Kindle Forum banner
21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Gruntman said:
I just finished Judas Unchained in DTB, loved it.
I was reading Pandora's Star in DTB when I got my Kindle and finished reading it on the Kindle! OK, LR, this is on the Kindle; I missed the part about it having to be a book not on the K. :-\
But none of Goodkinds are on the K...so sad :'(, such a great series!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I truly didn't think I would get this kind of a response . . . at least not so quickly.

There are some seriously good reads amongst your choices.

Although some misinterpreted my question, their responses piqued my interest.

I (macho retired Navyman that I am) am not really into Romance novels at all, but I did some looking over at the Kindle store and think I may have to (at least) put Outlander on my wish list. If I like it may even read the whole series.

Thanks for the input.[/color]pt]

·
Registered
11 Posts
I’ve been carry around a copy of David Foster Wallace’s Infinite Jest since its release in 97, and have read it and re-read it and re-re-read more times than I can recall. His book of essays, A Supposedly Fun Thing I’ll Never Do Again is just as delicious, and every bit as intellectually stimulating. Hell, the same could be said of all of Wallace’s works. 

Others would include Cormac McCarthy, both The Road and Blood Meridian – Denis Johnson’s Already Dead: A California Gothic, anything by Irvine Welsh, particularly, Marabou Stork Nightmares, lots of Bukowski, Kerouac, Hunter Thompson, I could go on and on.

A second (or third or fourth) read through usually unearths treasures missed the first go round, and I often find myself appreciating a novel more thoroughly after a re-read.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Harry Potter
Mitford Series
The Cat Who series
Tony Hillerman
Reginald Hill
Jean Auel

I have all these in DTB and re-read at least all of them once a year.  There are others on the kindle that I have the DTB and will evenutally replace them and re-read those.  Along with Outland series, Distant Cousin, In Her Name, etc.  I re-read a lot!   8)

·
Registered
8 Posts
stargazer0725 said:
Okay, Linda, since you mentioned Thornbirds (which I loved), I've also got to mention another Aussie novel that I enjoyed and was made into an HBO mini-series back in the early 80's: All the Rivers Run, by Nancy Cato

I wore out my paperback at least a decade ago and haven't been able to find it in print again.
I loved the miniseries and was in Australia last November. I wanted to see similar places. I didn't but I still remember with fondness

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
This book came out in 1875. My grandparents loved it, my aunts loved it, my father loved it....I read it the first time when I was probably 13 and just re-read it this weekend...in a Kindle version! It was a hoot and I thought it was much funnier all these years later. It does stand the test of time, that's for sure.

I bought it from Amazon (the $6 version is better formatted than the $1.59 version) but you can also find it on Google books, download the PDF and send it to your Kindle, if you want to get it for free.

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Harry Potter
All of Susan Howatch (only two are Kindleized)
To Kill a Mockingbird
The Good Earth
Child of the Morning
All of Helen MacInnes
All of Mary Stewart
River God and The Seventh Scroll (Wilbur Smith)
All of Rex Stout/Nero Wolfe
Larry Karp's Dr. Purdue Series
Simon Brett's Mrs. Pargeter series
A Ruling Passion and Sleeping Beauty (Judith Michael)

and a lot more.  I'm a big rereader.

·
Registered
9,483 Posts
gertiekindle said:
Harry Potter
All of Susan Howatch (only two are Kindleized)
To Kill a Mockingbird
The Good Earth
Child of the Morning
All of Helen MacInnes
All of Mary Stewart
River God and The Seventh Scroll (Wilbur Smith)
All of Rex Stout/Nero Wolfe
Larry Karp's Dr. Purdue Series
Simon Brett's Mrs. Pargeter series
A Ruling Passion and Sleeping Beauty (Judith Michael)

and a lot more. I'm a big rereader.
Definitely all the Rex Stout/Nero Wolfe, they are my all-time favorites and I have them all in DTB, but would rather have them in Kindle to re-read for the umpteenth time.

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
crebel said:
Definitely all the Rex Stout/Nero Wolfe, they are my all-time favorites and I have them all in DTB, but would rather have them in Kindle to re-read for the umpteenth time.
I just finished rereading Murder By the Book. The pages are starting to separate from the spine. Woe is me.

G

·
YouKneeK said:
This book and its sequels, in a heartbeat. I borrowed them from the library so I never owned my own copies. I would definitely purchase them for the Kindle and re-read them. His later books by a different publisher are all available, but only two of his earlier books published by Random House are on the Kindle. In my opinion, his earliest books were the best.
I absolutely agree. The Riftwar Saga remains the best of his many series.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Am not so sure about the "if they were on the Kindle part."  I reread all of the following every so many years.  Only the Hillerman books are all available for Kindle.  Since I have these books to date in hard copy, I'm not going to buy Kindle copies of them just to have them on Kindle.

Dick Francis
Dana Stabenow
Jonathan Kellerman
James Herriot
Nevada Barr
Tony Hillerman

21 - 40 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.