Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I'm just curious where everyone is located and whether or not Whispernet works for you. I know I could check the map on Amazon.com (which I have done) but of course it's not 100% accurate, and it's not as fun! SO, where are you, does Whispernet work in your area, and if it does how many bars of signal do you get?

I live in central Vermont on the border with New Hampshire (out in the country) and at my house I do not get any signal at all. I brought it with me to Hanover, NH (home of Dartmouth College) but was only able to check it at one place (was driving the rest of the time and did not leave it on - should have...) and didn't get any there either. The Amazon map shows that Hanover should get some service so later I will try again - I want to try in Lebanon as well but haven't yet had a chance.

EDIT: I discovered today (12/13) that Whispernet works in a town about 30 minutes away from home (West Lebanon, NH) which is where I sometimes work! Yay! Downloaded a bunch of book samples, which was very fast with 5 bars. :) I think what happened when I first checked my Kindle there was I didn't give it enough time for the bars to show up.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
I live in the city, so there are cell phone towers everywhere (newer ones disquised as trees that don't naturally thrive in the desert) and I have gotten full coverage everywhere I've used to whispernet. (so far)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Vegas_Asian said:
I live in the city, so there are cell phone towers everywhere (newer ones disquised as trees that don't naturally thrive in the desert) and I have gotten full coverage everywhere I've used to whispernet. (so far)
Haha, I have one of those fake tree cell phone towers just down the road from me, but I think it is a Verizon tower. Does anyone get Sprint in Vermont? Maybe in Burlington.... OOH! I forgot, I will be going to Burlingon soon... I hope it works there! :p

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
WhisperNet is fine in my house in Waukegan, IL (about 40 miles N of Chicago)

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
They look weird here in Vegas. There won't be any other trees around and usually the reall trees they plant near them are either, much shorter than the tower or die. They really stick out. I think they have better odds of hiding the towers if they were painted the same neutral colors that cover the major of the houses in the desert or even the same colors of the sand or mountains.

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
I live in a suburb 15 - 20 miles straight west of downtown Chicago.  (Did ya hear Letterman's Top Ten List last night?)  Home is second floor in a condo building.  No problems with Whispernet.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
SW Indiana in a subdivision.  Whispernet always works and the # of bars varies.  It does take a few minutes after turning WN on to see the bars.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I live in NY state about 30-45 min. from Albany and I never have had any problem getting Whispernet.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Whispernet works great here in my homey little NW suburb of Atlanta, about 20 miles out.

Nemo

·
Registered
135 Posts
Live in Omaha, and only had the Kindle a couple of days, so I don't have much history with Whispernet, but get three or four bars in my home.

·
Registered
788 Posts
The Bay Area of Northern California is a Whispernet heaven! I have 5 bars at all times when it's on.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Never had a problem on the north shore of Long Island.  As a matter of fact never had a problem in Brooklyn or Queens or anywhere on the Island.

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
I live on the treasure coast of Florida, and usually get four bars.  I do have to wait a few minutes for the bars to show up when I turn on WN.  Four bars works just fine. 

1 - 20 of 108 Posts