Kindle Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So aside from this very amazing board, are there any other key places you always make sure to hit when publicizing your Kindle books?

I've been using Twitter and my Facebook fan page to promote with decent results. Whenever I post a link, I always shorten it with http://www.bit.ly because you get real-time stats that show click-thrus on the links themselves. Very handy feature!

Hope this can turn into an interesting thread for authors here!

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Hi Jon,

Authorsden has been been a good venue to get people to my website.  I've found my website has been much more lucrative than Facebook (I think I have three fans there -- how pathetic!  :) )  I guess it would more pathetic if one of them was my Mom.  ;)

I'm still blissfully naive and hope people will read WIDOW'S TALE and say 'gosh darn, that was good.  Let me tell 8000 of my friends about it'

·
Registered
53 Posts
Of course it depends on the book, but I think the key is to know where your audience is and go to forum style sites where they gather. For example, if knitting is a central part of the book, post on a knitting site. Even if it is a work of fiction, if a character is a big knitter, maybe that is a hook for some people. Know your themes and the audience for those themes, and then go find them!

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
jonfmerz said:
So aside from this very amazing board, are there any other key places you always make sure to hit when publicizing your Kindle books?

I've been using Twitter and my Facebook fan page to promote with decent results. Whenever I post a link, I always shorten it with http://www.bit.ly because you get real-time stats that show click-thrus on the links themselves. Very handy feature!

Hope this can turn into an interesting thread for authors here!
Good tip about bit.ly. I've been using tinyurl, but if bit.ly gives is click throughs, that's a much better deal.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Podiobooks.com (Just call me Johnny One-Note.)

All my stuff goes out as free audio at least a year before it goes to print.

By the time the books hit shelves, there's already buzz, a fan base, and pent up demand.

A simple tweet, a post on the blog, and I'm done with promotion.

Robin does some stuff for me -- book bloggers, contest entries, and she's not shy about telling people how well we're doing (with my grateful permission).

For me the issue is keeping a low simmer going while I'm between books. I need to write faster so there's less time "between."

Now, I *do* get invited to submit to anthologies -- I did a story with Scott Sigler a while back (and I'll be doing another this fall). I was also invited to submit a story to "Tales from the Archive" which was a promotional anthology in support of Tee Morris and Philippa Ballantine's new release from Harper Collins. I even sent in a story to Pink Snow Bunnies in Hell -- just because it's Pink Snow Bunnies in Hell. (I'm waiting to find out if it got accepted.)

All those kinds of activities keep the pot simmering until I can turn up the heat with the next audio release - or with a print release.

But I don't "publicize."

·
Registered
12,244 Posts
FB, Twitter, MySpace, my blogs, Goodreads, various forums, Yahoo and Ning loops. There's a Nook boards and a Kindle boards for the UK (not run by the same people as this board). Then there are many places you can take out paid advertising, like Pixel of Ink, Daily Cheap Reads, Kindle Nation Daily, etc. Honestly, I don't have trouble finding places to talk about my books, so much as narrowing it down to the ones that are most useful.  :p

·
Registered
66 Posts
Like Nathan Lowell, I podcast my books (giving away free, serialized, unabridged audio). I used to give them away a year or two before publication. Now, I record the entire book and begin the podcast the day the book is released. I do this for my Random House books (INFECTED, CONTAGIOUS and ANCESTOR) and also for my self-pubbed YA scifi series (THE ROOKIE, THE STARTER, THE ALL-PRO).

This is a huge time investment and I don't recommend it, based on what's now happening with eBooks. I started this six years ago and it was well worth it then, and worth it to keep going as I have 1.8 million individual episode downloads from January 2011 to May 2011.

This gives me a large audience to announce an eBook when it comes out. That can drives books to #1 in their genre, as it did with the short story collection BLOOD IS RED (#1 in Horror and SciFi) in May and INFECTED in June (#1 in Horror).

I also have an active site at scottsigler.com. I have a newsletter with 9,000 subscribers, and I promote in my Facebook group http://www.facebook.com/ScottSiglerPage.

·
Registered
5,749 Posts
For me, the most effective promo has been when a national danace magazine ran a contest to give away several copies of my book (which is a mystery aimed at teenage dance students). I noticed a decent size spike a few days after the winners were announced, which leads me to believe that the girls who didn't win then went and purchased. :D

I also like to do guest blogs for YA book bloggers.

·
Registered
284 Posts
You can always post your books and your bio at Indie Book Lounge. The book lists and rotating author banners ensure everyone's books get front page exposure. Plus, it's FREE! Just go to the site and click the 'Register' link.

If you submit a blog post (article) you get yourself and your books listed on the front page for 24-48 hours.

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
Milly Reynolds said:
This thread had been extremely useful - i have only been publishing on kindle since March. Thanks

Can i ask a really stupid question? How do i get my books to appear at the bottom of my posts like everybody else?
You use the kindleboards link maker: http://www.kboards.com/link/

You can normally find the link at the very top of kindleboards. You'll see a key word cloud with things like "home," "link-maker," etc. Don't feel bad, this took me months to figure out :D

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Milly Reynolds said:
This thread had been extremely useful - i have only been publishing on kindle since March. Thanks

Can i ask a really stupid question? How do i get my books to appear at the bottom of my posts like everybody else?
You'll find complete instructions stickied at the top of the Writer's Cafe, including the latest restrictions on size, etc.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I write short stories, and from my limited experience (one week only) it's a lot easier to sell one to an editor than it is to sell it directly to a reader. I have an idea, however. What about Youtube videos? I don't even know how to make one, yet, but surely writers could read excerts from their works to an internet audience.  A bunch of us could try it together, even. Question is: how do we a get an audience? (I'm more or less self-taught on the computer, but I'm sure there are plenty of people who can answer that question easily.)   

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
Honestly, since I have been spending time on the Kindleboards and the Kindle Facebook page, I have found little need to post anywhere else.  I also have a website/blog where I post regularly and that helps.  I tried to keep up on Goodreads, but found it did not do much to my sales.  Just engaging in conversations on Kindleboards has been the key for me. 

It boosted my sales of the novel I considered my red-headed step-child (apologies red-heads) - RIG.  The novel I almost did not publish.  It is now my first best-seller.  And now it has cascaded down to my other books...  My guess, people enjoyed one, and have bought others.  It's been amazing.

Not quite enough for me to quit the day job...but enough for me to wonder if that might not be in my future.

·
Registered
692 Posts
First - my blog, Twitter, Facebook page and here
Next - Goodreads, Facebook pages that are welcoming to such things (Kindle, Top Shelf, Cheap E-reads, a couple of others)
Then - I did a big blog tour that was very good for me.
Finally - Swap excerpts with other authors in my genre in the backs of my e-books.

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
I think that blogs really are an invaluable resources.  I've only been blogging for a few months so it hasn't led to massive numbers but the framework is there.  Getting 60-150 views every day means 60-150 people are seeing my name and associating it with "writing."  Plus, there's the potential to reach a wider audience than just those here on KB.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Mr. Merz, I wanted to tell you just how much I LOVE the covers of your novels. I made some efforts to find out who your artist was before I found my own -- a talented young man named Allen Chiu.

And I think you can see from mine, below, that we're drawing from the same thematic wells of inspiration!

Best of luck on all your endeavors, in print and in film/TV.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Wherever I can, really. On Kindle Boards, on the Amazon forums (where allowed), via my blog, on Goodreads, on Twitter (which is rather rubbish for continuous publicity) and via my Facebook page.

I'm considering a YouTube book trailer for my next book (a novella), but The Gamblers is already out, and has been for a while, so it's a bit too late now.

The effort put in to promotion has yet to really pay off in terms of sales. If I broke down the hours put in compared to monies earned then I would be one of the world's lowest earners :-\

Martin

http://thegamblersnovel.com

1 - 19 of 19 Posts