Kindle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. Sorry this is ridiculously late. I was so busy/tired on Thursday and Friday I completely forgot. But it probably won't happen again, as I don't usually have things due on Friday. For next week read up to location 6225.

Ethan Saunders

1. What do you think of the way Mr. Pearson treats his family and his guests?

2. How do you think Ethan should act on the information he got from Turner? How do you think he will act?

3. Do you think that Cynthia's reasons for not leaving are good ones? What do you think will happen to her if she stays? If she goes?

Joan Maycott

1. What do you think of Joan's plan for Tindall and her conversation with Phineas?

2. Momentarily forgetting any knowledge of history you might have, do you think that Joan's whiskey rebellion and plans to destroy the BUS will work?

3. What do you think of the change that has happened in Joan since she first went out west?

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
nebulinda said:
Hey guys. Sorry this is ridiculously late. I was so busy/tired on Thursday and Friday I completely forgot. But it probably won't happen again, as I don't usually have things due on Friday. For next week read up to location 6225.
Glad you're back.

Ethan Saunders

What a horrible man. I thought initially that Ethan's opinion of Pearson was based on sour grapes to some extent. That may have been true, but I don't think even Ethan really knew the extent of the man's brutality.

Pearson's treatment of his family and guests could be classed as excessively rude and boorish. His treatment of Ethan understandable under the circumstances. I'm very much afraid that Pearson would have carried out his threats against his son if Joan hadn't intervened. It appears from the burns on the boy's wrist and his mother's wrist, that Pearson doesn't need much provocation to abuse them.

2. How do you think Ethan should act on the information he got from Turner? How do you think he will act?

How Ethan should act is to use this information to expose and destroy Pearson. He is a royalist or more likely a war profiteer considering his wealth (now gone) and position in society.

I'm afraid Ethan doesn't have much control over his emotions. His life was destroyed, his mentor murdered, and Cynthia stolen from him. Understandably, he would be pretty impulsive at this point. Hopefully, he'll calm down some and act more rationally. I think Leonidas may control him somewhat, but in the end, it will come down to Ethan and Pearson. Considering Pearson's absolute ruthlessness, the outcome is not at all certain.

3. Do you think that Cynthia's reasons for not leaving are good ones? What do you think will happen to her if she stays? If she goes?

For the times, yes, I can understand Cynthia's reasons. She has no money of her own and no relatives to rely on. She might rely on the Binghams, but Mr. Bingham might treat her as a deserting wife.

If Cynthia stays, I think Pearson will hurt her badly because of Ethan, and she will allow it because of the children. That is what usually happens.

If she goes ... but she has nowhere to go.

Joan Maycott

1. What do you think of Joan's plan for Tindall and her conversation with Phineas?

I think Joan's plan to kill Tindall was as much to give herself "street cred" as it was to exact revenge. Her conversation with Phineas was almost surreal. The boy is severely mental and he admitted himself that he might go off the deep end at any moment and kill her.

2. Momentarily forgetting any knowledge of history you might have, do you think that Joan's whiskey rebellion and plans to destroy the BUS will work?

Illegal stills and the war between "revenoors" and distillers continued for a couple of centuries after the events in this book.

No, I don't think it would have worked any more than Shay's Rebellion worked. The government is becoming more centralized and Washington is still revered. He is backed by quite a bit of power, and he backs Hamilton. If anything can bring down the bank, it's Duer and his "pump and dump" schemes.

3. What do you think of the change that has happened in Joan since she first went out west?

I think Joan's character showed itself early in the story. Once she sets her mind to something, she goes after it. Only her methods and the size of the fish she goes after have changed.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Ethan Saunders

1. What do you think of the way Mr. Pearson treats his family and his guests?There are not enough words to say how I feel about Jacob Pearson. He was condescending, rude, arrogant, elitist…to name a few. He has to bring people down to make himself feel superior. But his brutal treatment of his wife and son makes him the lowest of the low. In the 1700's (and until most recently) domestic violence was considered something between a husband and wife to deal with and not considered a crime. Cynthia and her children are in real danger.
2. How do you think Ethan should act on the information he got from Turner? How do you think he will act?I think many people in power are obviously aware of Turner and what he did to Ethan and Fleet so he can't go to the authorities. Who would believe Turner, a British agent, if he exposed Pearson as the person who set up Ethan and Fleet and then killed Fleet. Ethan will have to clear his name, avenge Fleet's death, and save Cynthia and her children by bringing down and exposing Pearson…however, if I were Ethan I would shoot Pearson in the head.
3. Do you think that Cynthia's reasons for not leaving are good ones? What do you think will happen to her if she stays?
Personally speaking there would be no good reason to stay with Pearson. If I thought my family was in danger, and they obviously are in real danger, I would live on the street and do what I had to do to protect my family. So even given the fact it was the 1700's I would leave. I know the times were different back then but I can't imagine Joan would have put up with any domestic abuse.

Joan Maycott
1. What do you think of Joan's plan for Tindall and her conversation with Phineas?Phineas was obviously deeply affected over the murder of his parents by the Indians. I think he killed Tindall for Joan because it was a way for him to do something good in light of all the bad and evil he has seen. The kindness Joan showed him during the move west probably reminded him of his mother.
2. Momentarily forgetting any knowledge of history you might have, do you think that Joan's whiskey rebellion and plans to destroy the BUS will work?Forgetting history and the obvious knowledge we all have of the failure of the BUS, Hamilton etc.…I think Joan can do anything she puts her mind to including pulling off the Whiskey Rebellion without any of the men helping her.
3. What do you think of the change that has happened in Joan since she first went out west?I'm not sure she has changed all that much. She was always strong, smart and determined to succeed whether to write her book or make the best of her deplorable life in the West. Her experiences have only made her more determined.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Nebulinda...There are 2 week 5's on here.  I think this one should be week 6 but I'm not sure.  Since week 5 was last week's questions I was looking for week 6 questions until I read the questions here .  Am I the only one who is confused (and that is always a possiblity).

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Ethan Saunders

I think that there a few people in this world that clan be classified as evil.  I think that he qualifies.  As such, I am not surprised but instead surprised that his guests take it.

I think that if he is not impulsive, he could take him down.  His anger might not let him pause to plan a suitable attack although I hope he does

3. Do you think that Cynthia's reasons for not leaving are good ones? What do you think will happen to her if she stays?

If she goes?  I agree that Joan would have found a way but I don't think that she was raised to fight for herself.  She was what they used to call gently raised.  I think it is beyond her to come up with a plan that will save her as well as her children.  I think that she should look for a champion.

Joan Maycott

I think that she got very lucky.  I am not sure that she could have done it herself.  I was surprised by her conversation with Phineas.

I don't think that she will be successful but I wish she were going after the ones that directly harmed her instead of Hamilton

I think  that she was always a pragmatist.  Events would always shape her because she would not sit idle when event happened around her.  I like her scrappiness.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Ethan Saunders

The man is a brute who will do anything to get his way, including abuse his own child, terrorize his own wife, lie, and murder.

Ethan has enough information about Pearson's dealings with Duer and Reynolds, including Duer's possible double-crossing of Pearson, to potentially do some serious damage to Pearson's finances and reputation, if he plans it carefully. He also seems to have an ally in Joan. However, I think Ethan will instead rashly give in to his rage and attack and try to kill Pearson.

I think Cynthia has seen enough of Pearson's inclination toward unpredictable violence that even though she may not know exactly what would happen, she is afraid to find out. Also, I imagine that at the time the story is taking place, she would be socially ostracized for leaving a wealthy and presumably well-respected man and running off with Ethan, which seems to be her only viable option. I think whether she stays or goes, she and her children are in danger.

Joan Maycott

It is quite a gutsy move on Joan's part. Phineas continues to surprise me, but Joan is quite resourceful in adapting her plan to events.

I have to sheepishly admit, I don't have any knowledge of the history regarding this subject. I noticed while browsing the TOC that there is some Author's historical note at the end, which I will put off reading until I finish the book. I think Joan's plan will partially work, but that she will be caught and branded a traitor before the end.

In some ways, Joan has undergone a major transformation. She started as an idealistic young woman with romantic notions who probably never imagined she might kill a man, much less plan a murder as step one of a complicated scheme. However, there was always a certain spunkiness in Joan that, given what she has experienced since going West, it's not a complete shock that she would take things into her own hands and even be a leader of men. Andrew, while principled and resourceful, would never been capable of what Joan is doing.

Going to read the earlier posts now!

N :)

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Neekeebee said:

I have to sheepishly admit, I don't have any knowledge of the history regarding this subject. I noticed while browsing the TOC that there is some Author's historical note at the end, which I will put off reading until I finish the book. I think Joan's plan will partially work, but that she will be caught and branded a traitor before the end.
Does anyone think it is too late for Ethan and Cynthia? Maybe Ethan will save Joan and they will end up together.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts