Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been trying to find a source for a cool Avatar but so far all I can find are ... lets just say not suitable for a Family board or just much too teenager for my taste.

I would much rather spend time reading than slogging through the thousands of websites out there with my slow internet connection.

Most of you have really great ones.  I promise I will not duplicate one that may already appear on this Board on purpose and I will change mine if someone points out they already use it.

Thanks

·
Registered
385 Posts
Do you have any pics you've saved on your pc throughout your surfing?
What are you into? Maybe a Google search in images will help you find a pic you like.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
cat616 said:
I have been trying to find a source for a cool Avatar but so far all I can find are ... lets just say not suitable for a Family board or just much too teenager for my taste.

I would much rather spend time reading than slogging through the thousands of websites out there with my slow internet connection.

Most of you have really great ones. I promise I will not duplicate one that may already appear on this Board on purpose and I will change mine if someone points out they already use it.

Thanks
I use google images. If I find a picture I like, I save it to my computer. The software that runs this forum will resize a picture to be appropriate for an avatar. The turkey I have now I found on a blog of the South Dakota Department of Agriculture!

L

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I snagged a few from www animationfactory com and also use my own photo's from my computer from time to time.

The current one is obviously a turkey that is still in the barnyard instead of the roasting pan.

·
Registered
788 Posts
I've had this one for a long time. I couldn't tell you where I got it.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Leslie said:
I use google images. If I find a picture I like, I save it to my computer. The software that runs this forum will resize a picture to be appropriate for an avatar. The turkey I have now I found on a blog of the South Dakota Department of Agriculture!

L
I don't know how to get google images, it just keeps taking me to a search page.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Dori said:
I don't know how to get google images, it just keeps taking me to a search page.
Go to www.google.com

Up in the upper left hand corner you should see Web Images Maps News Shopping Gmail more

Choose images. Then, when you search in the box, the search will return pictures. Give it a try!

L

·
Registered
385 Posts
Dori said:
?? Just go to Google.com, and in the upper left corner click on "images". It takes you to the page that searches exclusively for images. Put, for example, funny cats in the search bar, click search images next to the box, and you'll see a page of pics pop up.
Am I understanding?

ARGH Leslie and her fast fingers, and smart ideas! ;D

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Leslie & Cat - I did not know that the Board software would shrink my own picture.  I will give it a try.

Dori - Your turkey is doing a great Happy Dance.  I will check out your suggestion for animated Avatars.

Chynared - I am running Mac OS X 10.5.5 not Windows, Thanks.

Bacardi Jim - And a very good job too.  Unfortunately, in spite of my very best efforts, I do not know how to do everything myself.

Mikuto - If I had mine for a week I probably would not remember where it came from. LOL

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
When I tried the google images, in the search box I typed animated before turkey, otherwise they were all standing frozen in the  barnyard.

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
Wish I could remember where I found mine.  I'm into the beach and everything.  Didn't know how appropriate it would come to be.  I like it too much to have switched it to a birthday theme recently.

·
Premium Member
63,460 Posts
cat616 said:

Most of you have really great ones. I promise I will not duplicate one that may already appear on this Board on purpose and I will change mine if someone points out they already use it.

Thanks
Mine is one of my quilts. You can really use any image file; many have used family photographs. You can find an image on the internet (search for "image" and something you're interested in, for example, for me, I might have used "quilt image" (without the quotes). Or if there is a picture on your computer, you can upload it. The forum software will resize as appropriate.

Hope this helps!

Betsy

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It all helps.  I am searching now and have changed mine twice in the last hour.

I will figure out animation next.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Here's a couple of suggestions.

1. Google Images. Search for a subject that interests you.  Don't quite know what the copyright implications of an avatar are, but...
2. Find a picture in printed materials you have on hand that you like- magazines, book covers, photos and scan into your computer.

I assume you have some kind of image manipulation software so you can resize the images and adjust contrast, color, brightness.  I don't recall the size limits the Board imposes on avatar images.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts