Kindle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
Um, sorry Vicki, I have no idea.  I only have K1's.  As a general rule, if mobi/prc is available, it's always best to get that version over pdf that has to be converted.  Unless the mobi is a secure format, in which case it usually won't work on the Kindle.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Jammie said:
Free book at http://www.gwellstaylor.com/books/whengraveyardsyawn/free_book/free_ebook.html

--------------------
When Graveyards Yawn by G. Wells Taylor
The Apocalypse Trilogy - Book 1

MURDER IS STILL MURDER IN GREASETOWN - Even if life has become a little complicated. Fifty years ago, at the end of the last Millennium we expected something bad to happen, but we never expected the Change. People stopped aging, the dead rose from their graves, it started raining and it's been raining ever since.Things looked so bad that everyone thought it was the end of the world, but a guy's still got to make a living doesn't he?

A dead lawyer enters the office of Wildclown Investigations and hires the detective to find his killer. Wildclown and his dead sidekick Elmo soon find themselves entangled in a battle for control of a secret that offers either hope or doom for humanity. WHEN GRAVEYARDS YAWN takes the reader to a unique setting that mixes gothic horror with the two-fisted pragmatism of a hard-boiled detective novel.
---------------

I haven't read this so I'm not recommending it. Just ran across it so thought I'd pass it along. It's available for download in several different formats, including prc and Kindle azw.
They have 2 choices to download for the Kindle: .azw and .prc - is one or the other "better" for reading on Kindle? (better formatting?) Either can be simply moved onto the Kindle for reading via USB cable from computer, right?

TIA!

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
I'm going to split out most of the discussion about book conversion of the free PDF to its own thread, however I'll leave the last couple comments here for information about the free book.

Reminder, posts about free books only here, please! We try to keep this pretty lean and mean so it's useful to the new folks coming in. If you have a technical question, Tips & Tricks is a good place. (Of course, if there's a problem about one of the books offered, we need that info here so people can make informed choices.) I do prune occasionally, try to do it without impacting folks' post counts too badly.

Thanks!

Betsy

<==easter bunny mod hat in honor of KBoards' Easter Egg Hunt contest!

·
Registered
463 Posts
CS said:
Aren't Mobi and PRC the same thing?
Not quite, although MOBI readers can read PRC. Just as Kindle's AZW format is more "evolved" (ie, has been modified a bit) and can still read the older two formats.

MOBI has more formatting options and can produce a better looking book than PRC. Of course, since many people swap these extensions around, the lines get blurred, but if both formats are available (say, at Fictionwise), choose MOBI over PRC.

·
Registered
463 Posts
vlapinta said:
Steph H which format for K2?
The K2 and the K1 are identical in their book formatting. Choose the AZW format for Kindle, as it is more likely to know about the margins and screen size for Kindle (although all MOBI/PRC formats are reflowable, margins can be set and reduce what is on the screen of a reader).

As far as what will work on Kindle - MOBI, PRC and AZW from this site (TXT would work, but may not look nearly as good, although there don't seem to be graphics to worry about).

·
Registered
9,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
koland said:
Not quite, although MOBI readers can read PRC. Just as Kindle's AZW format is more "evolved" (ie, has been modified a bit) and can still read the older two formats.

MOBI has more formatting options and can produce a better looking book than PRC. Of course, since many people swap these extensions around, the lines get blurred, but if both formats are available (say, at Fictionwise), choose MOBI over PRC.
Not to make the already blurred line blurrier, but there are numerous conversion engines out there that create MOBI and PRC files. For example, Smashwords distributes files with the MOBI file extension as the "Kindle version." On my Kindle, the Smashwords *.MOBI versions of my books are slightly different than the Amazon *.AZW and the Mobipocket *.PRC files although all three were created using the same Word file as their source. The differences are small and mostly cosmetic with the exception of locations. People often send me notes that they found a typo at a particular location that I sometimes can't find.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Jeff said:
On my Kindle, the Smashwords *.MOBI versions of my books are slightly different than the Amazon *.AZW and the Mobipocket *.PRC files although all three were created using the same Word file as their source. The differences are small and mostly cosmetic with the exception of locations. People often send me notes that they found a typo at a particular location that I sometimes can't find.
I've seen similar problems with locations when an author gets uploaded both by Amazon DTP and Mobipocket - one file can be larger and have double the locations (each location mark takes up space in the file), yet the text be identical. But the formats do vary some in their specifications, with Mobi being the "newer" format, which makes MobiCreator's creation of PRC even more confusing, while AZW has a few amazon specific wrinkles. Mobi does display a bit better, often (and you can create MOBI easily from PRC, using something like Calibre).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts