Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Writing the next books in my Martin Billings series.
495 Posts
That's a challenging question. Determining which ones are good requires considering a lot of factors. Good value for the price, obviously, but there is a difference in general book promotions (say for a launch) or for promoting discounted books or for promoting a backlist, and it varies by genre. Some people report sites that are great, but if their strategy is keeping the first book in a series permafree, those sites might not work well for standalones or full-priced books.
Personally, I'm working with group promos and newsletter promos (bookfunnel and story origin). I've had spotty, not repeatable results with the promo sites. Much of that might be my own chaotic marketing, but there it is. It's the reality I have to deal with.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's a challenging question. Determining which ones are good requires considering a lot of factors. Good value for the price, obviously, but there is a difference in general book promotions (say for a launch) or for promoting discounted books or for promoting a backlist, and it varies by genre. Some people report sites that are great, but if their strategy is keeping the first book in a series permafree, those sites might not work well for standalones or full-priced books.
Personally, I'm working with group promos and newsletter promos (bookfunnel and story origin). I've had spotty, not repeatable results with the promo sites. Much of that might be my own chaotic marketing, but there it is. It's the reality I have to deal with.
Many thanks!! "...spotty, not repeatable results with the promo sites." That seems to say it ;)

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I agree with Fussy, ENT and Bargain Booksy. I haven't used the last two.

It's important that you don't use the same promo site too often. You need to vary the sites you use or your results will go downhill.

·
Banned
34 Posts
unless you are promoting a free book, Bookraid will give you the most bang for your buck as they only charge you for the actual clicks for your book while others will charge you a blanket amount based on the number of subscribers their newsletters have, even if you get 0 sales after running a promo on their newsletters that supposedly has thousands, if not hundreds of thousands, of subscribers... [EDIT] and with Bookraid you not only save money, which is always good, but you also get useful stats such as how many people actually clicked on your book and out of that how many went on to buy it... all very useful information but try getting that out of the likes of ENT!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have never earned back my money with Fussy Librarian. In fact, I'm 80% sure with my last promotion that it screwed up the also boughts and/or conversation rates in such a way that the Amazon algorithms stopped recommending it. Sales of all my books fell noticably after running that promotion.

Know your target audience and only go with the sites that cater to those readers.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What genre? 99c or free?
Hi. Genre's #Thriller, #Suspense #RomanticSuspense, #PsychologicalSuspense & cost is 99 cents - for verified purchase. I've found that 99c doesn't make a difference. If it's free, readers are sometimes more likely to forget it - regardless # of downloads.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Hi. Genre's #Thriller, #Suspense #RomanticSuspense, #PsychologicalSuspense & cost is 99 cents - for verified purchase. I've found that 99c doesn't make a difference. If it's free, readers are sometimes more likely to forget it - regardless # of downloads.
Those genres correspond, I think, well with a lot of the results in the threads here. Finding where your book fits is crucial. In fact, I've run promos on completely different genres at the same time. And if I ran a promo in fantasy three months ago, I might consider running it through the same company under romance, if it fits. Something to think about.

I don't really think things have changed too much over the past few years--except that all promotion sites are faring worse. Check out the old threads. BookBub remains tops for free and 99c.

IME: ENT, Robin Reads, Hidden Gems, Book Cave, Book Doggy, are top tier for 99c. For free, Freebooksy and Fussy Librarian are at the tippy top choice (I haven't personally run Hidden Gems or Book Cave free). There are plenty of others, particularly under romance, depending on genre and your book's fit.

Something rarely discussed, though huge, in considering this stuff is price of the promo vs downloads. Bookbub for example is super successful, but it's also super expensive. At the other extreme is BK Knights which costs $10. BKnights is very worth it due to expense even though you only pick up a few books. So is BookRaid for this reason.

Anyway, all the promo companies I mentioned above are my top picks and are worth your consideration. Also check out promotion companies specific for your genre. Hopefully this helps.

·
Banned
34 Posts
Does anyone know what they charge per click?
for 'free book' promotions, the cost is $0.15 per click and for $0.99 promotions, it is $0.20 per click. $2.99 promotions cost $0.60 per click. the charges are capped at $60 so they wont charge you more than that than even if you get hundreds of clicks... which i do for my free runs even when there is no sell-thru so that is why i don't recommend them for free books, but they work out much better for discounted books... at least for me they have!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Those genres correspond, I think, well with a lot of the results in the threads here. Finding where your book fits is crucial. In fact, I've run promos on completely different genres at the same time. And if I ran a promo in fantasy three months ago, I might consider running it through the same company under romance, if it fits. Something to think about.

I don't really think things have changed too much over the past few years--except that all promotion sites are faring worse. Check out the old threads. BookBub remains tops for free and 99c.

IME: ENT, Robin Reads, Hidden Gems, Book Cave, Book Doggy, are top tier for 99c. For free, Freebooksy and Fussy Librarian are at the tippy top choice (I haven't personally run Hidden Gems or Book Cave free). There are plenty of others, particularly under romance, depending on genre and your book's fit.

Something rarely discussed, though huge, in considering this stuff is price of the promo vs downloads. Bookbub for example is super successful, but it's also super expensive. At the other extreme is BK Knights which costs $10. BKnights is very worth it due to expense even though you only pick up a few books. So is BookRaid for this reason.

Anyway, all the promo companies I mentioned above are my top picks and are worth your consideration. Also check out promotion companies specific for your genre. Hopefully this helps.
Super helpful! Thank you!! 🌺

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
for 'free book' promotions, the cost is $0.15 per click and for $0.99 promotions, it is $0.20 per click. $2.99 promotions cost $0.60 per click. the charges are capped at $60 so they wont charge you more than that than even if you get hundreds of clicks... which i do for my free runs even when there is no sell-thru so that is why i don't recommend them for free books, but they work out much better for discounted books... at least for me they have!
Thanks, Kathy!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Super helpful - thank you!!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
unless you are promoting a free book, Bookraid will give you the most bang for your buck as they only charge you for the actual clicks for your book while others will charge you a blanket amount based on the number of subscribers their newsletters have, even if you get 0 sales after running a promo on their newsletters that supposedly has thousands, if not hundreds of thousands, of subscribers... [EDIT] and with Bookraid you not only save money, which is always good, but you also get useful stats such as how many people actually clicked on your book and out of that how many went on to buy it... all very useful information but try getting that out of the likes of ENT!
Wonderful info! I never heard of Bookraid, will try them! Thank you!!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts