Kindle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Anyone come across any site that maps out the plots of well-known books (so like TV Tropes, but for plots)?

I often find myself trying to remember the plot of a particular book, wondering how exactly the author managed to introduce such and such a topic or got the MCs out of some hole or another.

Sometimes Wikipedia provides a plot synopsis, but it's hit and miss and by no means comprehensive.

Grateful for any clues, because I seem to spend a lot of time flicking through books trying to remember the bit I need to look at to find out what I don't remember ...

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Are Cliffs Notes still a thing? But I think they were only for the classics, and I don't know how extensive or brief they were.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I bet if you scrolled through Goodreads reviews or for that matter those on Amazon, you'd find what you're looking for. When I first published and first paid attention to reviews, I was surprised at how many of them are nothing but a long summary of the plot. As a writer it's annoying as all get out, but the fact is some people, including those who review for popular blogs, consider that a necessary part of a review.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the suggestions. I was surprised to find that plot summaries are posted online by Cliff's notes, (obviously only the classics): https://www.cliffsnotes.com/literature

So far Goodreads has been my go-to, and as upset as I get when 'reviewers' post spoilers on my books, I do sometimes find that site useful, altho it can be tiring having to trawl through all the "this book didn't do it for me". Looks like that's still my best option for anything not on the Cliff's Notes site.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thought I'd add this to this thread in case somebody is looking for an answer to this question in future: I found this site, https://www.litcharts.com/ which has synopses of quite a few well known novels.

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Many modern books have SparkNotes summaries. Wikipedia or universe specific wiki summaries too.

·
Registered
230 Posts
most popular books have their own universe wiki that have the plot summary, especially the books that have movie/tv adaptations. The vampire diaries has the plot summaries of all their books on their wiki

1 - 8 of 8 Posts