Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, everybody! I am new to the boards- in fact, I don't even have my Kindle yet. It should be arriving in a few short shipping weeks, and I am just starting to plan which accessories will be necessary for me.

In your opinion, which covers/lights/cases/skins/etc are the best for the Kindle? Please include the brand name!

I have read a lot about all of my options, but I just can't decide. Thanks! :p

·
Registered
731 Posts
A Kindleboards coffee mug and T-shirt are necessary.  A small booklight (MightyBrite) will be useful. Leslie's FAQ book is worth way more than she charges. Buy it. I'm of the opinion that one doesn't need to dress their Kindle but I am in a very small minority.

Welcome to KindleBoards!

Scott

·
Registered
339 Posts
I like the idea of the skins and really like the way mine looks.  I like the thought that my Kindle will stay clean longer, let's face it, I have nothing else white for a reason!! :D I also have an Oberon cover that I love...totally worth the money since I think that it offers extra protection in my bag.  So there's my two cents!  You will have to let us know what you decide.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Accessories are a matter of personal taste. Not everyone likes the same items, and they all have valid reasons for what they like and dislike. If you can list some features you would really like to have, it would be much easier to suggest items that will suit your taste.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Welcome - and make sure you introduce yourself in the introductions thread.

I think the only thing you NEED is a book light.  Everything else is frosting on the cake!

I have a light from Target with a bendy-neck and I love it.  I think the Might Bright is the most common light here on KindleBoards.  A few people also have the Light Wedge.

Some think you need a new cover, but I would recommend waiting until you get your Kindle and seeing if you like the one that comes with it.  When you use the original cover, take the elastic band that is meant to keep the cover closed and just slip it over the bottom right corner of the Kindle.  This will help keep the Kindle from falling out.  I learned this trick from someone else here, it's an obvious solution but one that I wouldn't have thought of.

I don't use an SD memory card because the Kindle holds plenty of books for me.

I have a M-Edge cover and a DecalGirl skin.  But I have those because I like to play dress-up and it's just fun.  And I think it gives Anabel (yes, I've named my Kindle like many people) a more personalized look.

Welcome again and I hope your wait isn't long.  We'll keep you company in the mean time.

·
Registered
860 Posts
So far I have purchased no accessories and am perfectly content with my Kindle.  More than content.

The only thing that may be a must-have is a book light, especially if you read in bed and share that bed.  I already had one because reading in bed is something I was already doing and it works great with my Kindle.  ;)

There are many non-essential accessories which are necesssary based on personal preference and in some cases those preferences are so strong as to be determined needs.  I haven't come across any of these for my own use yet, but I've only had my Kindle a few weeks.  :D

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
pidgeon92 said:
Accessories are a matter of personal taste. Not everyone likes the same items, and they all have valid reasons for what they like and dislike. If you can list some features you would really like to have, it would be much easier to suggest items that will suit your taste.
I do really like the idea of an Oberon cover- they are soooo pretty, but is there anything else out there better quality-wise?
Reading in bed is something I love to do. My current book light is a "Lumos" aka Harry Potter-themed Light Wedge, but it has many scratches and I read before that scratches on a wedge are very annoyingly noticeable on a Kindle. So, I am looking for a book light, as well. I don't like the idea of juggling with the e-luminate if I am not using a cover at the same time, but I feel that the clip on covers are somewhat restricting depending on what position you are reading in... which is why I would love some recommendations from all you guys.
And, while I like the idea of dressing my Kindle with a skin, it's not really a must. If I decide to go for it, what brands are the best?

Thanks for all of your answers. Sorry for not being specific enough. XD

·
Registered
3,016 Posts
I bought a 4gig SD card along with my Kindle, since the prices were low and the shipping was free.  I haven't needed it quite yet, but, considering my tendancy to accumulate things (like samples) it will come to pass.

My light was bundled with my cover.  I have the one that flips backward and can form an "easel" shape for standing up on a table.  I liked that it wasn't expensive and came with the light and that there is an opening on the back for really easy access to the power and whispernet switches.

Eventually, there will probably be an Oberon cover in the future, but it isn't necessary.

I think Decal Girl is THE ultimate source for amazing Kindle Skin designs.  Just scroll up and to the far right and click on the link to that site.

It will be wonderful hearing of the arrival of your new friend.

Lynn 

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
horsewhisperer990 said:
I do really like the idea of an Oberon cover- they are soooo pretty, but is there anything else out there better quality-wise?
I think Oberon is the top of the line so far. Of course, just because it's nice doesn't necessarily mean it's for you. Some people don't like the bulk of it, either while they are reading or when carrying it. Some people like me wouldn't take their Kindle out of its case, unless to put it in a new case, and some prefer it naked.

horsewhisperer990 said:
I don't like the idea of juggling with the e-luminate if I am not using a cover at the same time, but I feel that the clip on covers are somewhat restricting depending on what position you are reading in... which is why I would love some recommendations from all you guys.
Like I said, I keep the Kindle in a case at all times, and I've never found it difficult. Generally in bed I read either propped up on pillows or on my side. YMMV, of course.

horsewhisperer990 said:
And, while I like the idea of dressing my Kindle with a skin, it's not really a must. If I decide to go for it, what brands are the best?
I think the majority have a skin from decalgirl.com. They are very nice. A couple of others have been mentioned, including one that lets you put your own design on a skin, but I don't remember the name any more. I'm sure someone will chime in with it, though.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Wow, you asked the wrong people for help picking accessories. People on this board are accessory happy. :) You might go broke with everything they can show you because you just might want it.
As for the the light for m-edge cover it has a bendy neck and can fold out of the way. I don't have my K yet (I'm waiting like you) but I have the cover and the light and the light does not seem like it would be in the way when not in use. Happy waiting  ;).

LSbookend

A

·
0 Posts
I highly recommend browsing through this board. All your questions are answered 10 fold. You find pics and reviews of all kinds of accessories. What is a "must have" is really up to you and your needs and preferences. Browse and have fun-you'll be an accessories addict in no time!  :)

I really do recommend keeping your Kindle in a case at all times (the one that comes with it is garbage). Not only will it be protected, but reading with it in a case is much easier and stops most accidental button presses.  :)

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
I know that some people do not like the case that comes with the Kindle at all.  Based on that fact, I pre-ordered both a M-edge cover and an Oberon cover.  I love the way the Oberon feels and the way it protects when it is in my purse, brief case, etc.  But I liked my original.  It props up better for reading in bed.  The clip on mine worked fine and it never slipped out.  Although, I never take it out of the house in that cover because I don't trust it as much as my other two. 
I concur with everyone else about the skin.  Not a necessity, but for the price, and the fact that Kindle is white, well worth it. 

Welcome.  You'll find great people and great tips here.  Be sure to let us know when your Kindle arrives.  We love to hear the squeels of excitment.
debbie

A

·
0 Posts
As far as reading in bed and such, I have this for using at home-when not in use I just turn it over and looks like a regular throw pillow:

For traveling I have the ministand from BookMates. It fits in my handbag. :)

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
NYCKindleFan said:
As far as reading in bed and such, I have this for using at home-when not in use I just turn it over and looks like a regular throw pillow:

For traveling I have the ministand from BookMates. It fits in my handbag. :)
I have this on my long wishlist! :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
NYCKindkleFan - can you tell me the name of that pillow/bookrest? I'd love something like that but have no idea how to search for it. Thanks for any help you can provide!

/Rhonda

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
SleepingBeauty said:
NYCKindkleFan - can you tell me the name of that pillow/bookrest? I'd love something like that but have no idea how to search for it. Thanks for any help you can provide!

/Rhonda
Rhonda, there is a thread on book rests in Accessories if you browse perhaps you can find it. I'm sure NYC will answer your question. I just remember seeing several pictures of this pillow around XMAS time.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Like someone stated before then only real necessity is the booklight the rest of the accessories are just for style and protection. Its all based on what you like. Personally, I have skins for my K, because without it I thought the K looked too plain. As for covers, many find that the original Kindle cover unreliable, but just keep in mind kindles have come loose from the Original kindle case and you may avoid dropping your K.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts