Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok it comes down to one question.... Which E Reader is best for reading Manga? Is it Kindle or Sony? Although I like reading regular books, I read manga the most... And right now I can't collect anymore since I've run out of space in my room! Then I decided it was time to get a E Reader...

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
I'd wait on the DX for manga.  You'll need a larger screen for it I think.  I see some starting to become available, but I haven't tried any on my Kindle yet.  The few graphic based ebook things I have tried make me think that a manga page may just be too small and hard to read.  If they do start coming out with Manga in ebook form and it's a reasonable price I may have to invest in a DX just for that ><  They also have programs like Mangle that say they'll convert .jpgs of downloaded Manga to be read on the Kindle so I guess people like it okay on the K1 and K2.  I have it but haven't tried it yet.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Scheherazade said:
I'd wait on the DX for manga. You'll need a larger screen for it I think. I see some starting to become available, but I haven't tried any on my Kindle yet. The few graphic based ebook things I have tried make me think that a manga page may just be too small and hard to read. If they do start coming out with Manga in ebook form and it's a reasonable price I may have to invest in a DX just for that >< They also have programs like Mangle that say they'll convert .jpgs of downloaded Manga to be read on the Kindle so I guess people like it okay on the K1 and K2. I have it but haven't tried it yet.
Could you try it and give a review? I downloaded Mangle but I can't test it since I don't have a E Reader yet... I did see two photo's of Kindle 1 and 2... The photo of Kindle 1 actually looked better then Kindle 2

http://foosoft.net/mangle/

Scroll down to see photos on the page...

The reason I want to read manga on a E Reader is because reading it on the computer gives me eye strain... My eye is bloodshot from reading a 200+page manga bookscans

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
Someone else asked this a while back. They were trying to decide between a K2 or wait for the DX. I think they went with the K2 since the DX release date was unknown.

If you really want to read Manga I would go with the DX. The larger screen and changing to landscape sounds like a good combo for any comic book type format.

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
I'll try and see if I can figure it out and let you know.  Might even be able to post some pics!  I've been worried about trying it, but I also fretted for weeks over trying the screensaver hack.  It's time to make the leap!

·
Registered
460 Posts
I have a feeling that the DX would be much better suited to this type of material, but your millage may vary.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Scheherazade said:
I'll try and see if I can figure it out and let you know. Might even be able to post some pics! I've been worried about trying it, but I also fretted for weeks over trying the screensaver hack. It's time to make the leap!
The directions on the site look easy... I did use the Mangle Program for converting and filing the Manga images... It converted them to the mangle format which I believe should work for the Kindle as stated on the site introduction...

As for the DX... There is no way I can afford over $400.00-$500.00 for the E Reader... In my opinion it is way over priced, it's the same for the Kindle 2 as well... Right now I'm trying to get the Kindle 1 for around $200.00...

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
The graphics on K1 are pretty poor. The photo on the Amazon site makes them look better than they are IME. If you are really intent on getting an e reader for manga k1 would be my last choice.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I concur... Manga on the K1 will be absolute fail with only 4 shades of grey. The K2 with 16 shades will be better, but again you'll be crippled by the small screen.

I think it's DX or nothing for Manga. I'm still buying my graphic novels/manga in DTB for now.

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
Okay, so the manga I got had the chapters in the volume separated so I had to spend a little time putting those into one directory and making sure they were in order correctly. It took about a minute to upload to my Kindle, but did give me an error about not being able to write a .jpg file. Nevertheless my Kindle disconnected itself from the USB after it was downloaded and the title showed in my books. Interestingly the menu has a lot of options, but none are for navigating. Pressing right on the home page allows you to go to the beginning or last page read though. One is actually a rotating to landscape mode which I thought wasn't available. It seemed to fail to upload correctly for some reason. I did an entire manga and only got about 6 or 7 pages before it starts over and after deleting it I see that the pictures are still physically on the Kindle and need to be deleted from the directory directly. I'll play with it some more and see what's up.

Here's some pictures... I actually found it quite readable and it fits the screen a lot better than I thought it would. Excuse the shaky bits that make it a tad out of focus in parts. I had to go in at an angle to avoid screen glare and get enough light and can't find my tripod so had to do it by hand.

·
Registered
711 Posts
ZOMG, Death Note on my Kindle!

I Gotta figure out how to do that!

I just downloaded Mangle, but I'm kinda not windows savvy :(im actually running a windows vista virtual pc on my mac right now x_X) Does anyone have a step by step process by which I can get (any) manga on my kindle?

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
1.Add images to the current book by selecting the "Book | Add | Files" or "Book | Add | Directory" menu items
2.If certain images are not in the order you want, select them in the window, and select the "Book | Shift | Up" or "Book | Shift | Down" menu items
3.Configure the book title and image processing options by selecting "Book | Options"; this will be the title you see in the Kindle home menu
4.Create a root-level directory on your SD memory card/Kindle called "pictures" (case might matter)
5.Once you are satisfied with the your images and options select "Book | Export" and select the "pictures" directory you just created
6.After the export is complete your new manga books will show up along with all your other books (if they don't for some reason, press Alt+Z while on the home menu)

Also here is the link to the site for more indepth info...

http://foosoft.net/mangle/

·
Registered
711 Posts
Thanks lots!

*Will tell ya how it goes, later!*

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
It's a custom skin >< Here's the full thing below! And yeah, I am trying it again now and it's telling me it'll take an hour and a half to transfer to my Kindle and I haven't gotten an error yet. I am wondering if an hour and a half is normal? I'll be able to let you know around 7:30 EST how it came out. I'm also wondering how much space this is going to take up and if it's really worth all this trouble. That being said, the Manga is definitely readable so if publishers get on the ball and are able to make sure the pages fit the entire screen I think it'd work nicely even on the K2. Unfortunately the few "picture books" I've tried have pictures not the same size as the screen so they are smaller and therefore less readable.

As I was typing this message it errored out again. This time it seemed to get much farther, but tells me it "Cannot write image file G:\pictures/Death Note 1/0046.gif" I'm going to try another Manga.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts