Kindle Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a writer getting referenced in a magazine, newspaper or book can be pretty cool. I thought it was pretty cool the first time I saw Donald Trump talking about my books in his business books. But my books also have been in magazines

The Wall Street Journal article (28 September 2006)
The Journal of Electronic Defense (June 2007)
The Publisher's Weekly Cover Story (April 2009)
The Parenting Magazine (November 2005)
VOYA, Children's Writer, Children's Bookshelf, Library Journal, School Library Journal, etc.

Printed reference books
The Complete Idiot's Guide to Elves and Fairies (June 2005)
The Ancient Art of Faery Magick (Sept 2005)
Popular Series Fiction for Middle School and Teen Readers: A Reading and Selection Guide (Jan 2005)
Popular Series Fiction for Middle School and Teen Readers: A Reading and Selection Guide (Dec 2008)
etc.

On radio NPR  (Apr 05, May 09, Aug 10, Sep 11)

On TV, CNN (June 98).

In newspapers like The Olympian where I was dubbed "A Face Behind the Future."

So how about you? Where's the coolest place your books have been in and how did it help your writing career.

The biggest boost I ever got from such a feature was after CNN. I walked into a Border's store and found several of my books stacked floor to chest high (of course they were 1,000 page books so that was maybe 50 books but still very very cool)!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
LisaGraceBooks said:
Hugh Howey, Bella Andre, H. M. Ward, and about a dozen others here (sorry for not mentioning by name) have been mentioned by all the major newspapers, Tv, and radio outlets.
Fantastic. I haven't heard of any of them before but fantastic! It's always such a thrill to get mentions in the media. How about you personally, Lisa?

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Melissa Foster said:
Hugh Howey that is just awesome!
True story: When my wife saw the Instagram, she just turned to me and whispered, with awe in her voice: "You've been in bed with Justin Timberlake."

I didn't say a word. I didn't blink. I thought she knew. I thought the jig was up.

But then I realized she was talking about Jessica being in bed with Justin and my book -- that she was just making a joke -- and that our secret was safe.

·
Registered
454 Posts
... thanks for the -- afterwards relative sticky -- sinus flush, induced by an attempt to drink ice tea whilst reading ...    ::)

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hugh Howey said:
True story: When my wife saw the Instagram, she just turned to me and whispered, with awe in her voice: "You've been in bed with Justin Timberlake."

I didn't say a word. I didn't blink. I thought she knew. I thought the jig was up.

But then I realized she was talking about Jessica being in bed with Justin and my book -- that she was just making a joke -- and that our secret was safe.
It's good to meet you, Howey. Sounds like a really great moment. I love it when I find out celebrities are reading my books.

It was a happy day when I found out Donald Trump was talking about my books and featuring them in his business books.

Doing CNN in '98 was lots of fun too, but I think what I really liked best were the NPR/radio talks. I could be me without worrying if I was red-faced. ;D

Bill Gates was always a reader of mine, and if you look through the early seasons of Big Bang Theory, I think you'll find a few blue-covered surprises.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
I guess my favorite moment was when Jesus gave me a personal endorsement.

My non-fiction has appeared in places that are meaningful to me, but probably wouldn't mean much to others here. Shrug.

For erotica, I guess NPR was my biggest. Not a 15 minutes of fame I could have my mom listen to, but it was still fun.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
There's a rumor that Natalie Portman read my Ielle book in bed and really "got into it", so to speak.  But that might just be a figment of my imagination as retold in my Inside the Realm of Janos story...  It's so hard to keep track.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hugh Howey said:

Hugh now you can say you've been in bed with Jessica Biel :p

·
Registered
36 Posts
Robert Stanek said:
As a writer getting referenced in a magazine, newspaper or book can be pretty cool. I thought it was pretty cool the first time I saw Donald Trump talking about my books in his business books. But my books also have been in magazines

The Wall Street Journal article (28 September 2006)
The Journal of Electronic Defense (June 2007)
The Publisher's Weekly Cover Story (April 2009)
The Parenting Magazine (November 2005)
VOYA, Children's Writer, Children's Bookshelf, Library Journal, School Library Journal, etc.

Printed reference books
The Complete Idiot's Guide to Elves and Fairies (June 2005)
The Ancient Art of Faery Magick (Sept 2005)
Popular Series Fiction for Middle School and Teen Readers: A Reading and Selection Guide (Jan 2005)
Popular Series Fiction for Middle School and Teen Readers: A Reading and Selection Guide (Dec 2008)
etc.

On radio NPR (Apr 05, May 09, Aug 10, Sep 11)

On TV, CNN (June 98).

In newspapers like The Olympian where I was dubbed "A Face Behind the Future."

So how about you? Where's the coolest place your books have been in and how did it help your writing career.

The biggest boost I ever got from such a feature was after CNN. I walked into a Border's store and found several of my books stacked floor to chest high (of course they were 1,000 page books so that was maybe 50 books but still very very cool)!
Robert Stanek, I did a search of the archives from WSJ and found no post about you. Would love to read it. Perhaps you can post the link. That's quite a moment - if it were me I know I'd have screenshots AND links.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
36 Posts
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.