Kindle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought this would be a fun topic (and hopefully it hasn't already been done to death; I don't remember seeing a thread about it since I've been here).

Which writer do you count as your biggest influence (and why), and which are you most compared to? Are they the same?

For me, they are: Dean Koontz. Though Stephen King is probably my favorite writer, no one writes a chase like Dean Koontz --- and I love a good chase. My novel No Limit is almost nothing BUT chase, and is definitely influenced by Koontz's Watchers (my favorite book), though as I was writing it there was no conscious decision to have some of the same story elements. It makes me happy when people compare my writing to his, because I was trying to capture the same sense of panic so many of his works do (or at least his earlier ones).

As much as I'd be honored to be compared to King, he gets much further into the heads of his characters than I think I ever could. :)

What about you? Who's your influence? Who do people compare you to?

·
Registered
513 Posts
What a fun topic!  :D

One of my favorite fantasy authors is George R. R. Martin, but I've also been heavily influenced by what I call the "sharp writing" in YA novels like The Hunger Games, by Suzanne Collins. I love it when a book grabs me by my pajama top and doesn't let me go to sleep until I've read one.. more... chapter!

Some of my beta readers were kind enough to compare me to Kristin Cashore, author of another of my favorite books, Graceling.  I'm not sure if that's because they're both fantasies with great heroines, or because I've tried to encorporate that sharp writing into my high fantasy.  Either way, I'm not quite sure I trust them, because that's high flattery  ;).

Can't wait to hear others' responses!

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Influences ... Asimov, Bradbury, Clarke ... thru to ... Weber, Wiest, and Zelzany.

I'm probably most directly inspired by Lee and Miller, and L.E. Modesitt.

I'm most frequently compared to Heinlein.

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
My biggest influences have been American thriller writers, ie James Patterson and Karen Rose.

But my books have been compared to Lynda la Plante's Prime Suspect novels.  ;)

·
Registered
83 Posts
When I was an ugly teenager I loved National Lampoon magazine.  Especially a writer named John Hughes.  His stories were told in a casual voice (usually narrated by a kid or a high schooler), and they were always really, really funny.  I wanted to write stories like that, and was confident I could pull it off.  Then I sat down in front of the typewriter (this was back when dinosaurs roamed the earth), and realized it was much harder than it seemed.  The greats make it look easy, as they say...  Hughes went on to write and direct a ton of classic 80s movie comedies (Vacation, Sixteen Candles, Pretty in Pink, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, etc.), but I discovered him as a writer first.  And I'd have to say he's my biggest influence, as improbable as that might seem.  But if you read my novel, Crossroads Road, you'll see that it's true.  I never fully recovered from those National Lampoon days.    

·
Registered
586 Posts
Fredster said:
Thought this would be a fun topic (and hopefully it hasn't already been done to death; I don't remember seeing a thread about it since I've been here).

Which writer do you count as your biggest influence (and why), and which are you most compared to? Are they the same?

For me, they are: Dean Koontz. Though Stephen King is probably my favorite writer, no one writes a chase like Dean Koontz --- and I love a good chase. My novel No Limit is almost nothing BUT chase, and is definitely influenced by Koontz's Watchers (my favorite book), though as I was writing it there was no conscious decision to have some of the same story elements. It makes me happy when people compare my writing to his, because I was trying to capture the same sense of panic so many of his works do (or at least his earlier ones).

As much as I'd be honored to be compared to King, he gets much further into the heads of his characters than I think I ever could. :)

What about you? Who's your influence? Who do people compare you to?
Arthur Machen
Algernon Blackwood
H P Lovecraft
M R James
Mary Shelley
Bram Stoker
E A Poe
Lord Dundsany
W H Hodgson
Mrs Riddell
S Lefanu
S King
D Koontz
R Campbell
J Ketchum
J Hill
Not necessarily in that order. I don't think I am compared to any of these writers. Other authors say I have a style of my own. The more you read and write, the better you should become. I wouldn't mind being in Steve or Dean's tax bracket though, all the same. I think both of them has lost it a bit lately.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Jackie Collins ;D I love a good bonkbuster and wanted to write one, and Jackie has the format nailed.

Swallow has been compared to three authors: Jacqueline Susann, Jilly Cooper, and Jackie Collins. Well, the reader said 'Jackie Collins meets Spinal Tap.' I liked that one. ;D

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
My influences: Camus, Graham Greene, Celine, Dostoevsky, Walker Percy, Flannery O'Connor, Paul Auster, Madison Smartt Bell, Denis Johnson, Irvine Welsh, Patrick Modiano. I would not write the way I do if I hadn't read them. I modeled the structure of Telescope Builder (short stories that both stand alone and form a narrative) on Modiano's 'De Si Braves Garcons.' One editor compared one of my short stories to Salinger. Some readers have compared one of my poems to Allen Ginsberg's Howl (!). I set out to write Cemetery Wrote the way Camus or Greene would've written about Southern California politics in the '90s, but a friend said it read more like Elmore Leonard as filmed by Quentin Tarantino.

·
Registered
869 Posts
David Eddings is my favorite author and I've been compared to him twice.  I've also been compared to Piers Anthony a couple of times due to my punny humor. (though much less extreme)

I've also been compared to a 14yr old doing a class project worthy of an F, so I've got that going for me. :D

·
Registered
27 Posts
The influences thing is tricky because I can say I was influenced by the likes of William Gibson, Raymond Chandler and Cormac MacCarthy, but probably don't write like any of them in particular. As for comparisons, I, ah, haven't developed enough of a following to figure that out yet.

But seriously, prosewise, those three are what I'd like to write like. I probably just end up writing like myself. Not sure if that's an improvement...

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Matt Maxwell said:
The influences thing is tricky because I can say I was influenced by the likes of William Gibson, Raymond Chandler and Cormac MacCarthy, but probably don't write like any of them in particular. ... I probably just end up writing like myself. Not sure if that's an improvement...
Yeah, true. When I cite influences, it's because I learned things by reading those writers, I saw how they worked their magic. But one of my favorite books is still "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" but I don't cite it because it's so spectacular and original that I didn't really learn anything from it, I just love it as the towering masterpiece of writing and literature that it is.

·
Registered
950 Posts
By far my biggest influence is James Redfield author of Celestine Prophecies. And the only comparisons I have gotten so far is for my book, The First Day After Life where I was compared to Richard Bach author of Jonathan Livingston Seagull.

I obviously write in a number of different genres, and I absolutely have a style. But I genuinely wonder who my overall style is comparable to. All of my books deal with sexual/emotional education in some way. And all of my novels but one are allegories. I'm not sure who in the past blended those two features in their work.

It's funny, I was reading a recent review for Fixing Cupid and the reviewer said that she didn't love the references that I made to the male anatomy but she understood it because it was "the author's thing".

Ha! Is that really my thing? Well, I guess I should just be happy that I have a thing. And she could possibly be correct about that because the two books that I'm releasing this month both deal with the same sort of stuff. 8)

Please, if anyone knows of someone that wrote my type of books let me know. I would love to have someone that I can compare my work to.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts