Kindle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For me, I gain a lot of my inspiration for writing fantasy stories by history documentaries. Thinking about how things could've happened differently with fantastical events is something that interests me. It creates a great story seed that grows from there.

Where do you get your inspiration for what you write?

·
Registered
615 Posts
I don't know. For me, it's just a feeling. Some things just feel right. Others feel flat and pedestrian. Often, it's a song - not the lyrics but the feeling it gives me. And more often than not it's a painting. I actually find a lot of inspiration in fantastical Escher-esque art. There're some awesome artists around. Some paintings are just stories in themselves.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I think I have a lot of input from my subconscious. As much as I try to have an idea of where things are going, when it actually comes down on the page, it's mostly just me trying to describe what is happening in this subconscious world. So, I guess like all things, it takes both conscious thinking and not conscious thinking, but writing is unique because when I go back and edit I can really see it. Some chapters stick to the plan, some came out of who-knows-where, and I like having a mix. So, where does the inspiration come from? I don't want to think about it too much, it might jinx it :LOL:

Awesome topic though. I'm excited to see what everyone says about this.

·
Registered
76 Posts
It can be anything, really.

Usually a little thing that will light a bulb in my head. It can be something someone says in a movie, a line in a book, even lyrics in a song. Stuff in real life too. Sometimes I'll see something unusual while out running errands and it'll trigger an idea. Or even something not so unusual can lead to strange thoughts LOL. Sometimes it'll be an image that'll do it, something someone wrote in an email, or a dream...

So basically, there's no one source. Anything and everything could initiate an idea. I never know where the next one is hiding ;)

Heck, even a thread on a forum could do it haha.

·
Registered
45 Posts
My life. My family. My friends. My interpretations of their personalities and problems. Everything I write is character driven. I'm terrible with plot, but I can take an everyday occurrence and spin it into a character arc pretty easily if I let my mind run away with all the possible motivations and events leading up to it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I get most of my inspiration from other writers' works, especially pre-1975 writers in my country (Viet Nam). Each of them has their own unique perspective about life and they put it in their books by the shape of sharp characters and carefully crafted stories, reveal that to their readers by making them see the world through these perspectives throughout their reading experience.

·
Registered
Managing children's books on Amazon KDP.
5 Posts
My inspiration comes from studying other writers' works. The source may be a YouTube video, Pinterest pin, BuzzFeed, Etsy, etc. There is no single source.

Reactions: Lady Runa

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Real life, mostly. That's not where the plot comes from. The scenes and scenarios, and bits and pieces of characters -- they're from real life. There are elements all around most people that can be used in a book. You just alter them to fit the book.

·
Registered
1 Posts
For me, I gain a lot of my inspiration for writing fantasy stories by history documentaries. Thinking about how things could've happened differently with fantastical events is something that interests me. It creates a great story seed that grows from there.

Your idea to combine history with fantasy is very interesting to me. I like it. It'll make for great movies. I love a good fantasy because to me, it's about exploring yourself and finding things that are unique. Being different is what makes a good story, don't you think? :)

·
Registered
5,844 Posts

That is the question that prevents me from telling anyone I know personally that I write. My inspiration? Who knows? My ideas come out of my head, sometimes when I'm least expecting them.

·
Registered
76 Posts
That is the question that prevents me from telling anyone I know personally that I write.
I hear ya. I have to admit I was a bit startled to see that question here, of all places, LOL.

But it shouldn't stop you from telling people that you write. When I'm asked that question, I just say a condensed version of what I wrote above: "anything and everything can inspire me."

Not a big deal ;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm working on a short story atm..."Grow your own Zombies" it's an adult story, but the idea came from those kid's toys/activities "Grow your own ...crystals, etc". Another one came from a writing exercise...write spontaneously for 1 minute...I kind of just kept going. Ideas come randomly and unexpectedly for me...one time I woke up when camping and saw a star-filled night sky and began imagining the sky shaking and stardust sprinkling down like glitter...and that was the birth to my first children's book - Star Dust.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Real life, mostly. That's not where the plot comes from. The scenes and scenarios, and bits and pieces of characters -- they're from real life. There are elements all around most people that can be used in a book. You just alter them to fit the book.
I agree, especially if the twist of the genre or style is added, such as GRR Martin putting his fantasy twist on The War of the Roses.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts