Kindle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
which is best platform to create a book just for your own use but not sell online?
if you want to create a book just for yourself or family (but not publish it online), is there a platform to do that? would it be ingramspark?

·
Registered
466 Posts
online reading or print?

You can use a simple word file and use the kindle create tool to make a mobi out of it. if you have a few friends, you can even use the free bookfunnel tool to allow them to easily access it on their readers. they can then read it with an app or online. There is also a way to mail it to a persons kindle via mail. You never need to even upload it to kindle to share the file with other readers if you do it directly.

print: you can set up a kdp book until pre finish and then use the system to order author copies in paper. there will be a few limitations (yu need to have some cover and fill out the details etc). But you will be paying print cost and shipping.

Or just make it in word / publisher software, print it on a printer and bind it. By a folder or something more permanent. many copy shops offer services for binding.

·
Registered
5,601 Posts
blueman3 said:
which is best platform to create a book just for your own use but not sell online?
if you want to create a book just for yourself or family (but not publish it online), is there a platform to do that? would it be ingramspark?
You might want to check out Lulu or Book Baby.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I'd compare the pricing for author copy on these platforms and shipping costs then. you usually can easily google the cost per page.

One caveat of amazon: you can either print all in b/w or in expensive color - some platforms depending on where you live might allow single color pages.

Since you only want to print for yourself, this should be the easiest route - I only played around with amazon and know their word to print conversion is very easy - you might find the other platforms easier. just avoid the final publish button - these are after all print on demand platforms so this should be easy
good luck.

·
Registered
12,220 Posts
Barnes & Noble Press has an option for printing a book for personal use, instead of publishing it. I've used them a couple times when helping somebody with a private project and it's fairly simple to set up. Price depends on length, whether you want a paperback or a hardback, etc. I think ours were just a few dollars per copy, since they were novelette length.

·
Registered
5,844 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Amazon is still the cheapest and the easiest for paperbacks, IMO. Just create the book, order a few proofs but don't actually publish it. Alternatively, publish it, order the required number of copies at a discount, then unpublish it straight away.

·
Banned
464 Posts
Ingram Spark. I've created and published hardcover and paperback books for organizations that don't want them sold in stores and never enabled distribution. Whenever an organization wants copies of their book to sell via their own channels, I put in the order, get it delivered to them and send a bill to cover the cost of printing & shipping, and my costs as publisher. Done. IS doesn't care whether you enable distribution or not.

·
Registered
7,615 Posts
B&N, Ingram Spark, Blurb. Amazon really isn't the place for things like this, once you publish it's always out there, even if copies can't be bought.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts