Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Personally, I like the idea of adding the MC to the cover, but I don't think the design looks great. The way the woman's image is incorporated doesn't mesh well enough; it looks homemade. And it looks like she's actively avoiding the title, which is weird. I'm not a cover designer, so I can't suggest how to fix it, but I would say keep working on it.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I agree with ShawnaReads.

I like the idea of incorporating the model but it doesn't look right as is, and I don't like the title font on the first one/the spacing is off.

So I'd choose the second if I had to right now.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bite the Dusty said:
I agree with ShawnaReads.

I like the idea of incorporating the model but it doesn't look right as is, and I don't like the title font on the first one/the spacing is off.

So I'd choose the second if I had to right now.
Thanks for replying. Do you think she would be better dressed with more clothes?

·
Registered
267 Posts
I'd choose the one without the woman, very captivating, and play with font a little ...  I'm not a cover designer, but am a photographer and make my own covers, only ... not for hire.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts

Your first cover pops more. Although the 'Danger' line needs some blurring behind it.

If you want the actress, can you shrink her? Push her perspective back and bring the darkness of the background back into balance?

Or shrink "The" so the title can move up higher and you can make "Danger" and "List" more prominent. Use some shadowing behind the title (often easiest to make two copies of the text, make them black, offset each of them a pixel or three). As-is "Danger" gets connected with the building lights.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I am going to chime here.

I really liked the first cover. It’s mysterious and it does pop. I don’t think you need the woman at all

·
Registered
573 Posts
The cover without the model reminds me more of a classic traditionally published novel. Whether that's apropos to your genre and taste, I don't know. I'm not sure I like the way the model on the cover looks. I like the font and background with the modeless one.

I'll add that the model looks fine, but there's something not quite right with the setting and font on that one, imo.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I like the one with the woman.  Somehow she is connected to danger.  She is dangerous.  But, she has a gun in her hand, and I am not sure whether that "gun on the cover" issue still exists.

The font and title needs work.  It is somewhat unreadable in spots.

As far as the first cover goes, it just doesn't bring up any particular excitement.  It could be anything.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I agree that the model looks fine but also looks out of place. The street scene says mean & gritty while she's looking sophisticated and smooth. Maybe that's no bad thing, if it causes potential readers to look twice & wonder at the juxtaposition? In that case, perhaps consider an appropriate tag line to pique interest further & direct it to your blurb?

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all your replies. It seems most like the street scene but the model doesn't look quite right and neither does the font above her. I may leave it at the first cover or find a better model.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The one with the girl but her color balance doesn't fit the background, make her more matte

·
Registered
68 Posts
wearywanderer64 said:
Thanks for replying. Do you think she would be better dressed with more clothes?
I would vote so. She doesn't read "officer," more "under cover." That said, you may not need the MC on the cover at all. If you can strengthen the imagery (make it clearly Edinburgh, Aberdeen, Glasgow, etc.) and make it more Scottish Noir at first glance, it would be stronger and better convey your specific niche.

·
Registered
784 Posts
I like the model cover, but something pops as a paste job here. Not a drastic distraction, but it could be improved, I think.

·
Registered
294 Posts
wearywanderer64 said:
If she's supposed to be police, yes.

To clarify my first post: The original cover with no model and a different font works better. The new cover with the model doesn't mesh and that font/spacing doesn't work.

If you put that model with the other, sharper, non-matte background it might work better, if you're set on using the model. I like people on covers, but if it doesn't look right, it's better not to use them. Simple and polished is better.

Did you make both covers? Are you able to mix them to make the best combo?

·
Registered
8,167 Posts
wearywanderer64 said:
Thanks for all your replies. It seems most like the street scene but the model doesn't look quite right and neither does the font above her. I may leave it at the first cover or find a better model.
For me the issue isn't whether the cover is better with or without the woman. It's whether the cover is better with or without this particular woman. Someone who looks a little more professional would be my preference. Although I agree with some others who say the streetscape cover is perfectly good too on its own.

wearywanderer64 said:
Do you think she would be better dressed with more clothes?
LOL, my initial gut reaction to this question was "If you have to ask....." 8)

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks everybody for taking the time to reply.  I think I will stick with the original as obviously the second one isn't better.  Now to get back to writing.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Hi,

I'd put them both together. I like the darker blue and the title with the red for danger - it adds drama. But I like the woman too.

Cheers, Greg.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Not really taken by either cover. Try to find a better (professional looking) cover. Both of these look...makeshift or done with the least amount of artistic effort. As well, do you need to have an image of your protag on the cover? It visually establishes the character in reader's mind - this can be good but mostly bad. This is where prejudices (personal and otherwise) come into play. I had a reader once send me a comment that they didn't like my 'main character' because the way she looked - on the cover. Why not settle for something less visually exact? Plus, there are a ton of talented ebook cover designers out there who have premade covers - all for $50 or less. Look around. You can do a lot better than either of these covers. Below are just three that I came across often enough - Best wishes and good luck, Edita

https://www.juanjpadron.com/testimonials
https://www.kudi-design.com/
https://hannahlinderdesigns.com/pre-made-covers/page/2/

1 - 20 of 21 Posts