Kindle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I suppose this isn't really a big problem, but it's been bothering me ever since I got my Kindle 2. With books that I download from Amazon or from another site which are already in the correct format, I am able to highlight the title on the home screen and flick my navigation to the right to get this page:

However, the files which I have converted to .mobi on my own do not allow me to access this page. I've been using the mobi2mobi GUI to convert files from pdf to .mobi, is the problem with how I am converting them?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Mandie, I get this page for books I converted from PDF.  Are you sure that the titles you are looking at are readable on your Kindle?  I thought the mobi2mobi was just for changing the metadata on existing mobi files, but I could have that mixed up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, you're right, marianner. I mixed up the different programs I was using. I've been using the mobi2mobi to put in the correct title, author, cover image, etc. But I still am not able to see the page for books when I do this. Any other thoughts? At one point I was able to get this page for all of the books, I think it was when I was doing the mobi2mobi as a command line instead of using the GUI. Is there something about the mobi2mobi GUI that would keep this page from appearing?

·
Registered
761 Posts
My first thought is that the Amazon books have been formatted to include the info page, whereas the converted files don't get that formatting. I'll add that the graphics rich PDF files I've converted using PDF Read do have the info page. You can find info about PDF Read here: http://www.kboards.com/index.php?topic=4751.0

EDIT- I'm using a Kindle 2, btw.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll look into the PDFRead program, although it would be much more convenient if I didn't have to convert from the original PDF files and could instead use the mobi files I already have and have edited. Thanks for the help though!

I still suspect that it must have something to do with me editing the metadata with the mobi2mobi GUI... I just don't understand why doing so would change the file. I don't believe I mentioned this before, but before I change the metadata for the .mobi files, I've sent it to the free amazon converter to get it in the right format... so with that it should be correct, it seems to be after that the problem occurs. Is there another way to change the metadata, besides using the command line?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts