Kindle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope everyone has been enjoying the exciting events in this week's reading! For next Thursday you should read up to location 5428. And, for those who haven't seen the other post, The Whiskey Rebels is no longer free. It's gone up to $9.99.

Ethan Saunders

1. Were you surprised to see Joan at the Binghams' party?

2. At the party, Ethan asked Joan what events she was involved in, but she wouldn't tell him (location 4100 ish). What do you think she's involved in?

3. Who do you think the note Reynolds left in the tree was for? What do you think of the contents?

4. What do you think will happen to Pearson now that his money troubles have been revealed (to us and Hamilton, anyway)?

Joan Maycott

1. Do you think Phineas will be back? If so, do you think he'll continue to be a villain?

2. How did you feel reading about Andrew's death?

3. Joan says, "They were days when my enemies ate and slept and prospered and advanced their goals, while I did nothing, and in doing nothing I aided them, for that is how it is when faced with evil men. One must either resist or, in varying degrees, collaborate " (location 4121). What do you think of this philosophy?

4. Besides seeing Brackenridge, what do you think Joan's plans for avoiding prison are? Why do you think she didn't tell Brackenridge the whole truth, or tell her whole plan to Dalton and Skye?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ethan Saunders

I was, actually. I did not expect to see her at such a fancy place, hobnobbing with the rich important people.

2. At the party, Ethan asked Joan what events she was involved in, but she wouldn't tell him (location 4100 ish). What do you think she's involved in?

I think she's involved in the Whiskey Rebellion, and helping to bring down the BUS. The whiskey tax is, at least indirectly, what caused Andrew's death. She probably hates Hamilton and anything related to the Bank.

3. Who do you think the note Reynolds left in the tree was for? What do you think of the contents?

It was probably for someone from out west who was affected by the whiskey tax. I'm guessing Dalton, though it also occurred to me that it could be for Joan. Though that last line about Mrs. Pearson seemed like it was from one cruel person and intended for another cruel person, and I have a hard time believing that Joan and Dalton would be so horrible.

4. What do you think will happen to Pearson now that his money troubles have been revealed (to us and Hamilton, anyway)?

I think he'll be disgraced, possibly put in prison. Not right away, of course, but by the end of the book I'm sure he'll be a ruined man. And it would be what he deserved.

Joan Maycott

1. Do you think Phineas will be back? If so, do you think he'll continue to be a villain?

I'm sure he'll be back, though in what capacity it's hard to say. I feel like he might be changed, that what happened in the cabin scared him straight. On the other hand, he's all to willing to kill Indians and rape pregnant women, so he might be even more horrible.

I never really felt that connected to Andrew, but all the same I had tears in my eyes.

3. Joan says, "They were days when my enemies ate and slept and prospered and advanced their goals, while I did nothing, and in doing nothing I aided them, for that is how it is when faced with evil men. One must either resist or, in varying degrees, collaborate " (location 4121). What do you think of this philosophy?

This is just like saying if you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem. I do not like this philosophy or agree with it, because it heaps guilt on otherwise innocent people.

4. Besides seeing Brackenridge, what do you think Joan's plans for avoiding prison are? Why do you think she didn't tell Brackenridge the whole truth, or tell her whole plan to Dalton and Skye?

She probably didn't tell Dalton and Skye her whole plan because they would not have approved. As to the other questions, I have no idea.

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
When I saw this post I thought I had missed a week. Then I realized this is Thursday, so we have new questions. So, here goes.

Ethan Saunders

Shocked, even. When last we saw Joan, she had lost everything. I knew their paths had to cross sometime, but this meeting in such a place took me completely by surprise.

She hinted at it very strongly in the beginning. Joan is definitely involved in the Whiskey Rebellion.

I don't remember this. Is that the note Lavien showed to Ethan?

I don't think Pearson would have come back unless he had some plan to recoup his losses.

Joan Maycott

Yes, I think Phineas will be back, and yes, I think he will continue to be a villain. He ran to save himself.

Not terribly surprised. I always expected him to die.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." Edmund Burke

I think if Joan told her whole plan to Dalton and Skye they would have tried to stop her. We don't know a whole lot about her plan at this time, but Joan seems like a person who always has a plan.

·
Super Moderator
67,316 Posts
gertiekindle said:
When I saw this post I thought I had missed a week. Then I realized this is Thursday, so we have new questions. So, here goes.

Ethan Saunders

Shocked, even. When last we saw Joan, she had lost everything. I knew their paths had to cross sometime, but this meeting in such a place took me completely by surprise.
I think the timelines are not the same in both threads. . .because after Ethan meets Joan at the party, we go back to Joan and it's still clearly just immediately following Andrew's death. . . .her whole story is around 1781 if I remember the dates at the top of her chapters. Ethan's chapters don't have dates, but must be at least a few months later and only encompass a few days, whereas Joan's story has obviously taken several years to get to the point she's at. thinks kind of made more sense once I got that in my mind.

And I still say the whole thing proves that nothing has changed in banking/finance in 200+ years! :)

Ann

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
gertiekindle said:

I don't remember this. Is that the note Lavien showed to Ethan?
The day after the party Ethan went to the City Tavern to talk to Duer (but he wasn't there). While there Ethan saw Reynolds write a note, then leave. Ethan followed him and watched Reynolds put a fake rock in a hole in a tree, which contained a coded note. You can read the note at about location 4365.

As to the time line, I think I remember Ethan once said the war was 10 years ago (maybe). Wikipedia says, "After seven years of war came effective American victory on the battlefield in October 1781, with British recognition of the United States' independence and sovereignty in 1783."

So Ethan's story is about 1791, if I remember correctly, putting it 10 years after Joan's.

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
nebulinda said:
The day after the party Ethan went to the City Tavern to talk to Duer (but he wasn't there). While there Ethan saw Reynolds write a note, then leave. Ethan followed him and watched Reynolds put a fake rock in a hole in a tree, which contained a coded note. You can read the note at about location 4365.
Thanks, I'll go back and read that.

As to the time line, I think I remember Ethan once said the war was 10 years ago (maybe). Wikipedia says, "After seven years of war came effective American victory on the battlefield in October 1781, with British recognition of the United States' independence and sovereignty in 1783."

So Ethan's story is about 1791, if I remember correctly, putting it 10 years after Joan's.
Yes, Ethan has mentioned it's 10 years after the war. Your timeline sounds right.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Ethan Saunders

Yes! I didn't expect Joan and Ethan to meet so soon! I'm still trying to figure out what year Ethan's half of the story is taking place, though. How much later than Joan's? Months? Years?

She is involved in some plot to bring Tindall down. I'm still not exactly sure how Tindall is linked to Duer and Reynolds. Either this plot is starting to get complicated or I'm missing stuff by going several days between readings. I'm so tempted to read ahead!
I'm also impressed by how much Joan has changed. In Ethan's story, she seems manipulative. Up until now in Joan's story, she was candid to the point of being foolhardy. It was also quite interesting to see Joan described by Ethan. You don't usually get to see a narrator described from someone else's perspective.

The plot thickens! I was confused as to whether the Scotsman was Reynolds or not, and am glad you're clearing it up! I was thinking, if it was Reynolds, why would Ethan not recognize him? And who is he working for now, if not Duer?

I think Pearson will be sacrificed by Duer.

Joan Maycott

I'm not sure. Phineas is unpredictable b/c it doesn't seem like he truly believes in anything himself. First he attaches himself to Joan, but then he turns 180. He gleefully threatens to rape her, but then can't stand to be involved in killing her.

There was something in Joan's first lines of the story that made me think this was inevitable. That Joan was indirectly involved, more importantly that she sees Andrew's death as something she could have prevented, is tragic.

It makes sense.

I think Joan realizes that if she were to reveal her plan in its entirety, Dalton and Skye might back out or try to talk her out of it. I don't know what the plan is, but it seems pretty grand and, from her first chapter, traitorous.

P.S. Is anybody else getting thrown off by the switching between the narrators? I realize it is probably necessary to the plot, but after every chapter, I feel as if I have to find my footing again.

N :)

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
My kindle broke and I wasn't able to finish the reading until today.  Boy am I glad to be back to kindling.  I had to revert to paper and it was weird.

Ethan Saunders

I knew that they would have to meet at some time but the last time that we had seen her before that she was destitute and fighting for her life.  It was interesting to see her hob nobbing with the president's wife and other high society ladies.

I think that she want to wreak havoc on Duer, Tindall, and and anything that they hold dear.

I think that Reynolds was leaving a note for the whiskey rebels

I think that he has a plan to recoup his loss or at least avoid paying his debts.  I believe that Duer is instrumental in his downfall and will ultimately sacrifice him.

Joan Maycott

I think that his soul is twisted and warped.  I think that he has yet to play a pivotal part in this story.

I was surprised.  I have read some of the other responses that said that you kind of expected it but I just didn't.

I whole heartily agree with this philosophy.  The quote was listed earlier. 

I think that her plan was very long term and will become her reason for living.  In addition, I think that she doesn't fully believe that the men would follow a woman's plan or be able to keep all aspects secret until necessary.

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Marguerite said:
My kindle broke and I wasn't able to finish the reading until today. Boy am I glad to be back to kindling. I had to revert to paper and it was weird.
What happened to your Kindle? Did Amazon have to replace it? Glad you can Kindle again.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
I had only had it one month and the screen went half black and the other half was frozen.  I tried to reset but no luck.  Amazon had a new kindle to me in two days.  Great customer service

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Marguerite said:
I had only had it one month and the screen went half black and the other half was frozen. I tried to reset but no luck. Amazon had a new kindle to me in two days. Great customer service
That's got to be scary. Thank goodness for Amazon.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
you have no idea how glad I was that I had some back up paper books.  I shudder to think of being without books to read.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
I was out of town all week and pretty much agree with most of what is written here this week...didn't have time to reflect on what I read over a week ago.  I'll get back on baord for week 6's discussion.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts