Kindle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the hardest time when I'm between novels deciding which novel to read next....so many great choices to read on Kindle!  In this case, it's even harder because I'm down to free books due to budgetary guilt, having racked up my Amazon account for at least a week  :D    My choices are:

1.  Whiskey Rebels
2.  Silent in the Sanctuary  (yes, I read Silent in the Cemetery already)
3.  Pacific Avenue

I love historical fiction, but I'm a stickler about good writing.  I just need a fellow reader or two to push me over the edge.  Which novel should I read next?  Thanks!

Just call me,
Undecided

·
Registered
9,181 Posts
Libro - Maybe you meant Silent in the Grave?  If you liked the first Deanna Raybourn book, you will love Silent in the Sanctuary and will probably be sucked into spending 9.99 to read Silent on the Moor that came out this month.  Whiskey Rebels was a really good read also (I was lucky enough to get it when it was free), but I enjoyed the historical romance of the "Silent" books more.

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
The only one of the three I have read is The Whiskey Rebels and I liked it a lot. It's written from two different perspectives; Joan and Ethan. Joan's story starts way before Ethan's, but eventually, the stories coincide.

I sampled another of his books, The Coffee Trader, and as soon as my budget permits, I'll be getting that one.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
crebel said:
Libro - Maybe you meant Silent in the Grave?
Crebel -- Ha ha, yes, I did mean Silent in the Grave. :)

Gertie -- I used the "look inside" feature on the David Liss books, including The Coffee Trader, and the writing looks really, really good. It will be a tough call, which book to read first. I don't read more than one fiction book at a time, so I'll have to read really fast! Whiskey Rebels was one of the first novels I downloaded on my K2 and I did get it for free!

LDB -- The Adamas blueprint is getting good reviews so far. I'll have to download that novel, too.

Thanks mucho :)

·
Registered
677 Posts
I have both books and read both. Both of them were very good. I agree Silent in the Sanctuary has a little more romance to it. It is also a little easier to read. It took me a while to get used to Whiskey Rebels going back and forth between the 2 perspectives from the 2 main characters.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
I just finished Taking Woodstock and it was a debate of what to read next. The Whiskey Rebels was on my list because my son said it was very good. Of course, there is also the ever-present Outlander. But I decided to go back to The Black Tower which I started awhile ago and then got distracted. This is part of my new rule to actually try and finish books and not leave them lying around half-read.

Now it is a question of: can I remember what was going on without restarting the book? I am 21% into it.

L

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
I too have only read The Whiskey Rebels. The story was very good. I've already decided this will be one of my rereads at some point. And I have been looking at The Coffee Trader this morning, debating on whether to go ahead and purchase before it hits 9.99.
Good luck and let us know what you chose and what you think.
deb

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
I haven't yet read Whiskey Rebels or Pacific Avenue, though I have both.  Silent in the Sanctuary was good and you'll probably like it if you liked Silent in the Grave.  But yeah, you may then want to spend the $9.99 to get the third one. ;)

·
Registered
144 Posts
Seems to me, you can not go wrong.  I read Silent in the Grave and enjoyed it but needed a break from that genre for a bit.  I am about ready to start Silent in the Sanctuary.  Easy reads but some powerful ideas.    Reading the comments of others, I may well read Whiskey Rebels next.    I love these kinds of problems... so many good books from which to choose.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
mumsicalwhimsy said:
Seems to me, you can not go wrong. I read Silent in the Grave and enjoyed it but needed a break from that genre for a bit. I am about ready to start Silent in the Sanctuary. Easy reads but some powerful ideas. Reading the comments of others, I may well read Whiskey Rebels next. I love these kinds of problems... so many good books from which to choose.
I loved both Whiskey Rebels and Silent in the Grave. I have Pacific Avenue but haven't read it yet. After reading Whiskey Rebels (rather long book), I needed something lighter so I went with Every Crooked Nanny which was a lot of fun. It reminded me of the troubles that Stephanie Plum would get herself into. The writing and story isn't on par with Janet Evanovich but it was the fun and light read that I needed to unclutter my mind from the details in Whiskey Rebels :)

·
Registered
289 Posts
I've read both, libro.  And I must say that both were good reads, however I was REALLY impressed with the Whiskey Rebels.  The writing was exceptional, and the subject matter was very relavent to today's financial upheaval.  And it's very odd, but the protagonist and antagonist seem to switch places gradually over the course of the novel.  I couldn't put it down.  And I've recommended it highly to a few of my fellow readers.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all these great reviews.  I got sidetracked from both of these books (easy to do when scanning this board), but I will definitely pick up Whiskey Rebels next.  I remember that the writing was excellent!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts