; (I got the email and accidentally deleted it...). However, you can resend the gift. You can find it under your "digital orders."

Betsy

·
Registered
513 Posts
I was wondering about that, too!  :p

Also, do you get your royalty back?  Or no?  (Not sure how this works..)

Thanks for asking the question, Cidney!

·
Premium Member
63,460 Posts
The gift is a purchase; it's charged as soon as you click submit in the cart, just as a gift card would be.  Gift cards are nonrefundable.  However, according to Amazon, the gift book can be exchanged for a gift card to be used at Amazon.  In that case, I would assume the book would be considered "returned" and the same thing that happens to the royalty when a book is returned would happen.

Betsy

·
Registered
9,688 Posts
You are charged immediately.

However, a sale doesn't take place until the goods are delivered. So you won't see the sale on KDP, nor will you get a royalty until the sale is completed.

In the extreme case, say a gift is never redeemed. Then 1) Amazon keeps all the money, 2) you get no unit sales credit, and 3) you get no royalty. This is not unique to Amazon. It's how gift cards work in general. Subsequent accounting treatment is too tedious to discuss.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts