Kindle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those who've used both, which has worked better for you when it came to selling books Amazon ads or Facebook ads? I'm asking because I've tried Amazon ads over the holidays with mixed success and am curious about trying Facebook ads.

Thanks in advance.

Dee

·
Registered
190 Posts
amazon for me. what is your strategy in detail to do facebook ads that work? i tried and am still trying facebook ads but it's not been a success for me.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Mine's opposite of blueman3! I am only on FB, and have been for over a year. It's worked out very well for me. The key is a compelling description, an image (or video) that pops, and proper targeting (locations, age ranges, genders, interests) and then controlling your bids.

I have not been able to make AMS work at all (admittedly haven't tried hard enough either)

·
Registered
190 Posts
jm2019 said:
Mine's opposite of blueman3! I am only on FB, and have been for over a year. It's worked out very well for me. The key is a compelling description, an image (or video) that pops, and proper targeting (locations, age ranges, genders, interests) and then controlling your bids.

I have not been able to make AMS work at all (admittedly haven't tried hard enough either)
hi jm2019, good to hear fb working for you. i know fb ads work because i've heard a lot of people scale big with fb ads...i just haven't had success with it but determined to figure it out this year. can i ask some questions
1) for targeting audience, generally speaking...who do you target? do you pick based on interest? pick 1 interest per ad...and compare it to another ad targeting another interest?
2) for description, do you direct traffic to an optin page (to capture email/lead) OR do you direct traffic straight to amazon. currently im directing traffic to b2r since it's a little trackable (as they allow you to put your own fb pixel). i have non fiction books...any other tips? thanks.

for ams tips, i would say do both manual and auto ads for both ebook and paperback.
also for manual ads, i recommend using up to 1000 keywords...you just need 333 keywords and do all three options (exact, broad, phrase to make it 999 kws + add a random kw)...start very small suggested bid...i'm not a big fan of spending a lot on high bid...matter of fact, may test 0.02 cpc as a test...and go from there...if after $5 spent and no sales, move on...another tip is put the ams ads on all regions (the best for me are us, uk, and canada)..the other regions haven't done well but worth testing/trying first and then go from there.

what i've learned is that for ams, it's a numbers game...i have a lot of non fiction books...so some niches work...and some just don't. so it depends on the niche. i also heard that ams ads work better for non fiction vs fiction (i may be wrong though). i also heard fb ads is better for fiction. regardless, i am trying to figure it out. another platform i'm testing is youtube ads...haven't had success yet but worth a try.

anyone else who has experience/success in ads, please feel free to share your tips here so we can all learn. thanks!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bite the Dusty said:
I don't have a lot of experience with AMS, but I'd assume over the holidays isn't the ideal time to measure what's normal.
Amazon ads actually did well for me over the holidays. Not so much with sales, but with KU reads. What I'm wondering is if FB would work better because you're targeting people and their interests as opposed to keywords, etc. FB just seems more personal.

Dee

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
blueman3 said:
for ams tips, i would say do both manual and auto ads for both ebook and paperback.
also for manual ads, i recommend using up to 1000 keywords...you just need 333 keywords and do all three options (exact, broad, phrase to make it 999 kws + add a random kw)...start very small suggested bid...i'm not a big fan of spending a lot on high bid...matter of fact, may test 0.02 cpc as a test...and go from there...if after $5 spent and no sales, move on...another tip is put the ams ads on all regions (the best for me are us, uk, and canada)..the other regions haven't done well but worth testing/trying first and then go from there.

what i've learned is that for ams, it's a numbers game...i have a lot of non fiction books...so some niches work...and some just don't. so it depends on the niche. i also heard that ams ads work better for non fiction vs fiction (i may be wrong though). i also heard fb ads is better for fiction. regardless, i am trying to figure it out. another platform i'm testing is youtube ads...haven't had success yet but worth a try.

anyone else who has experience/success in ads, please feel free to share your tips here so we can all learn. thanks!
I did both auto and manual and manual worked best for me. Amazon just couldn't figure out where to place the auto ads for my book, it got very few views. The manual however got high views and clicks and did well with KU read thrus though very few actual sales.

Dee

·
Registered
401 Posts
@blueman - some answers

My targeting is simple: men and women of a certain age range, living in specific countries, and interested in a few related topics related to my genre. Initially I ran a couple of ads, playing with the descriptions, checking the CTR for a few days, and deciding whether to keep or eliminate. And when I began to get good CTR's I just left it there.

I direct all traffic to my website. From my testing I realized that I was getting better conversion through my website than direct to Amazon, and I've left it that way ever since.

The big thing is getting your target audience right, but you should be able to with some testing and tweaking. Good luck!

blueman3 said:
hi jm2019, good to hear fb working for you. i know fb ads work because i've heard a lot of people scale big with fb ads...i just haven't had success with it but determined to figure it out this year. can i ask some questions
1) for targeting audience, generally speaking...who do you target? do you pick based on interest? pick 1 interest per ad...and compare it to another ad targeting another interest?
2) for description, do you direct traffic to an optin page (to capture email/lead) OR do you direct traffic straight to amazon. currently im directing traffic to b2r since it's a little trackable (as they allow you to put your own fb pixel). i have non fiction books...any other tips? thanks.

·
Registered
5,875 Posts
jm2019 said:

This is exactly my experience.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Amazon ads spend 3 to 4 x their normal level in November and December, as so many people browse Amazon looking for gifts. All those looky-loos run up your bill! You really can't judge the effectiveness of your ads if you stick your toe in during those months. I learned that the hard way!

If you are new to Amazon ads and want to understand the dashboard, ad types, and how/when the data populates, Bryan Cohen does a fabulous FREE introduction to Amazon ads course. The next one starts next week. I highly recommend it if you are new to AMS ads. I did it and learned a lot, and I had already been running 'successful' campaigns for a while.

https://bryancohen.lpages.co/january-amazon-ad-challenge-2021-ov4/

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Facebook seems to be dying in my opinion. Lots of people are leaving including me.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Marti talbott said:
Facebook seems to be dying in my opinion. Lots of people are leaving including me.
Without getting political (watching my step here, mods), it does seem like Facebook has managed to torque off both sides during the previous two election sides. That's a rare feat, when you think about it.

A number of my friends have been leaving on principled reasons. Others have been spending less time there because of all the vitriol.

It might mean cheaper clicks, but it will mean less valuable traffic, IMO.

·
Registered
317 Posts
DmGuay said:
Amazon ads spend 3 to 4 x their normal level in November and December, as so many people browse Amazon looking for gifts. All those looky-loos run up your bill! You really can't judge the effectiveness of your ads if you stick your toe in during those months. I learned that the hard way!

If you are new to Amazon ads and want to understand the dashboard, ad types, and how/when the data populates, Bryan Cohen does a fabulous FREE introduction to Amazon ads course. The next one starts next week. I highly recommend it if you are new to AMS ads. I did it and learned a lot, and I had already been running 'successful' campaigns for a while.

https://bryancohen.lpages.co/january-amazon-ad-challenge-2021-ov4/
I took DmGuay's advice, and I'm much more informed for taking Cohen's course. I got the basics down, have a game plan for ads for launch, and from there I can learn more and try new things with AMS, figure out how to scale, or learn how to sell on other platforms. I was overwhelmed and unsure before that.

Patrick1980 said:
Without getting political (watching my step here, mods), it does seem like Facebook has managed to torque off both sides during the previous two election sides. That's a rare feat, when you think about it.

A number of my friends have been leaving on principled reasons. Others have been spending less time there because of all the vitriol.

It might mean cheaper clicks, but it will mean less valuable traffic, IMO.
This is what I've been thinking, and another reason I'm glad I got introduced to AMS first. I might be mistaken, I haven't been on Facebook long and don't use it, but I don't want to invest heavily in something on the way out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts