Kindle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi  I got my kindle for Christmas and I love it I have read 3 books already since Christmas. I was just wondering does anyone buy books any where else beside Amazon?  :-\ and How do you download them to your Kindle?  Thanks  Maria

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Welcome, Maria!!  Glad to have you with us!  As you will find out, there are many sources for books.  Books that are now in the public domain which includes most of the classics are available for free which is really fun.  Websites like feedbooks.com have them all ready in the correct format for your Kindle so it is very easy to do.  This is an excellent place to be.... I've learned so much here!! 

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
And, since you are new here Maria..... just an FYI.  If you go through the KindleBoards (we try to have links to books on Amazon that you can click on and it takes you directly to the book) then Harvey receives a small token from Amazon to help support KindleBoards which helps out.  Be sure to check out the Bargain Books and Free Books discussions on the Book Corner here.

·
Registered
186 Posts
We buy books from both Baen (check out the free books there, too) http://www.webscription.net/default.aspx and Fictionwise here: http://www.fictionwise.com/home.html (be sure you only buy their MultiFormat ebooks for your Kindle)

There are many free books available, see here for some: http://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=128 these are mostly "classics" but are usually well formatted.

I download the books in all cases to my computer and then transfer them to my Kindle via the small USB cable that came with the Kindle. Easy and fast. The Instruction Manual tells how to do this but it is a simple process. Be sure to keep a backup of these downloaded book files on your computer since these downloaded files, unlike those you buy from Amazon, are not backed up for you by the vendor. Fictionwise does allow you to redownload books from their site that you have already purchased from them.

There are lots of other sources, too. Learn how to download and transfer to your computer so you will know that way in addition to the great Whispenet service.

·
Registered
223 Posts
When I BUY a book it's just from Amazon. But I get books for free from a lot sites listed in Jim's link.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Maria_Forehand said:
Hi I got my kindle for Christmas and I love it I have read 3 books already since Christmas. I was just wondering does anyone buy books any where else beside Amazon? :-\ and How do you download them to your Kindle? Thanks Maria
I buy books from Amazon, mostly. I have also bought books from Fictionwise.com, which will email them directly to your Kindle (look in the FAQ at the site; they have the directions). I have also bought books from Loose Id and Linden Bay Romance and transferred them to my Kindle without any problem.

L

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
I'm with Micdiddy - the books I buy are from Amazon - but ONLY if they are a good price  ;)  There are lots of places for free books, and I have found most of the books well worth reading, even the classics I have tried not to read.  ::)

Nice to have you here - happy reading.

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
The books that I purchase come from Amazon. The rest I get from various free sites which have all been mentioned already. Welcome to KindleBoards Maria!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts